• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is up with Sierra bullets???

browningboy84

Minuteman
May 7, 2009
Georgia
The owner of the local reloading shop where I buy most of my reloading components told me the other day that he has not been able to buy any Sierra bullets now for 11 months. I cant find any Sierra bullets anywhere, and my gun loves them. I use SGK for my deer hunting loads, but I cant find them. Anybody know what the deal is with this?

Re: What is up with Sierra bullets???

Try some AMAX. Accurate and do well on game.

Strange, I had no problem getting a bunch of 22-77s, 30-175s and some others that I ordered. They came in last week.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cross C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I called and asked one of their bulletsmiths the other day to ask them a few questions, and man was that guy a dick! </div></div>

I'm not going to say this didn't happen to you, but I've talked to these guys many times and they've always been quite helpful and taken as much time as I needed to fully answer my questions.

The last time I talked to them they did say there were availability issues with the 220gr .308, but this is most likely caused by the .mil's choice to use it in quantity. I didn't really care because I probably won't shoot over 210's in my rifle.

John

They have always been great to deal with. I bought there Reloading manual and it was missing some pages. Sent them no charge. I have emailed and talked to them several times. Nice people. What are you looking for? If I could find them here ill get them and ship them to you. Its hit and miss here. If one place dose not have them usually the next does. Let me know what ya need I'll check around.

Some of the best people I've ever dealt with. I've talked with them on several occasions when researching loads and they have always helped me with anything I needed to know. I tell them what powders I have on hand and the bullet I'm useing and also ask for their suggestions. Been twice I've called and spent 30 or 40 minutes just shooting the bull with the guys. Haven't had any trouble getting any Sierra bullet we wanted in any caliber. Even Walmart carries some here, if they or our local shop doesn't have them Midway or Midsouth has. Got 500 175 and 190 Match Kings coming now along with 200 off the 165 GameKings with Hollow Point.

Dont know about the bullet issue, but Sierra tech's have always been very helpfull/w me e-mailing me stuff, and just being great to talk to, give you all the time you need.

I gave up on Sierras when they entered the "designer" bullet price bracket. Last batch of Lapuas I bought were significantly less expensive than Sierras.

Too bad; they turn out a great projectile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cross C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I called and asked one of their bulletsmiths the other day to ask them a few questions, and man was that guy a dick! </div></div>

I was surprised to hear this too. One time I called in with an unusual call about an odd load - using an 85 grain pistol bullet in my 30-30. Man, that guy was excited. We talked about it for about 20 minutes. About a month later he followed up with another e-mail with more ideas.

You probobly just got the unusual bad apple - or someone who was having a bad day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally Posted By: Cross C
I called and asked one of their bulletsmiths the other day to ask them a few questions, and man was that guy a dick! </div></div>

is it possible the Sierra folks detected a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">"dick"</span></span> was calling them ?

as others have already stated, <span style="font-weight: bold">"they are great folks to talk to"</span> i have also gotten some free goodies from them without asking.

may i suggest you try re-thinking your "dick" attitude ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I gave up on Sierras when they entered the "designer" bullet price bracket. Last batch of Lapuas I bought were significantly less expensive than Sierras.

Too bad; they turn out a great projectile. </div></div>

Hmmmm...Haven't noticed that from where I buy nor found any long-term shortages either. Hornady's are a bit cheaper but always have been but Sierra's not much more.

There customer service and the help line has always been fantastic to deal with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pogo57</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I gave up on Sierras when they entered the "designer" bullet price bracket. Last batch of Lapuas I bought were significantly less expensive than Sierras.

Too bad; they turn out a great projectile. </div></div>

Hmmmm...Haven't noticed that from where I buy nor found any long-term shortages either. Hornady's are a bit cheaper but always have been but Sierra's not much more.

There customer service and the help line has always been fantastic to deal with. </div></div>

Lapua 6.5 139 Scenar - 258.00 per K
Sierra 6.5 140 SMK - 257.96 per K
Sierra 6.5 142 SMK - 290.40 per K

Granted the Lapua and 140 SMK prices are pretty close, but the BC is lower than the 142, but both SMKs have lower BCs than the Lapua.

The Nosler 140 CC pretty much matches the 140SMK's BC for 207.72 per K.

I agree, their CS is top notch.

Sierra is turning out 4.52 million bullets per week (operating at 100% capacity), they estimate they are 6 months behind and have no chance of catching up until the demand slows.

Local demand is why some areas have plenty and others are out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1000 YDS. IS FUN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is one guy there that thinks everyone else is an idiot and he is always right.

That is why I always talk to Paul </div></div>

Don't know how many they got there, but I've talked to 4 I think. Paul and Rich are the two I like to talk to if possible. Rich was the creator of the 338 Lapua I think. We had a pretty long talk about it and a couple other things one day.

I like Sierra SMK's for match shooting, but I also like HDY A-Max and V-Max for match shooting, and SST for hunting; as well as Nosler Ballistic Tips for match, and them and Partitions for hunting.

Anybody can have a bad day. I have talked to them twice and they have always been very helpful. Who knows? Shit happens to all of us at one time or another. I would hate to be judged by my worst day. Jeff

Bet you just caught them on on off day. They are very nice. And helpful. I am having no problem getting bullets at all.

Have had no trouble with locating Sierra bullets with the people I deal with-at least no more trouble than any other brand since the election. And I actually get my BEST groups NOT with SMKs but 60 gr Sierra Varminters in my Colt AR.
Try Widener's, Midsouth Shooter's supply, Natchez shooter's supply, Powder Valley, etc. I can't rely on local shops because none handle reloading supplies where I live.