• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

F T/R Competition What is the correct target?

BamaAl

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2012
Harvest, AL
This may be the wrong place to post this but I'm not sure where else to put it. What is the right NRA target for high power, prone, with a bi-pod and rear bag?

Edit added because of brain cramp in OP.

Ooops. I forgot to put the distance in my original post. I am talking about F-TR but the range I practice at doesn't go out to those distances so I am trying to figure out a reduced target dimensions for 200 yards.

Re: What is the correct target?

Are you asking about shooting F-class which can use the front bipod and rear bag? If so, the target varies by distance. Try a search for NRA F-class regulations or F-class shooting and see if that fits what you plan to do. It should then be easy to look up target size for distance in the same regulations and then go to the target retailers for the targets. It can be confusing since especially at the longer distances the targets can consist of three different targets, laid over one another, i.e. a high power full size target in two pieces with a high power center with a F-class center on that! Different sources may cut and sell the pieces differently. If you are sure of what you will be shooting, get back and probably some members can tell you where they order and which pieces.

Ok, knowing the distance helps. The problem is that F-class targets start at 300 yards and I do not know any source for a reduction for use at 200 yards. At 500 yards and out, the X is .5 moa and the 10 ring 1.0 moa. However for the 300 yard target, the rings do not follow this pattern. They are slightly smaller (i.e. X is 1.42" rather than 1.5 which would be .5 moa) and there are are no guidelines so we know if the intent is for a further reduction to continue in a linear progression smaller or to remain in a stable progression smaller. Here's a suggestion which assumes a stable progression smaller. Draw your own target for 200 yards as follows: X = .94", 10 = 1.90", 9 = 3.90", 8 = 5.90", 7 = 7.90", 6 = 11.90" and 5 ring is 15.90 circle. The 6 ring and higher is black. The 5 ring is white. I hope my math is ok! Anything you draw close to this should be useful for practice at 200 yards and should help prepare you for a regulation match.

Some clubs will run local events using targets of their own design, based on F Class-compatible MOA/Points values.

X = .5MOA
10= 1MOA
9 = 2MOA
8 = 3MOA
7 = 4MOA
6 = 6MOA
5 = 8MOA

While this may appear different from the above specs, it really isn't once one factors in the thickness of the lines used to draw the rings. Tolerances for NRA sanctioned events would appear (to me) to be a moot point, as there are no NRA targets for under 300yd, and private clubs can determine such matters/tolerances according to their own discretion.

Greg

Here is another way to go about it. You are primarily interested in the reference points on the target that you can see for reticle alignment, i.e X in center and outside diameter of the black. Look at the MR-52 target which is a 200 yard high powder slow fire target reduced from the 600 yard MR-1 target. The black ring is 11.75 inches, only .15" smaller than you need. Of course the scoring rings are not correct but you can measure group size and make sight adjustments to center on the X. Your group size will let you know how well you are doing and reduce in size as you improve even if they don't give a numerical score. The MR-52 target is available at places like www.pistoleer.com. Don't order too many initially however. I've taken these measures from a number of websites and over the years found that measurements posted are not always accurate. For me, using the MR-52 target to represent a reduced F-class target for 200 yards would be the easest way to go because the black is so close to correct in diameter and X is always in the center.

Wow, thanks for the help guys. Sorry it tok me so long to reply. On the road for work.

It sounds like I'm ok with the targets I have been making up to practice with at 200 yards. I've been using this:

No x ring.
10 ring is 0.8"
9 ring is 1.6"
8 ring is 2.4"

Anything outside the 8 ring I consider a miss for practice. With this target I'm scoring 480-510 out of 600 depending on the day but I was afraid I was making them too big and not getting reasonable practice results to measure myself against.

Making it harder than it should be I can deal with. Making it too easy I don't like!

Thanks again for the guidance guys.