• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing What is your comfort zone on taking game?

Re: What is your comfort zone on taking game?

800 yards with 208 amax out of my 300 wm 5r could go farther but thats the farthest i can shoot on my deer stand

as buzz light year would say to Infinity and beyond but inside 1500 on a pig with the 300 gr 338 LM and 1000 and in.

Varmints.... I'll try 1500. Hogs...1200 Deer...1000

That's mee using a 180 hunting vld in a 7wsm, a 210 hvld in a 300wsm, or a 300 smk out of my 338lmai.

I say the same distance for all three cause I don't feel comfortable farther than 1500 trying to kill something....yet.

I'm only listing those three weapons cause they are easier than my other calibers to judge wind with. They allow for more error.

I feel 100% confident in my .308 at 300 yards and under on whitetail and hogs. If I had the right rest and no wind I would go out a bit further but I have nowhere to practice longer than 300. I use Barnes Vortex 168 gr TTSX ammo.

The fields I hunt are a Max. of 500 yards at the longest... Yet most of my hunting is in the woods, with 100yds or less being normal.

8" and less, grouping on steel at 600yrds is routine.

So I'd say 600yds confidently on actual GAME (with a clean kill) would be my comfort zone.

Last year I shot a doe just over 425 (farthest shot I have made on an animal to this point) and a good buck for Alabama at 330.

I would feel comfortable shooting a deer sized animal out to 550-600 if the wind is calm and it is broadside.