• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing What is the best wood putty and stain for a wood stock?

keninsb

Private
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2011
Goleta, CA
Hi All. I have a 10-22 stock that has some holes in it. It is a really nice PWS Raptor stock in midnight like this:

Raptor Stock.jpg

Unfortunately it has a few hole in it that should not be there (please don't ask). What putty and stain do you recommend to do the repair? Any input is GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks,
Ken

I posted the same question on Calguns and one of the members sent me this link on stock repair:
http://www.longislandfirearms.com/forum/topic/10718-rifle-stock-repair-lots-of-pics/
The guys used a product called PC Woody Epoxy and the repair turned out pretty nice. He said that he used a crayola and a pencil to recreate the grain. Has anyone heard of this process and how it is performed?
Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ken

Remove the butt plate. Shave off enough wood to mix with glue such that the glue/wood matches the wood on the stock. Use that mixture as a filler. Dry. Sand. Finish with Tung Oil.