• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft what is the best tripod system

veeramani

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2013
Nevads
I'm convinced about the HOG saddle, but the Manfrotto tripod seems a bit flimsy for field conditions. What is the best option out there that can take a 338 rifle ?

manfrotto is not bad I run a semi auto 308 off of mine with no issues. On the field conditions what's your expectations how far will you carry this thing weight is everything in my line of work their are tripods that are rock solid and weigh in at 30 pounds it is all on the intended use. If manfrotto doesn't work you could try Alamo four star they are a solid setup

The only drawback to the Alamo 4 Star (dclw) is the lack of cant adjustment. If you are on uneven terrain its up to you to level the tripod out with the legs. I've been wanting to try out the tripods offered by precisionriflesolutions.com as they use a ball head which permits adjustment for panning as well as cant.

Can the PRS bipod accept the HOG saddle ?

Yes, the tripod comes with a QD mount you would screw into the female threads of the HOG saddle. Then just click it into the tripod mount. I personally don't like the small thumb screw type adjustment to adjust the head to tilt/cant. I would much rather have something like the Manfrotto 322RC2 Ballhead before the saddle so I can quickly adjust for can't or movement, or multiple target engagements. Its not really possible to use this system with the PRS set up.

I'll second the PRS/SLIK tripod ball head not handling the weight of the PIG/HOG and a 15+ lb gun. It's too much leverage for it to hold the system in place. For what you want to do, a Manfrotto 3221G (old model) also known as the 055xprob model is a happy medium as it's not as light weight as the SLIK but it's not over kill for humping through the bush. You can find them used for a decent price if you look around.

EDIT: Here is a pretty detailed explanation and comparison of the 190 and 055 line up that should help you decide. One thing that is apparent is that weight gets mentioned but if I recall we're talking about a difference of a pound or so.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Manfrotto_055XPROB_tripod/

Last edited:
I have a Slik 700DX... it's on the heavy side though. But it'll come up to 6+ feet, and legs can be splayed out in individual directions. It'll collapse down to sitting height pretty easily. Around 100 dollars with no head on it.

Yeah I'm not sure where you heard manfrotto's were flimsy, they are kind of the gold standard that all other tripods are compared. I run the 055CXPRO3, (carbon fiber) it weighs less than the 4lbs and supports all of my rifles. My first tripod I bought was a SILK from PRS and it was okay, works in pinch, and weighs about 2lbs but does not really exceed as a tripod. Now I use the manfrotto for my rifles and the SILK for my chronograph.

I've run the Manfrotto XPROB tripod with pistol grip 322RC2 head for years and it has held up well and is far from flimsy. The only problem I created was having it attached to the side of my pack. I dropped my heavy pack on the side it was attached to and bent a leg. The extensions inside wouldn't slide out. For about $22 I was able to get a replacement section and fixed it right up.

I have a PRS large and a Manfrotto 190XPROB. The Manfrotto is seriously more beefy than the PRS. I use the PRS for my spotter and the Manfrotto with my pig saddle. It has no issues for field use. It will hold up my heaviest rifle which is my 26" bull barrelled Savage in an XLR chassis. I got my 190XPROB on Amazon delivered free with prime for $129 which is just a bit more than the PRS. I did not want to pay the high price for the Manfrotto trigger head so I took a chance on the Opteka Tacshot trigger head that Amazon sells. It's only $30 and is one serious piece of kit. It's tough, well build and locks up tight. I bought a second and now my spotter and rifle sit on them.

Amazon.com: Opteka TS-1 TacShot Pistol Grip Ball Head with Quick Release Plate for Tripods & Monopods: Camera & Photo

I have a PRS large and a Manfrotto 190XPROB. The Manfrotto is seriously more beefy than the PRS. I use the PRS for my spotter and the Manfrotto with my pig saddle. It has no issues for field use. It will hold up my heaviest rifle which is my 26" bull barrelled Savage in an XLR chassis. I got my 190XPROB on Amazon delivered free with prime for $129 which is just a bit more than the PRS. I did not want to pay the high price for the Manfrotto trigger head so I took a chance on the Opteka Tacshot trigger head that Amazon sells. It's only $30 and is one serious piece of kit. It's tough, well build and locks up tight. I bought a second and now my spotter and rifle sit on them.

Amazon.com: Opteka TS-1 TacShot Pistol Grip Ball Head with Quick Release Plate for Tripods & Monopods: Camera & Photo

That head has a listed weight limit of 6.6lbs, which isn't a lot. Have you used it much and is it slipping at all yet?

No I have not put it through the ringer yet but I can tell you it's much stronger than 6.5lbs. That rifle is about 10 as it sits and my XLR rig is closer to 15. It will lock down at any angle and not move. When locked I can't move it at all.

No I have not put it through the ringer yet but I can tell you it's much stronger than 6.5lbs. That rifle is about 10 as it sits and my XLR rig is closer to 15. It will lock down at any angle and not move. When locked I can't move it at all.

Do you know if Manfrotto or other brand plates will fit in the Quick release?