• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is this? Not a sniper rifle but it's old........

sr15match

Lost........
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2008
Wellsville, NY
What the heck is this thing? I handled it a little but have no clue.

Any takers?

2_zpsd41cd830.jpeg

1_zps359368a8.jpg

3_zpse9268115.jpeg

Looks like a Lewis without the shroud or a Degtyaryov machine gun but I could be wrong. Any markings on it?

Last edited:
The only markings I caught is what's stamped on the cover. The PRT where it's at is closing soon but I might go back there in a week or two. If I do I'll flip it over and look a bit closer.

It's not a lightweight I'll tell you that.

Not a Lewis...unless the Russian started making the drum mags! ;)

My money says it is what is left of a DP27...but maybe a replacement butt and missing the bipod and flash hider. Could do with a bloody good clean and some TLC!!

Last edited:
+1 on the above...definitely a Degtyarev DP27, but like BasraBoy said...the stock looks wrong and it is missing some hardware.

Here's a link to some better pics: DP-27

Appears to be a DT, the tank mounted version of the DP or DPM light machine guns, based on the mag, and if I'm counting the rd number markings correctly. DPs use a 49 round drum mag, while the mounted DT versions use a 60 rd drum. Can't tell which one you've got here by the pics. Tank model DTs do not have a quick change barrel, while most of the rest of the DP family does.

I believe that is a russian Lewis but the forearm is different than
Most.

Is it full auto and what caliber is it in.

Degtyaryov that some tribal smith made operational. Seen a few in the Stan. One was loaded with British 7.62mm and Russian 7.62x54R. Go figure.

I'm glad someone knows this stuff. Yes the butt-stock is a POS that's stuck on there with a screw holding it in place lol. It's a good conversation piece and just lays on the bar. We joke about it all the time, call it a "pizza" gun as it looks like it should shoot 12" pies........

It's at the PRT in Chaghcharan so hopefully I'll swing back by in a week or two.

Just an observation..."Russian Lewis guns".

As far as I know the only Lewis guns purchased by the Russians towards the end of WW1 were British (BSA) made guns delivered in mid 1917. They ordered a further batch of 10,000 US (Savage) made guns of which just over half are recorded as delivered.

But these were "proper" Lewis guns

Is the term "Russian Lewis gun" also used as a generic term for any top, drum loading LMG, like the Degtyarevs?

Not trying to start a fight....just interested.

it is a russian degtyaryov, probaby from WW2. The North Koreans and Communist Chinese had scores of them in Korea during Korean war. They also had many thompson SMG's from WW2