• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What kind of problems can I have with an HS Precision stock?

MG-70

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
Germantown, MD
I'm trying to avoid a which stock is better thread, but rather want to know what kind of problems are common with the HS Precision stocks. I realize that McMillan and Manners stocks are better, and that aluminum chassis are altogether more stable, but I already have the HS precision stocks (two from Police rifles and one from an LTR).

I know some can benefit from skim bedding, in addition to bedding the recoil lug recess, but other than the occasional compression of material around the front swivels when a bipod is pushed hard, what other problems can occur? I either read in a post here on the site or saw on an online review about problems being common to the point that army armorers were taught ways to fix them. I recently bought a used HS stock (from a Police rifle and with a Remington buttpad), with the full-length aluminum chassis, from a seller (elsewhere) who failed to tell me the front swivel was bent and material around it compressed (I'm planning on fixing that with two-part epoxy and a new ring/washer around the stud base).

Please tell me what other problems I might encounter with the HS precision stocks and ways in how I might address them, if they do occur.

Cheers

In my experience the bipod studs get loose and eventually strip out. Fill them full of loctite and it helps. Other than that they are fine stocks. I think the LTR is a great design.

They are a great value for the price. I have been running several for years with no issues to date. Enjoy.

Paul

Like lonely wolf the only issues I have had is loose studs with time and use. But I have heard of heat related issues as well. I have been using one for the last 15 or so years and other than watching the studs it has been a good stock.

Um yeah, dont leave your rifle in the car when it can get over 140F, even H-S guys will tell you that.
tl95qaT.jpg

Thanks guys! I'll keep an eye out for the heat. It never gets that hot here, but sometimes it reaches 100F-110+F and I have no idea how much more the "greenhouse affect" of being in the car adds to those numbers. I should shoot an email to Al Gore.

I wouldn't mind seeing one of those heat-split stocks, but won't be doing any experimenting with mine.

Cheers

ETA. JGorski, I like the rest!

Last edited:
I have one on an F-class with zero problems.It shoots under 1/2 MOA with that stock.

I am about to buy one for my sporter weight Rem 700 in 222 REm, and I was wondering the same thing. So loose studs and baking above 140* is it? I can live with that!

That's my Bald Eagle "Slingshot" rest, all the rage before the Coaxial rests came out, it work just as good and much cheaper. A monkey can shoot a rifle set in one of those coaxials, haha
r5lHOrD.jpg

I haven't had any accuracy issues or stock cracks. The reason I dont own them or use them is I find them terribly uncomfortable. Especially in prone shooting. It never bothered me till I owned stocks with vertical style grips and high cheek welds. Now I cant go back. They definitely work and will definitely be a huge improvement on a factory Remington

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

They are great stocks. I have 4 or 5 of em. Never a problem with mine. The 5R stocks don't really fit me well but I still shoot em alright. Theyre sturdy and light enough for most needs.

I have had good luck with them. Never any problems from the four I have had. Not bad at all for the price.

I had to return mine to HS because the bedding block was installed crooked causing my barrel to contact one side of the barrel channel and leaving an ugly gap on the other. The ejection port cutout also looked like a 3rd grader did the finish work and sanding on it. Took almost 2 months to send back, and have a replacement made. Since it was for a model 7 and not a 700 they had none in stock. It's nice but replaced it with a Manners T2 for the vertical grip. Much better! =)

I had to return mine to HS because the bedding block was installed crooked causing my barrel to contact one side of the barrel channel and leaving an ugly gap on the other. The ejection port cutout also looked like a 3rd grader did the finish work and sanding on it. Took almost 2 months to send back, and have a replacement made. Since it was for a model 7 and not a 700 they had none in stock. It's nice but replaced it with a Manners T2 for the vertical grip. Much better! =)

I thought the stock on my 700VS 223 was messed up, then I put a different H-S stock on from my 6mmREM and the barrel channel was still off, closer on left side than on right, tried yet another H-S stock, and it was still off to the left, put the original VS stock and put it on my 6mmREM, it was perfect, of course it wasn't the stock, Remington screwed the barrel in crooked, had Chris Mathews bed it for me, that straightened it out pretty good.

Thanks again guys!

Both my rifles seem to sit square on all three stocks, so I guess I lucked out. I still plan on skim bedding them, though, after I figure out if there are any action to stock preferences.

One more thing to research when the time comes; shooting rests. I may need one of them so-easy-a-monkey-could-do-it model.

Cheers

I thought the stock on my 700VS 223 was messed up, then I put a different H-S stock on from my 6mmREM and the barrel channel was still off, closer on left side than on right, tried yet another H-S stock, and it was still off to the left, put the original VS stock and put it on my 6mmREM, it was perfect, of course it wasn't the stock, Remington screwed the barrel in crooked, had Chris Mathews bed it for me, that straightened it out pretty good.

My Model 7 is a total custom, Shilen barrel in a trued action. I returned it to HS and they admitted after inspection that the "mandrel" that sets the bedding blocks into the stock had indeed messed up. My barrel is varmint contour so sanding for clearance would have taken me completely through the stock. HS remade the stock and shipped it back. It is all good now but my Manners is where the action resides now.

I bought the PST006 due to enjoying the M24 a few years back in the army. The aluminum is great as well as the adjustable LOP . My swivels are not an causing any issues yet, however I do plan on replacing them with the atlas mount. I don't know what bipod you plan on using but with the HS stock on your concern for the swivels it may be worth it for you OP to use the atlas mount and bipod.