• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is the biggest magazine that will fit in the JAE-700 chassis?

TonyBen

Private
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2010
So with the tragic news of JAE closing shop, I charged up my credit card and bought the last JAE-700 long action at Third Generation Shooter's Supply. I originally was going to build a 6.5 Creedmoor, but the short action stocks were in the $2,300 rage while I got the long action stock for $1,700 with my dealer account. So long action it is.

I've built a short action caliber on a long action before without issue. I rebuilt a Savage 110 and went from .270 to 308 and haven't had issues at all.

But since I've got short action calibers covered and I've got another short action Savage in the works (Savage 12 rebuild), it only makes sense to go long action 700 this time, since I don't have a long range rifle in my inventory. I think I've got nine rifles in .308 right now (I've lost count) and I don't really need another with that kind of overlap.

I asked in the other thread for opinions about long action chambering and 300 PRC came up. I did some digging and I like what I see. The only thing I don't have the answer to is what magazines I'll need and if they'll fit in the JAE-700. Lisa told me that people have built 300 PRC's on the JAE-700 but didn't know about the magazines.

From what I gather, I can definitely use 300 WIN mag magazines in the JAE but that would limit my bullet selection and seating depth, which defeats the purpose of having a 300 PRC. Will 338 Lapua mags fit? Or would I have to shoot single shot and just use the magazine as a sled? I guess when you're shooting 1500 yards, is feeding from a magazine even a factor or is that just something the short action tactical bolt gun guys have to worry about?

If it won't work, I'd be willing to choose another chambering that will work with a 300 win mag magazine. Is there anything better than the 300 win mag in that size range? Someone suggested a Bighorn action and it seemed like a great action, so I'll plan on building on that.

Tony.

MDT makes a 300WM magazine that’s 338L-CIP length (3.85in outside, 3.76in COAL).

What’s the length of the magwell you have now? My understanding is the JAE magwells are replaceable somehow; depending on particulars it might be possible to have something 3D printed that would allow CIP-length mags.