• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What is your most used pot meat tool/s

Is this more than one question? Mi no sabe.

1716559320874.png

I'm talking about home here. I have a gas stove and really like how the heat wraps up the sides of the AllClad saucier pans.

I've got two of the 2 quarts and use them every day.

Reactions: 308pirate
The title does not seem to give clarification.
It does based upon the section the question is ask in to those, who have ever hunted or fished for the table, vs sport.
Pot meat is any meat you have trapped, hooked or killed to eat, that is cooked in a pot over a fire in the field or taken home to feed your family.
This section (Field Craft) is unlike the rest of the Hides forums as many things here,... can not,... be googled.
When men would come back to camp, base or otherwise they would ask, whats in the pot today?

Reactions: TACC and Ronws
Thanks @Gunfighter14e2 .

Well, I still have not caught a deer but I have accepted the largess of others.

I have caught fish and brought them home for eating. I don't catch and release, like a tournament. I go out with the idea of relaxing but if I catch something, it needs to big enough to be legal and I will go home and eat it.

There were times with my wife's parents when we would fish a private lake to which they had access. You could catch a lot of perch and sometimes a mudcat. We would take that haul back to the house and set up a special draining table outside and clean everything we caught and the scraps went into the garden that was on the second of their two lots (bought the property in 1947.)

Bring that back home and bread with milk and some spices and corn meal and I have a burner stand and a propane tank and a cast iron pot. I would fry fish with fresh peanut oil. I would also dump in a bag of frozen french fries at the end and cook those up.

I hunt on public land. Very much a DIY guy. I wear a full frame backpack with a meat shelf that I normally keep folded up.

1716856823970.jpeg

I have a couple of different hunting knives but mostly what I take is the Outdoor Edge Wildpak. Very lightweight and very sharp. Three knives in the kit. One with the hook for zippering the hide. A curved one for caping. And a fillet style for everything else. Sharpener. Some field dressing gloves and a rib spread. Again, this kit has the same weight as one knife.

A camp chair for sitting. Bags for meat. A pulley system I got from Harbor Freight and a gambrel. I could hang a deer if there is a tree handy. My intention is to quarter, maybe even debone and take the harvest out of there. Especially now that property I hunt on is no longer requiring a deer check station stop on certain days. This is a non-CWD zone.

If I take the deer back to the house, I have some trees. I also have the game hoist system that fits into the hitch receiver on my truck.

When I am hunting, I have a 150 quart Coleman cooler in my back seat. Actually, it stayed there the entire regular season (northern section of Texas, First Saturday of November to the first Sunday of January,)

All I need now is a deer.

Last edited:
Great subject matter , looking forward to see what comes out of this

You could catch a lot of perch and sometimes a mudcat. We would take that haul back to the house and set up a special draining table outside and clean everything we caught and the scraps went into the garden that was on the second of their two lots (bought the property in 1947.)

View attachment 8426973
While fish scraps will fertilize a garden to a point, you would be better off grinding the scraps up then freezing them w/just a little tuna oil, mixed in. Next trip out put the frozen into a onion sack, or old nylon stocking ect, and place it in the water. Done correctly you'll be loading the boat while others are asking how you caught that many, where & what bait. Nothing goes to waste, if substance living is the order of the day.
Hunting, fishing, & trapping for the table is/was much different than, weekend play time these days. Many of the old ways & sayings have been lost or forgotten, do to so called modern living, and devices.

Reactions: Ronws