• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is wrong with loop for cleaning?

NavyshooterM40

CAPT USN (ret)
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2010
Texas
I see a jag recommended by most for cleaning. What is wrong with the loop? I would think you can run the patch back thru the bore(pull stoke) with a clean side exposed and it keeps the rod centered in the bore.

I see a jag recommended by most for cleaning. What is wrong with the loop? I would think you can run the patch back thru the bore(pull stoke) with a clean side exposed and it keeps the rod centered in the bore.

Some don't like a loop because you are dragging carbon and gunk back down the bore.

Buy a bore guide. Never drag a dirty patch back through a barrel. A patch on a jag hits all the lands, a patch on a loop doesn't.

don't like loops because they leave the edges of the loop exposed and can rub on the barrel.

Never seen an issue with soft plastic or brass loop touching a barrel that has copper bullets behind thousands of pounds of pressure traveling down it thousands of times. Lathed solid brass projectiles don't ruin barrels... Although I'll agree I wouldn't drag a patch back through.

don't like loops because they leave the edges of the loop exposed and can rub on the barrel.

The jag is going to rub on the barrel after the patch has exited anyway,So what's the difference.

Last edited:
A properly size patch completely surrounds the jag, and no it does not rub on the entire length of the bore like a loop can.

After the properly sized patch has fallen off the jag when exiting the barrel. The jag will rub the bore while being pulled backwards just as a loop would. Not that it matters because neither are putting anywhere near the kind of friction and force a fired round does on the barrel.

A jag is properly sized to work in a particular caliber. If you purchase a tipton, Dewey, or Parker-Hale Jag all it takes is a visit to their website and you will see what size patches they recommend to clean your respective caliber firearm. A properly sized patch in conjunction with a jag will result in a more uniform pass of the barrel grooves. Also many manufacturers do not recommend a loop as the tension will not be adequate for proper cleaning and doubling up patches will cause the cleaning rod to flex and contact the barrel grooves. This procedure is recommended for extreme accuracy. I am sure it will not matter in a battle rifle.