• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is the ideal weight of a hunting rifle?

What is the perfect weight for a hunting rifle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That depends on what you're hunting, and from where.
I wouldn't want to stand up from the back of a range rover in Africa and shoot a 5lb 700 nitro express from the shoulder with open sights,
But I wouldn't want a 35lb 20mm anzio sized 10/22 anchor rifle with every tacticool do-dad and nightforce beast to go blast Prarie dogs eith- well, maybe actually. Nevermind I'm out.
Just get two of each, and lots of ammo and have options.

So last two coyote seasons I ran 12lb 10oz gun and this is my new build dropped weight where I could. Already had the barrel or would of went with carbon barrel. This subject is completely personal preference that will depend on the stature of person, how much weight they want to carry and how far it will be carried ect. But as far as me this feels right.
IMG_9425.jpeg
IMG_9337.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Modoc and Boniels
So last two coyote seasons I ran 12lb 10oz gun and this is my new build dropped weight where I could. Already had the barrel or would of went with carbon barrel. This subject is completely personal preference that will depend on the stature of person, how much weight they want to carry and how far it will be carried ect. But as far as me this feels right.View attachment 8152477View attachment 8152479
How are you liking that Stockys carbon fiber stock ?
I have been considering picking one up for a Tikka but havent seen much chatter about them.

Reactions: Boniels and Dochs
I have been considering picking one up for a Tikka but havent seen much chatter about them.
To be honest I have not shot it yet been pretty busy. But after I get a few rounds on it I can let you know. The feel of it good though. I still have to mill the forend for arca rail. I was back and forth between a couple of different light weight options but landed on the stockys to try and was a little easier on the pocket.

Reactions: Boniels
The only correct answer is "it depends".
The best answer. So many variables involved, the user has to decide. I did vote 8-10 as it was the best for me. Another question is what are you hunting? Heck, before I left Virginia, my last outing was with a .300 BO pistol for deer, red dot using Barnes black tips. Everything well under 100 yards-if I can see it, I can hit it.

The best answer. So many variables involved, the user has to decide. I did vote 8-10 as it was the best for me. Another question is what are you hunting? Heck, before I left Virginia, my last outing was with a .300 BO pistol for deer, red dot using Barnes black tips. Everything well under 100 yards-if I can see it, I can hit it.
100% I’ll be honest this would probably be one of the bigger topics in hunting besides caliber and bullet selection. What would be nice is if through some data gathering we could pool together a helpful chart for this question. With the variables being: 1- how far will you be rucking. 2- how many lbs is your gear/equipment & ruck. 3-What kind of stature, weight, height, and physical fitness is the user. 4- caliber choice(per game type and distances shot). 5- supported or unsupported shooting and possible follow up shots. And I’m sure we could go deeper but I feel there could be an assisted answer or there about with this input.

• Love
100% I’ll be honest this would probably be one of the bigger topics in hunting besides caliber and bullet selection. What would be nice is if through some data gathering we could pool together a helpful chart for this question. With the variables being: 1- how far will you be rucking. 2- how many lbs is your gear/equipment & ruck. 3-What kind of stature, weight, height, and physical fitness is the user. 4- caliber choice(per game type and distances shot). 5- supported or unsupported shooting and possible follow up shots. And I’m sure we could go deeper but I feel there could be an assisted answer or there about with this input.
The factor that matters more imo are peoples personal physique and fitness, the other factors are easy to generalize.

For me, a 10lb rifle is about my comfortable limit for any kind of western hunting where a fair amount of hiking is concerned, and in terms of it not being too heavy to swing and point at moving game off-hand, and I prefer an 8-9 lb rifle (with scope and accessories) for the job.

For varmint shooting or very limited walking a 11-12 rifle is fine, but I get tired of it after an hour or two.

I had a average weight 270, probably more than average, probably 9lbs that I used for years. It was a old family gun then i retired it and bought a Remington mountain rifle and could definitely tell the difference. Its nice packing the light one around.

We have found that a bare rifle about 6.5-7 lbs is about the lightest you can go with components that you can trust. Yes there are lighter rifles but the corners you cut are significant to repeatability.
We also guid backcountry hunts and let me tell you this, rifles clients bring that 'never have had this issue before' will have issues on these rugged excursions.

Sendero profile barrels
Bedded chassis or stocks
Quality rings
Rugged scopes.
All of those cost weight savings over some 5 lb pencil rifle.
But you could just about melt the cover off a suppressor with a good setup and still be pounding a target.
Also the shootability due to recoil is hugely impacted by stock shape.

The goal posts of this are so difficult it just becomes pointless asterisks

Plus, most people don’t actually know what their setup weighs as they hunt it anyway.

I always end up around 8.5 9.5 wet and loaded for a general do all hunting rifle

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
That depends on what you're hunting, and from where.
I wouldn't want to stand up from the back of a range rover in Africa and shoot a 5lb 700 nitro express from the shoulder with open sights,
But I wouldn't want a 35lb 20mm anzio sized 10/22 anchor rifle with every tacticool do-dad and nightforce beast to go blast Prarie dogs eith- well, maybe actually. Nevermind I'm out.
Just get two of each, and lots of ammo and have options.
I’m kind of interested in hearing about the ultralight hunting rigs 6 lbs and then extreme load outs up to 11.5lbs like the Remington M2010 versions.

How long is a rope?

How do you hunt? What cartridge? Are you recoil sensitive?
There are extremes. Out in the western Rockies we have to hike and be able to take long shots, verses Texas shooting where you can walk from your truck to a blind and shoot. So weight and yardage is not a problem.

Reactions: xsn10s
So last two coyote seasons I ran 12lb 10oz gun and this is my new build dropped weight where I could. Already had the barrel or would of went with carbon barrel. This subject is completely personal preference that will depend on the stature of person, how much weight they want to carry and how far it will be carried ect. But as far as me this feels right.View attachment 8152477View attachment 8152479
That is a sweet looking build. My ideal weight for a long day of hiking is around 10lbs. I’m actually doing a new build with a 300 WSM Savage 1600 in a MTD Oryx, Sig scope, and possibly going to add an Eric Cosita NextGen E2 brake, full Arca rail. Should put me at 11.2 without AICS 7 round box mags. It’s a little heavier than my ideal, but I think it will give me confidence out to 500 yards. I’m confident at 300 yards in the field.

Reactions: Dochs
I’m hunting mule deer and elk in Utah. I’m very solid in the field at 300 yard shots and I’m wanting to be confident out past 500 yards. My build has me at 11.2 lbs now. I was trying to understand what others are carrying in these long range build outs. The military M2010 Remington is running around 11.8 at minimum. I’m carrying a lot less gear than the guys sporting that around. So I figure staying under 12 should me my goal for my 300 WSM in the MTD Oryx chassis.

Reactions: Genin
My primary rifle is a 300PRC AXSR that sits at about 18-20lbs.

My other hunting rifle is a custom 6.5PRC that is about 11lbs, it carries well but is MUCH more difficult to shoot accurately off things in the field (logs, rocks, stumps, packs etc.).

I am more concerned about hitting an animal with confidence than the weight. What's worse, wounding an animal or having to sweat a bit more?
AXSR.JPG

I have a near twin to the guy you quoted. Overall I think it is a Decent stock for the money. I wasn't super impressed with the fit and finish but it is totally usable. After bedding and cleaning up some of the fitment I am happy for the price. Mine was also a blem. Whenever I have bought any blemished products I usually am not 100% sure why it was rejected. This stock was more obvious.

Reactions: XLR308 and Dochs
I’m hunting mule deer and elk in Utah. I’m very solid in the field at 300 yard shots and I’m wanting to be confident out past 500 yards. My build has me at 11.2 lbs now. I was trying to understand what others are carrying in these long range build outs. The military M2010 Remington is running around 11.8 at minimum. I’m carrying a lot less gear than the guys sporting that around. So I figure staying under 12 should me my goal for my 300 WSM in the MTD Oryx chassis.

Nobody is running the M2010 in the military because it was a giant POS and a flop because Remington delivered the army turds. I've shot and handled an M2010 though and that weight figure is probably the base rifle figure. Fully kitted out they're like 18lbs. I've hunted with rifles like that and if you're not completely out of shape they aren't miserable to hunt with if there's not a lot of elevation and you're not covering more than a couple few miles in a day, I'd still much rather hunt with a lighter rifle though.

There are extremes. Out in the western Rockies we have to hike and be able to take long shots, verses Texas shooting where you can walk from your truck to a blind and shoot. So weight and yardage is not a problem.
You are 100% correct. If I walk 100 yards from the truck to the blind, we need to make a closer spot to hide the truck. Sometimes I just sit in the truck. Click the road feeder on and off a couple times and wait. 😂

God bless Texas.

• Haha
Reactions: Boniels and XLR308
I have a near twin to the guy you quoted. Overall I think it is a Decent stock for the money. I wasn't super impressed with the fit and finish but it is totally usable. After bedding and cleaning up some of the fitment I am happy for the price. Mine was also a blem. Whenever I have bought any blemished products I usually am not 100% sure why it was rejected. This stock was more obvious.
This one is finished pretty good it was not a blem and everything went together perfect fit bottom metal and all and feeds just fine no tweaking on anything.

I like the ergos from a view but am most curious about the comb height and how it behaves under recoil and ability to stay on target as well as the grip.
The grip looks pretty skimpy to me, i have fairly large hands but not gorilla grips just not sure the grip is right for me but if the distance to the trigger is right i could live with it.
Curious to hear your input regarding ergos.

Nobody is running the M2010 in the military because it was a giant POS and a flop because Remington delivered the army turds. I've shot and handled an M2010 though and that weight figure is probably the base rifle figure. Fully kitted out they're like 18lbs. I've hunted with rifles like that and if you're not completely out of shape they aren't miserable to hunt with if there's not a lot of elevation and you're not covering more than a couple few miles in a day, I'd still much rather hunt with a lighter rifle though.
Great response and perspective.

My other hunting rifle is a custom 6.5PRC that is about 11lbs, it carries well but is MUCH more difficult to shoot accurately off things in the field (logs, rocks, stumps, packs etc.).

I am more concerned about hitting an animal with confidence than the weight. What's worse, wounding an animal or having to sweat a bit more?View attachment 8153173
That is an amazing build. I agree with you. I’m trying to find that balance of just enough build out to gain that confidence out past 500, and still pack out what I shoot with my gear. I shot a big Muly last year and It was a beast to quarter out and pack, but it was with the same savage im rebuilding at 305 yards. There were even larger deer out to 800-1200. There’s the new build, last years kill with the stock build.

Attachments

• D999DF61-7C94-4F79-99CB-D41B817D5E7F.jpeg
    D999DF61-7C94-4F79-99CB-D41B817D5E7F.jpeg
    307.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 1F4B196A-70A7-49F0-BABA-929195A29876.jpeg
    1F4B196A-70A7-49F0-BABA-929195A29876.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 73
  • Love
Reactions: 96C

I am more concerned about hitting an animal with confidence than the weight. What's worse, wounding an animal or having to sweat a bit more?View attachment 8153173
I’m interested what you may think about the Bog Serpa Carbon tripod? Weighs only 4.1lbs. Here’s my build. Looking like 10.5 lbs, but .60 will be added when the Arca rail is added.

Attachments

• 9895D04F-BB3C-4256-B037-36D82CE21677.jpeg
    9895D04F-BB3C-4256-B037-36D82CE21677.jpeg
    307.3 KB · Views: 35
  • D8FA0B5C-30A9-4FFB-AF53-D574084F3A13.jpeg
    D8FA0B5C-30A9-4FFB-AF53-D574084F3A13.jpeg
    295.4 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: 96C
I’m interested what you may think about the Bog Serpa Carbon tripod? Weighs only 4.1lbs. Here’s my build. Looking like 10.5 lbs, but .60 will be added when the Arca rail is added.

If you're adding an arca rail to the bottom of your chassis, I wouldn't use a grip head on the tripod. Better off to direct mount the rifle to the tripod, and do the same with your spotter / binos.

Have never used that tripod but looking at the photos, I would try to avoid using the centre column post for elevation adjustment, the centre post induces a lot more movement by raising the centre of gravity up above the leg junction. Keep the rotating collar done up tight and use the 3 legs to adjust height of the tripod. I think a GOOD ball head on an OK tripod is better than a nasty ball head on a great tripod. (y)

My nighttime coyote rig.11lbs loaded. ARC Nucleus in a XLR Element 4.0 Magnesium chassis w/ proof research carbon fiber barrel in 223. I could probably save a couple lbs without this heavy suppressor and thermal optic.
IMG_4532.jpeg

Reactions: 96C and tex68w

I hunt in the Utah part of the Rocky Mountains called the Wasatch. I run a .300 WSM Savage 1600. I just ditched the factory stock, played with a MP Hunter for the 110 and got a MDT AICS SA steal box mag to feed into it without flaw. But then I watched Eric Cortina take an MDT Oryx and go from 3.5 MOA to .67 MOA. The build out is unloaded 10.6 lbs and with a 8 round mag 11.6 lbs.

Attachments

• 6BC2F322-0930-4020-8151-75292EF70780.jpeg
    6BC2F322-0930-4020-8151-75292EF70780.jpeg
    295.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
If you're adding an arca rail to the bottom of your chassis, I wouldn't use a grip head on the tripod. Better off to direct mount the rifle to the tripod, and do the same with your spotter / binos.

Have never used that tripod but looking at the photos, I would try to avoid using the centre column post for elevation adjustment, the centre post induces a lot more movement by raising the centre of gravity up above the leg junction. Keep the rotating collar done up tight and use the 3 legs to adjust height of the tripod. I think a GOOD ball head on an OK tripod is better than a nasty ball head on a great tripod. (y)
Solid advice. Thank you!!!

Since I live under a rock, mind clarifying what you mean here? Are you saying to use an RRS rail leveling head instead of, for example, a hog saddle?

Depending on the type of hunting, any of those weights. Chuck Hawks is a giant fucking fudd.

Truer words have never been spoken. I had my fill with him on another forum, an absolute know it all turd.

The ideal weight of a hunting rifle is zero pounds, coupled with zero recoil lol

Chuck Hawks is ok. I like his rifle recoil table.

I have a Weatherby Mark V Ultralight in.300 Weatherby Magnum, waiting to draw my sheep tag LOL. About 6 pounds alone, maybe 8 pounds with scope and bipod. Muzzle brake makes recoil tolerable, with muffs over ear plugs. I'm pretty much deaf anyway. It will be for sale in a few years, as the sheep hunt dream fades...I know, over-sharing.

in the 8 to 9 pound range scoped w/ mag
I`d agree with that. My Savage Model 12 LRPV is marketed towards varmint hunting even though it`s really a target/range gun . I guess if I had no more than 10 yards or so to walk with it it could be used for hunting varmints All up weight has got to be 12 lbs.