• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

what is the point of side charging ar15s

enkry

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2010
KY US
Are they made to individually load rounds like you do on a bolt gun. I really like the Mega Billet side charging upper and the young Manufacturing side charging BCG but I'm not going to get it just because it looks cool. Any information?

Re: what is the point of side charging ar15s

well by it being a side charger, you are supposed to not get as much gas in the face, which is a big problem with suppressed AR's. I never really could understand why they put the charging handle in the rear of AR's in the first place.

Makes it easier to pull the bolt back with a scope in place.

Ergonomics mostly.

You don't have to dramatically alter your shooting position/sight picture behind the rifle to charge it, clear a jam, etc. etc.

You don't have the headache (or contortionist act on some rifles) of reaching under a scope in an attempt to use the rear charging handle.

+1 ergonomics... best place for a charging handle imho is on left side of reciever just as on an FAL. if only fn would fix the antiquated "rock in" mag feed to the faster straight up feed like AR or g3. frankly for that matter scrap the ar's and improve and field fal's....yeah thats the ticket.

There are those of us that think the only improvements a FAL needs is a new influx of cheap South African surplus ammo to feed 'em with
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 ergonomics... best place for a charging handle imho is on left side of reciever just as on an FAL. if only fn would fix the antiquated "rock in" mag feed to the faster straight up feed like AR or g3. frankly for that matter scrap the ar's and improve and field fal's....yeah thats the ticket. </div></div>

the g3 rocks...... its ergo's are good they are pretty reliable.... i never liked the pistol grip on the fal it bent my wrist to much but it is a shooter none the less

One of Stoners first designs had the CH on top under the carry handle. Not parctical now as most AR's no long have a Carry handle. But the first ones were a finger loop that you pulled back. I never could under stand why that design was dropped.

A side lever lets you stay behind the sights to charge or clear the weapon so it does has a positive design benefit.

Donald

Don is right on. Armalite, a few years back, reintroduced the top/under the carry handle charging lever design on the AR-10B...see here:

http://www.proguns.com/images/armalite-ar10b.jpg

It was an interesting design and certainly eliminated some of the issues of the standard rear charging handle design. Of course, as Don said...it would have created a lot of problems now with the A3/A4 flattop upper/optics equipped AR's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the g3 rocks...... its ergo's are good they are pretty reliable.... i never liked the pistol grip on the fal it bent my wrist to much but it is a shooter none the less </div></div>

The HK/G3 has a lot more recoil and muzzle rise.. I got to see both a full auto FAL and a HK fired by the same guy from directly behind just moments between, the FAL was much more controllable for a full mag dump.

Re; The FAL pistol grip - was it an inch pattern or metric pattern? I think the inch suck, but the metric is great...

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned or not, but for ARs with gas turned off shooting sub sonic loads [.300 Whisper, .338 Specter, etc.] with a suppressor the side charger makes it much easier to cycle the action. That said, a left handed side charger with gas on is going to give you a mouthful of burning powder if it's an open slot like some designs...

I am building a 300 whisper and decided to use the side charging for the reason listed above, plus it looks sick.

The side charger is easier to manipulate, especially with a scope in place.
It's stupid simple and gives added leverage that can be a benefit with large frame AR's.

The original charging handle does do a superb job of "sealing" out foreign matter.

If the AR design were more debris friendly then it may have been designed as a side charger.

I forgot to mention, that the Mega side charging handle uppers still have the slot for a charging handle.

A side-charging handle allows for the use of risers on the stock to adjust check weld. For example, three different riser heights that clip on are available for Magpul’s CTR stock. These risers all interfere with the operation of standard rearward charging handle.

Martin

Side charging was a result of some spacegun buttstocks with adjustable cheekrests blocking the regular charging handle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Side charging was a result of some spacegun buttstocks with adjustable cheekrests blocking the regular charging handle. </div></div>
+1 It is needed when you use a stock that is elevated and therefore interferes with the standard charging handle location. Most match ARs have this problem because they use adjustable buttstocks. Standard buttstocks do not need side-charging handles.

In the UK (where we are deemed unfit to handle SLR's other than rimfires) side charging is common.

Possibly an easier/ergonomic option than cycling the rear charging handle after each shot.

Southern Gun Company in the UK make an upper that has an ambi option.

Ive been tempted to do it to my LWRC M6A2. I'm a slight mutant, im right handed but shoot rifles left handed (right handed with a handgun). so it would work out quite nicely for me. just trying to find someone that would do the best looking work.

You may be interested in a couple of things I found whilst prepping my project:

http://www.dlsports.com/ar15_side_charging_handle.html

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1657

Can't comment on the workmanship or the parts but both look like good solutions.

Other than that I guess look at a smith who can open up a slot for the handle from the existing ejection port? This is the route I'm going but if it proves a problem I'll just get the Mega Billet upper and be done with it.

I know DL does good work... Just not sure of wait times... looks great tho..

Thanks for the heads up

I can't believe no one mentioned the fact that by having a side charger, you no longer require a forward assist to ensure positive seating of a round in a dirty chamber. This helps to reduce weight (no charging handle, less material in the upper and no steel forward assist) as well as simplify the operation.

I totally agree with everyone, ergonomics, can use with cheek spacers, good for single shot no need for a forward assist. Heck I would have bought an AR instead of my SL8-6 ifI could have found one for a good price. I have a rear charger in 9mm and I hate the rear charge.

actually a buddy and I were single loading A-max rounds and were having to use the forward assist to completely close the bolt. The side charger would've helped greatly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enkry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">actually a buddy and I were single loading A-max rounds and were having to use the forward assist to completely close the bolt. The side charger would've helped greatly. </div></div>
that's kind of scary. why would you need to do that? Are you jamming the bullet into the lands or are you not sizing the case enough?

I have a AA billet upper with AA side charge BCG. I really like it when prone. In the dirt on a 6" bi-pod and rear bag it is really easy to cycle. If I turn off the gas it is a snap compared to using the 'normal' charging handle to remove a piece of tight neck Grendel brass.
It also adds a bit more mass to the BCG slowing down the initial unlocking a tad.

I like it enough to think about building a fighting carbine on one.

we had to magazine in the gun to keep the round from falling through the mag well. We could;ve let it ride but we were being very careful, we had plenty of room.