• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what kind of reach does a 300 ultra mag have

Re: what kind of reach does a 300 ultra mag have

looks to only be alittle faster then 300 mag.

A 300 RUM will push a 208 at around 3200fps and a 230 berger at around 3000fps so a mile wouldn't be to long a shot at steel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blasst</div><div class="ubbcode-body">no shit. So a bit more punch than a 300 wsm or saum.
Interesting. Thanks </div></div>

A 300RUM has a shit load more punch than a 300 winmag and is also a shit load flatter...anyone that makes a statement that it is only slightly more than a winmag hasn't shot a 300RUM or looked at the ballistics using real world data...meaning not the crap the ammo companies supply.

My 300RUM is pushing 210 Bergers at 3180fps with a 27 inch barrel and I am not in pressure yet so I could get to 3200-3220 before seeing any...put 3220 in a ballistic caculator against a 300 winmag pushing a 210 at 2900-2920 which is about where it usually starts to hit pressure in my experience with the same length barrel and tell me what the difference is. oh and that added velocitiy also carries a ton more energy.

I have owned both and shot along a few 300 winmags...not bashing the winmag it is great caliber and I like it, but it is NOT in the same category as the RUM.

I had a feeling that might be the case.....just from looking at the cartridge. Looks like it holds a lot more powder.
I was just looking at pictures on the web so wasn't sure. Thanks for the info. Looks like a kick ass round.

the RUM case actually has similar powder capacity as a lapua. So translate that to smaller bore and yes it will be harder on barrels. But it will send the big 30's with some speed. I had a 7RUM. Talk about barrel burner. But I could send the 180 berger at 3300. It was fast, flat and hit hard. Shot it out before I ever got a chance to kill anything.

Shot mine in the desert few weeks ago first time out did the load work up that week chronoed and final zeroed in the desert hit one mile three out of five shots. It is a very easy round to load for and shoot mine is a factory sps in a Bell and Carlson stock the medalist varmint put about 25 thirty rounds through it in about two hours prone and it didd'nt beat me up like I thought it would. A few guys were shooting win mags at the same target you could tell the difference in the impacts substantially. It is a great elr round.

I have witnessed a 300 win mag hitting a full size IPSC steel target at 1950 yds with a 208 Amax, repeatedly. the ultra should be able to do the same but is not needed.

Jeez, and I'm a bit nervous about trying to go out to 1,000 & 1,200 for the first time with my .300 win mag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twitch2120</div><div class="ubbcode-body">300 rum necked to .338 is .338 lapua improved a little </div></div>

Nope, 338 Edge.

A 300 RUM simply necked up to 338 is a 338 EDGE not a 338 RUM which is actually shorter. I have all 3 of them

Although I do not own a rum, my .300 win mag will shoot the 208 amaxs to 1 mile. I am sure the rum will go way past that.

I also have been to 1 mile with my .300 RUM. I am trying to get out to 2100 next time to the desert. Good Luck.

I have had my 300wm out to 2000yd with the 208 a max, & the 225 hpbt several times.

The 300 RUM will reach as far as you are equipped and capable of shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Azprc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twitch2120</div><div class="ubbcode-body">300 rum necked to .338 is .338 lapua improved a little </div></div>

Nope, 338 Edge. </div></div>

it Edges the 338 lapua by a little. i stand by what i said. :p

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 25MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blasst</div><div class="ubbcode-body">no shit. So a bit more punch than a 300 wsm or saum.
Interesting. Thanks </div></div>

A 300RUM has a shit load more punch than a 300 winmag and is also a shit load flatter...anyone that makes a statement that it is only slightly more than a winmag hasn't shot a 300RUM or looked at the ballistics using real world data...meaning not the crap the ammo companies supply.

My 300RUM is pushing 210 Bergers at 3180fps with a 27 inch barrel and I am not in pressure yet so I could get to 3200-3220 before seeing any...put 3220 in a ballistic caculator against a 300 winmag pushing a 210 at 2900-2920 which is about where it usually starts to hit pressure in my experience with the same length barrel and tell me what the difference is. oh and that added velocitiy also carries a ton more energy.

I have owned both and shot along a few 300 winmags...not bashing the winmag it is great caliber and I like it, but it is NOT in the same category as the RUM.

</div></div>

Second that info. The 300 RUM is a beast.

I think the key will be getting the right twist for the very heavy 30 cal bullets. It stands to reason that the 300 RUM will have considerably more range than the 300 Win mag as it is able to generate more velocity for the same bullet weight.

However, as most folks know, just having a given chambering doesn't guarantee good performance at long range if the bullet destabilizes. So, you might have to go with a 1-10 twist, or even a 1-9 twist to keep the really heavy 30 cal bullets stable over that ultra long distance.

Isn't the 300 RUM performance quite similar to the 30-378 Weatherby? If so, that is a cartridge that many long range shooters used to play witt? I think that was before many of the new offerings of heavy for diameter bullets for the 30 cal came out.

Peters you are right. With thr right scope and rings it will do over 3000 yards.

For the heavy recoil you get from a 300 RUM you might as well go with a .338 Lapua Magnum and get more range.

However the .300 Norma Magnum is, to me, a great alternative to a 300 RUM and just as flat shooting with a BIT less recoil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy M40a2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Peters you are right. With thr right scope and rings it will do over 3000 yards.</div></div>

Interesting! Have you ever shot the 300 RUM at these distances? Thinking about getting one for ELR myself.

With a decent muzzle brake, the 300 RUM isn't at all unpleasant to shoot. Even in a mountain hunting weight rifle (7-8 lbs), launching 230 Berger Hybrids.

All of that 90+ grains of burnt powder venting out the brake has a great deal of "whoah" on the recoil, apparently.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Malium</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With a decent muzzle brake, the 300 RUM isn't at all unpleasant to shoot. Even in a mountain hunting weight rifle (7-8 lbs), launching 230 Berger Hybrids.

All of that 90+ grains of burnt powder venting out the brake has a great deal of "whoah" on the recoil, apparently. </div></div>

Exactly...with the break technology out there today recoil should NO LONGER be an issue. The recoil argument is one I just simply don't understand anymore unless you are dead set on not using a break,and for hunting the amount you actually will shoot it, thats fine too but for target shooting just throw a break on it... 338s, 375 cheytacs, 416 Barret, 475 cheytac 50 cals...etc have all been tamed becuase of the technology with muzzlebreaks..I have a break on my RUM makes it a pleasure to shoot.

I have sat out and shot my RUM for 50 rounds one afternoon shooting steel with no issue what so ever except listening to my barrel throat yell "stop this it hurts!!" LOL.

Just but a good break on it and recoil problem will be solved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigwheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had my 300wm out to 2000yd with the 208 a max, & the 225 hpbt several times. </div></div>

What COAL are you running with the heavier pills. Trying to figure out what dbm to go with for my build. Plan to shoot the 230g bergers as a repeater.

I have a short, & tight chamber so my loads are 2.772" to the ogive with coal of 3.460". This is .005" off the lands in my rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 25MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Malium</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With a decent muzzle brake, the 300 RUM isn't at all unpleasant to shoot. Even in a mountain hunting weight rifle (7-8 lbs), launching 230 Berger Hybrids.

All of that 90+ grains of burnt powder venting out the brake has a great deal of "whoah" on the recoil, apparently. </div></div>

Exactly...with the break technology out there today recoil should NO LONGER be an issue. The recoil argument is one I just simply don't understand anymore unless you are dead set on not using a break,and for hunting the amount you actually will shoot it, thats fine too but for target shooting just throw a break on it... 338s, 375 cheytacs, 416 Barret, 475 cheytac 50 cals...etc have all been tamed becuase of the technology with muzzlebreaks..I have a break on my RUM makes it a pleasure to shoot.

I have sat out and shot my RUM for 50 rounds one afternoon shooting steel with no issue what so ever except listening to my barrel throat yell "stop this it hurts!!" LOL.

Just but a good break on it and recoil problem will be solved.

</div></div>

Other than the Barret (mouse house on the end of the barrel), what are the top one or two brakes you have experience with that take a 7-8 lb 300 RUM down to a recoil level you can shoot all day at the range? Shark bite, Fat Boy, Barker?? I'm asking because I'm in the market for a new brake. I have a 460 that has a brake and is still quite stiff to shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy M40a2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Peters you are right. With thr right scope and rings it will do over 3000 yards. </div></div>

That's really getting it out there.

What bullet, muzzle velocity, and altitude?

With a holland brake my 8 lb 300 RUM is a blast to shoot! Without the brake it was miserable!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's really getting it out there.

What bullet, muzzle velocity, and altitude? </div></div>

I'd like to see hits at 3k. sounds like an airstrike! Lol!

I was going to have lloyd at rnd make me a 300 rum but we talked for awhile and he made me the first that we know of semiauto 338 edge. I love this gun 1/2 groups all day!!!! I havent had a chance yet to take it out past 450 yet but I will this month. Ill be shooting out to 2000 meters at a mil range. I have 2 other 300 rums and I love the them! Flarthest shots were out to 1550 with no problem useing 10x scopes. lol