• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is your favorite brake for .308?

Guy asks for a muzzle brake and people start bashing him. Maybe he has a reason he doesn't want to disclose for wanting a muzzle brake. In my humble opinion using a muzzle brake doesn't make you any less a shooter, and no one should be heckled for it. In that kind of logic do you wear shoes? If you wear shoes you should really go barefoot because it will improve your posture (true story). But do you? Probably not because walking outside in shoes in more comfortable. Theirs no need to argue the whole muzzle brake vs no muzzle brake vs improving your form. Me, I cant shoot without a muzzle brake. I was shot in the wrist. Braking both my radius, and my ulna and 3 bones in my hand. In my left hand, my support hand. Every single time I pull the trigger that 14cm long titanium bone replacement conducts that recoil. Without a muzzle brake on a the 308, 30-06, or the 7mm Mag, even the shot gun.... I don't shoot. I think the wrong approach here is to bash, or downplay someone because of the equipment they choose to use. As for me. I run with surefire, its what we used in combat. I know it works, and it works well (hence their great reputation). If you do decide to get a can in the future your already set up for the surefire suppressors (also well known as being good). As for the bashing, shouldn't we be trying to help each other out, not bashing their choices, but trying to help them become better shooters?

Great point!!! I'm a Physical Therapist and I'm always giving advice on how to use alternative methods to keep doing the things we love. I personally have a Badger Ordnace Micro FTE on my Remington 700 SA. Thank you by the way for your service!!!!
Mike.

I haven't read this thread, but if you want to know what brake I like most, then i have to say the APA Little Bastard at this time. I like the finish and looks of this brake. Oh, and how does it work??? Fantastic! Fact is, most all of them do work very well. I know because I was in the business of installing different brakes and then test firing. I have brakes on almost all of my rifles, even the lower calibers. Why?? Well, when you shoot 150 rounds in one day from the prone position, it will wear on your shoulder. Plus I like to spot my own shots. If you can't spot your shot, you have no DOPE for the second shot. A lot of guys say they don't need a brake on a 308. Some, not all of these guys, go to the range, shoot 20 shots off the bench, and call it a day. In short, depending on what your doing with your rifle will depend on whether or not to get a brake. Another example if I may would be a hunting rifle you shoot four or five rounds out of a year. For me, I don't care if it's a super magnum, I'm not putting a brake on a hunting rifle. I can take one heavy recoil a day, no problem.

This has been an informative read not only on different brakes, but on some people's ignorance to the validity of others opinions. I am also looking to purchase my first brake and I am leaning towards either the Surefire or SAS T.O.M.B.

I was recently going threw the same thing for my AAC SD. One brake I haven't heard mentioned yet was the JEC customs that I've heard was phenomenal, something that was kinda talked about eariler 55% of all shooters in comps shoot brakes and I think around 55% of them shoot JEC, there's a article about that one here somewhere. I would have gone with this brake for my build but I hate that it couldn't be turned down to match my od of my barrel, but the 2nd best thing I could find since it is practically same exact design was Ross' brake, but he said he could turn it down to my barrel od. It should be in the mail by the end of the week or early next week. I'll try and post back with some reviews.