• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft What kind of GPS device do you prefer...?

EBM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2011
SoCal
I'm looking at the Garmin lineup, specifically the 62S against the Oregon and Montana touch screens.

Cheers,
Eric

Re: What kind of GPS device do you prefer...?

Nomad & 62s +1

Nomad. I have two other garmins just collecting dust. Throw FFS on there and you are good to go...

If you're going to use the GPS as your primary navigation tool, i.e. no paper maps, the Nomad's and Garmin's with large screen and mapping functions are great tools.

Personally, I just use a GPS as a navigation aid for paper maps, and prefer a simpler GPS like the Garmin Foretrex 101 or 401.

I'll have paper maps but will be using it to navigate and show public/private land ownership.

I use my Nomad. The GPS can be a bit slow at times, and it eats battery life, but having a full-power computer, FFS, and downloadable USGS topo maps at the same time makes it an all-in-one solution.

But, believe it or not, map and compass will in many cases be more accurate for land nav than a cheap GPS.

I have a Garmin Vista C and am trying to sell it because I never use a large portion of the functions it is capable of. I have no use for the altitude/time plots, jumpmaster mode, hunting/fishing calendar, games, calculator, waterway info, color screen, highway mode, etc. etc.

All I need is a UTM or MGRS grid to plot my location on a paper map, simple waypoint routing, and GPS elevation readings. I previously had a Garmin Foretrex 101 which did all these functions admirably, but am looking at the new Foretrex 301 or 401 for it's high sensitivity receiver. I really do wish the Foretrex had a simple basemap, but that's a feature I'm willing to sacrifice for ease of use and simplicity.

GARMIN-Foretrex-401-GPS-BEN-_i_VS_174433.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shark0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Smart phone... </div></div>

I did not know GPS smart phones received sat signals? My iPad "GPS" app is worthless without a cell signal. And most places I go to where I use GPS has no cell service.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shark0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Smart phone... </div></div>

I did not know GPS smart phones received sat signals? My iPad "GPS" app is worthless without a cell signal. And most places I go to where I use GPS has no cell service. </div></div>

They do. Some are better than others about acquiring a signal without assisted GPS (aGPS).

If you are going to be off network the best thing to do is put the phone into airplane mode and turn the gps on. They can also be used with satellite communicators (SPOT Communicator, Delorme inReach) and 3rd party bluetooth gps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shark0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Smart phone... </div></div>

I did not know GPS smart phones received sat signals? My iPad "GPS" app is worthless without a cell signal. And most places I go to where I use GPS has no cell service. </div></div>

It should receive the GPS signal fine. It's just not downloading the map on the fly because you don't have a cell signal. Find an app that will let you pre-download the maps where you will need them. I use Back Country Navigator for my Android. Not sure what's available for the Iphone.

Dave

Use Terraserver in conjunction with your GPS AND a topo map.

I canoe a great deal, and seeing how oxbows are created in rivers from year to year I can describe them on my maps and put in extrapolated grid coords in my GPS.

Just remembered an app I used to have. Just gave you your Lat/Long. Simple no map no fuss. Simple GPS on Android. Again no idea for Iphones but they have to be out there.

What makes Nomad better than Garmin?

Love my garmin foretrex 301. Can strap it to your rifle or wrist or gear instead of constantly getting something out of a pouch or pocket.

Fortrex 401. Its been said a lot, but its a simple system that uses AAAs and can strap to an arm or rifle. Very tough, compact and reliable. I've seen it around several units and use one. There's even a carbine stock (Troy I think) that has a slot for one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EBM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What makes Nomad better than Garmin? </div></div> Everything. and yes when I was told that I said come on... but its true ... from turning on the unit I get a full GPS position in less then 60 seconds. I also get signals in box canyons where my Garmin just looks at me and says ..." what ... what the hell do you want me to do?" I even get over 12 SATs in my office downstairs. It is a awesome unit not to mention that it is a full PC with downloadable maps and if you get Field firing solutions it integrates the solution directly. Also if you have a Kestrel with Bluetooth it also integrates seamlessly into your firing solution.

all I can tell you is that it just works ... I would never be with your it....

-K

If my live was at stake, It would be a map and compass.

However, for something really fun to play with I like my Garmin etrex.

Soft wear is important. I have the card that shows public and private land. Even has the name of the owner of the land.

With the trespass laws in Wyoming what they are, that's important.

I use a Garmin Colorado in the states and it works amazing for me. Here in afghanistan I use a Garmin Etrex - since its easy to use fast and supports MGRS that works with Military Mapping. You cant go wrong with Garmin or Magellan, two great companies. You go cheap and get a two tone display and what you need or go expensive and get all the shit that in all actuallity you dont need. My $0.02

I like the Garmin 60CSx very easy to carry and lasts about 18 hours,also spare batteries don't take up much room.

does trimble make an 'entry' level PDA for those who have reservations about spending 1500-2000$ for a hand held? just curious, i just cant justify spending that much for the nomad at present.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brutus1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">does trimble make an 'entry' level PDA for those who have reservations about spending 1500-2000$ for a hand held? just curious, i just cant justify spending that much for the nomad at present. </div></div>

A smartphone will outperform it.

I bought a Garmin eTrex a while back, basic model, but use a Cammenga + maps as it's what I'm used to.

Garmin seems to be compatible with more programs than others! For ownership use and to find walk-in, BLM, Corp, Park, lands there are alot of different overlay's that are great for hunting! Just make sure you get one with a SD card slot, and one that takes AA battery's that you can change out in the field! The Trimble is the best for professional use or if you are shooting long distances. My $.02!

Garmin E trex. Easy to use, beat the hell out of it...still going strong, simple to upload/download maps, good color and amazing detail.

Two questions, one related and one not...

1. Are there different versions of the Garmin E-trex, or am I confusing it with another Garmin "starter" level GPS. I remember the E-trex being the small handheld w/ tiny screen and am sad to say that I must have bought into the "cheap so it must be poor quality." Which Etrex (if they vary) are people liking?

2. A long time ago on this site, there was a discussion on compasses and what everyone had/liked/would like to have. Someone mentioned an old (infantry?) compass, British I think, that was WWI-WWII era. I think it was a kerosene filled brass deal that was supposed to be outstanding quality, and there is only one company that now makes the modern replica. It goes for around $400-500 I think, and I can't for the life of me remember the name or the look of it, but only that it caught my eye at some point as a "would make a really nice gift for my brother."

I don't want to derail this thread, so for #2, maybe if you could PM me if you think you know what I don't?

Thanks in advance on both counts. Personally I'd like a GPS and compass and grids to go learn an uncommon skill in my whereabouts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TNT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Two questions, one related and one not...

1. Are there different versions of the Garmin E-trex, or am I confusing it with another Garmin "starter" level GPS. I remember the E-trex being the small handheld w/ tiny screen and am sad to say that I must have bought into the "cheap so it must be poor quality." Which Etrex (if they vary) are people liking?

2. A long time ago on this site, there was a discussion on compasses and what everyone had/liked/would like to have. Someone mentioned an old (infantry?) compass, British I think, that was WWI-WWII era. I think it was a kerosene filled brass deal that was supposed to be outstanding quality, and there is only one company that now makes the modern replica. It goes for around $400-500 I think, and I can't for the life of me remember the name or the look of it, but only that it caught my eye at some point as a "would make a really nice gift for my brother."

I don't want to derail this thread, so for #2, maybe if you could PM me if you think you know what I don't?

Thanks in advance on both counts. Personally I'd like a GPS and compass and grids to go learn an uncommon skill in my whereabouts.

</div></div>

Orienteering is the term you should look for to learn land navigation in the civilian environment.

I believe that this is the compass you are looking for M-73 Prismatic Compass

Fox news is reporting a story about how easy it is to jam GPS's with a little $50 device, causing false readings and all sorts of problems.

Like I said, they are fun to play with, but if my life is on the line, I'd go to the old fashion map and compass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd go to the old fashion map and compass.</div></div>
Yep, engage brain "Batterys not required", as long as magnetic north is still in Canuck land. I hope to be around for the pole shift, myself.

With just a few key strokes, GPS can be turned off, or set to error by 0-5 miles or more for civilians or anyone w/o the need, per Uncle. That said, there are mapping programs that can be loaded onto a lap top that will still work even if GPS goes to shit.
3D topo, roads, Landmarks ect are all still useable w/o the GPS function up but, you still have to use your brain, unlike most use GPS users now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
With just a few key strokes, GPS can be turned off, or set to error by 0-5 miles or more for civilians or anyone w/o the need, per Uncle. </div></div>

I would hate for bad information to get out as people have enough trouble sorting through the vast multitudes of accurate information.

Since major industry relies heavily on GPS the P(y) code is not going to be shut down, probably ever.

That being said using a GPS in the field actually helps develop orienteering skills as people are more likely to venture forth and take the time to learn how to use it.

Learning to shoot a resection, develop a pace count for varying terrain and dead reckoning are great skills but I place more value on proper map study. Modern GPS provides this in spades with satellite imagery and course plotting functionality you have better tools to study your environment and learn how to move through it.

I believe firmly in becoming brilliant in the basics but technology can help with that too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shark0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I would hate for bad information to get out as people have enough trouble sorting through the vast multitudes of accurate information.

Since major industry relies heavily on GPS the P(y) code is not going to be shut down, probably ever.</div></div>
When the first missile flys see what happens. Anyone/industry that relies on GPS 100%, best have high quality backup. Nothing man made or used, is 100%, 100% of the time. When someone finely woke up in the wireless industry, they had to spend large, to over come stupid, from the drawing board.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shark0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Since major industry relies heavily on GPS the P(y) code is not going to be shut down, probably ever.</div></div>
When the first missile flys see what happens. Anyone/industry that relies on GPS 100%, best have high quality backup. Nothing man made or used, is 100%, 100% of the time. When someone finely woke up in the wireless industry, they had to spend large, to over come stupid, from the drawing board. </div></div>

If the military ever again develops a GPS system that can accept encryption I would begin to be slightly concerned. In the absence of such a system I would not worry.

Might be true, but I watched the Challenger explode, an seen the tapes of the Columbia, an those were actual Rocket Scientists who miscalculated the final outcome. No one is 100%, 100% of the time. Placing all your eggs into any electronic basket, is a disaster in the making, by short sighted, folks.
I've seen the effects of folks who thru out the basics an went all high tech.
When we up the stakes an take on a first rate opponent, who has the ability to go toe to toe, state run propaganda will mean nothing.
As I recall we over came a Germany that was far more advanced than us back then, only by out producing them with KISS items. That lesson was not lost on Russia nor China during the cold war, nor has it been forgotten by others who would like to rule us and our land, even to-date.

The OP mentioned navigating public/private boundaries, not going to war or anything.

1) Trimble has a handy little app for Iphones that with a touch of a button can switch from an arial photo to a quadrangle map. I haven't researched to see if it's available for other smartphones.

2) A compass is good for orientation on cloudy days. I prefer the Suunto KB with Quadrants and Declination adjustment. If your "maps" are surveys, the directions will most likely be in bearings and not azimuths.

3) For the most part, unless you get a $60K GPS RTK GNSS system, accuracy will be about the same on the handhelds. As constellations change so will your positioning by a few feet. Some of the Trimble GIS grade recievers are OK for things like wetland delineation ($3K unit). As with most GPS, people will sell you on what they have, look at the features YOU deem necessary.

4) 95% of my boundary locations initially involve a printed arial map, quadrangle map, and the occasional survey plat. Get really good at pacing, looking for signs of possesion (fence, paint, etc.). I even use the trip meter on the Rhino on occasion. Then out comes the magnetic locator and survey grade measuring devices.

5) On a side note, be careful about defining legal property boundaries with a handheld and without a license. You might find yourself in a courtroom getting the dogshit hammered out of you by a pitbull attorney. Cheers!

I've been using a garmin 60csx for years. With good map software, it's a great unit. I don't have experience with the newer models, I'm curious how their battery life is.

I plan on picking up a newer Rhino so I can have a good GPS and good radio to communicate with my <span style="text-decoration: line-through">zombie</span> elk hunting group

I've been pleased with my Delorme PN-40 for the last 4 years. I've also always been a fan of their map software that easily syncs to the unit. Also, Delorme's PN-60 and In-reach system is pretty neat. Especially if you want help to haul out a big elk in the high country! Problem with cell phone is what happens when the battery runs out? I haven't tested any of the solar chargers....but what if the sun isn't shining. I'd rather be carrying back up lithiums, and as always compass and a map.

Cammenga, no joke!

GPS is a nice addition, but nothing bests good land nav skills. Those army pluggers always took a dump on me when I needed 'em to work.

Like I said, GPS's are fun to play with. I have a Etrex and got one of those chips or cards (what ever they are called) that tells you what's private, what's public land. Even gives you the Landowner's name.

I ploted on the map the GPS's boundries in the area where I hunt antelope. Then went to the court house and looked up the boundries in the County Plat map.

It's pretty dern accrate............for this location anyway.

For maps, careful using magnetic north listed on the map, many are old and the magnetic north changes. The North star hasn't moved lately. Use it to chech your magnetic declination. Also when orenating a map, be sure to get your magnetic and grid declinations from the center of the map sheet.

As to GPS's, I've had three in my life, two cratered...........I wasn't at the house when they cratered.

I perfer the analog version better, my gps is great for telling were I have been but if you need it to tell you were you are what will you do when it fails for what ever reason. There is no replacement for compass, map, orienteering, etc. skills.

Only one mention of the Rino?
I have used these (a friends pair) in the field, in Oregon, up and down mountains, and over 5 miles apart. They work well, especially when tracking a shot elk. Paired with a map, we can coordinate movement and the wife back at the trailer knows where to put the truck so she is closest to the easiest route out. Also a single click of the mic key notes one's position on the other person's screen. That is great when I move from stand to stand, so my partner knows where I am. We had four total in the field last year, and all were linked. Pretty cool system.
I carry my maps too, printed on card stock, and laminated with clear shelf paper.