• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what kind of phone ipod or what do i nee for....

keith jones

Minuteman
Sep 14, 2010
Bulls Gap,TN
I wont to download a ballistics calculator. I just dont know what i need will a blackberry work, ipod. will it have to have internet service. I am not real good at the whole iphone,ipod, black berry thing. I just thought it would be handy. Could someone help me out with this?

Re: what kind of phone ipod or what do i nee for....

An iPod won't work and I don't believe a blackberry will either. You need an Android smartphone or an iPhone to download and use a ballistic calculator.

Iphone or Crackberry will work. You download the App and then it is always on you phone.

An iPod touch or iPhone will run the JBM Ballistic and Shooter programs.

I stand corrected. I didn't think a ballistic program would run on an iPod.

The iPod touch, iPad or iPhone can run the ballistics applications. You would need to download the ballistics application via the internet to an iTunes account (either via WiFi to the iPod, iPad or your regular internet connection to your computer). After that, an internet connection isn't needed. I downloaded both of the popular applications (KAC BulletFlight L2 and Ballistics FTE) that you have to pay for, then one of the members here brought up a free application called iStrelok.

Ipods will work just fine. Shooter is the app you want. You will also need a Kestrel to get your atmospheric conditions and imput them into your shooter app on your ipod.

Are you basing your purchase of a smart phone, on the ballistics app? If not, and you have an Ipod touch/Iphone 3GS or above, Ballistics FTE is a good one. So is shooter or a number of others, just do a search for "ballistics" in the app store from your phone (app store APP). Some a free, but limited on function, so ponying up for $20 is nominal in what you get. Ballistics FTE will suck in all your atmospheric conditions from NOAA or GEONAMES, works pretty well too.

There are several apps available for the Blackberry as well. Just go and search for Ballistic program.

I prefer iStrelok because it's free and has all the variables needed. I'll post some images of the interface when I get home this evening.

Here's the interface for iStrelok.

Pau5C5.jpg

EZz6Bs.jpg

nugKB6.jpg

JtNeGS.jpg

fd9bxH.jpg

I'm going to have to try iStrelok too. I just talked about this with my friend who is trying this too. He's a sniper for the MPD swat. He seems to like the interface and controls so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShooterDev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Beware: Ballistic FTE with iOS-5 update. worked flawless prior to iOS-5, now crashes if I use "output in mils". just FYI- </div></div>

Mine works fine.

Also, FYI, if you want to run Shooter you'll need a Gen3 or newer iPod Touch.

Instead of starting a new thread, does anyone know if a Kestrel can be linked to Shooter or FTE in a jail broken iPod or iPad?

gen 3 or 4 to run shooter, gen 1,2,3,4 to run FTE... dont pay for KAC.. not worth the $$$ in the slightest....

i have used several programs including shooter, KAC, and ballistics fte. i have compared the results against the various programs online and on the ipod and for the most part I would say the program choice is up to the users choice of GUI. I personally chose ballistics FTE for its clear and easy to use interface with very accurate outputs. I also put an otterbox on my ipod just to help to absorb some of the shocks and scratches it sees with excellent results.

What is the cheapest stand alone PDA that can run these apps? I have a company phone and as hoplophobic as they are they would shit if they found out I had a shooter app on their phone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Training Wheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the cheapest stand alone PDA that can run these apps? I have a company phone and as hoplophobic as they are they would shit if they found out I had a shooter app on their phone.</div></div>
If you're looking at Shooter or FTE you're going to need Android or iOS operating system, but I'm sure you already knew that.

I'm partial to iOS (although I have an Android phone). That said, frequently you can find a used 3rd gen iPod Touch on eBay for under $200. If you look for higher storage capacity (64gb), you can sometimes find them cheaper than the 8gb and 16gb - people think they're more expensive so they don't bid on them.

Otherwise, you can get a cheap Android tablet for under $100 but it won't take long before you realize why it was under $100.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> gen 3 or 4 to run shooter, gen 1,2,3,4 to run FTE... dont pay for KAC.. not worth the $$$ in the slightest.... </div></div>

Totally agree. Shooter and FTE are tough to beat and have functionality beyond what KAC offers for less $$$.

Good info. Wish iStrelok included the Klien reticle. I ended up paying for Shooter. Is anyone using iDataBook? Looks useful.

Might want to look at a LifeProof or other durable case once you get a device.