• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is your "Go To" factory ammo?

SquidHC

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2011
Oregon
I typically shoot FGM 168g in .308. However it is a pain to find, and in a way seems wasteful when shooting for fun with friends in the woods. I am looking for alternative ammunition that can provide fairly consistent results out to 500 meters or so, but doesn't need to provide me with 1/2" groups.

I have tried McNatts DoubleTap, and with terrible results. I have also fired some Brown Bear, which shot better then the McNatts. I currently have some NATO surplus to try out, some Lake City (which is obviously great), some FGM, and some Federal hunting rounds.

Any suggestions on other brands/rounds to try for this more relaxed purpose?

FGMM 175gr and Hornady Superformance Match 178gr BTHP has worked really well for me.

I personally stay away from Black Hills as I bought 400rds of red-box (new production NOT reloads/remanufactured) 175gr BTHP last year and eleven of the rounds split the case necks. I checked the lots on the boxes and of the 20 boxes there were probably 7-8 different lots and I have no clue if a specific lot resulted in more necks splitting. It was probably an isolated experience, but I have never had that issue with Federal or Hornady ammo.

Had good luck with:

M118LR - best, and hardest to find
Fed GMM 168 or 175
Black Hills 175
Hornady AMAX 168 - can find as TAP 168 also

Barnes Vortex - 150 TSX - pretty good out to 500, great hunting round.

Plinking, Winny White box (the 7.62 one), although I roll my own, it pops up sometimes for $9 a box. HSM rolls some similar at a similar price point. They use the 147 ball projectile.

Black Hills Match on my .223 - 75 gr
Hornady on my 6.5 Grendel - 123 gr
Corbon on my 338 - 300 gr

Starting to reload now so factory ammo is a thing of the past.

Berger 80 gr for the .223 now
Scenar 123 gr for the 6.5 Grendel now
Berger Hybrid 300 gr for the .338 now

Hornady 178 BTHP standard pressure is all the factory I shoot. I stay away from BH red box is it popped primer left and right on me 5-6 years ago

Hornady 168gr Amax. Nicely consistent MVs, feeds and shoots well whether I'm using a bolt gun or AR308.

FGMM 175gr and Hornady Superformance Match 178gr BTHP has worked really well for me.

I personally stay away from Black Hills as I bought 400rds of red-box (new production NOT reloads/remanufactured) 175gr BTHP last year and eleven of the rounds split the case necks. I checked the lots on the boxes and of the 20 boxes there were probably 7-8 different lots and I have no clue if a specific lot resulted in more necks splitting. It was probably an isolated experience, but I have never had that issue with Federal or Hornady ammo.

Just sent back some 223 for the same reason

No particular order....

Copper Creek Ammo

Dallas reloads by Chad

SW ammo

HSM @ iqmetals.com

remington core lockts

Barnes Vor-tex

My "Go To" factory round is the venerable Federal 168 gr. GMM. For a less expensive , but consistent performer,
I've had good results with HSM .308 Match 168 gr. (.308-2 ).