• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors What launches a suppressor?

ForgeValley

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2018
    WNC
    Was at the range today and watched a guy launch his suppressor down range about 15 yards, twice. I don't know much about them as I've never owned one, but curious what causes this?

Buddy of mine says it was probably loose and caused a baffle strike. I know it fragmented his bullet because it hit my target 100 yards downrange and it looked like a shotgun blast.

So is the bullet impacting the suppressor or is gas pressure blowing it off?

Yes. Gas pressure can easily toss a suppressor quite a distance. I had a .338 Lapua prototype come apart at an internal thread and launch about 50 yds just from gas pressure....no baffle strike. Range seems to vary with gas volume....little rounds send them a shorter difference.
    A bullet hitting anything internal can also add a lot of energy to the can.
    Usually the reason the can launches is that it isn't locked on right. Quick attach muzzle brake types seem to be the most common types sent downrange.
    One thing to add here is the amount of recoil you get from throwing near a pound of material downrange. It can be painful.
    Frank

Ok , great, that makes sense. It was a quick detach, he put it back on after the first shot, and proceeded to launch again on the 2nd shot. I backed away for that one. :)

Reactions: Holliday
    It's easy for people who don't read their instructions to put a GemTech bi-lock suppressor onto the bi-lock muzzle mount without pushing it down and enabling the locking mechanism to simply put them on the muzzle mount and rotate them a ways without them locking. I've seen it done by people with hard crusted mounts that are not allowing the suppressor to easily slide all the way down before rotating. Then again I've seen two different direct thread suppressors made by a hack with a lathe and a manufactures license blow clean off the end of the muzzle and go 20+ yards downrange.

Can confirm, launched my SiCo on first round.

Oh nooo! Grab the Rocksett! Lol! Or just call Zak and the guys at TBAC.

Just kidding around; I'm seriously surprised that a baffle stack could be glued in place rather than welded (at least that is my assumption). Read a post, by someone else here that had a SiCo start to separate after 1 round also and SiCo said send it in or we can send you more Rocksett.

I wonder how many of those cans (and similar designs) have been launched over time?

It's either a lack of education, training, intellect or a combination thereof. When mixed with firearms it's damn dangerous!
    Launching my SF can with the collar unlocked and screwed out all the way is the operator’s manual specified instruction for removing a carbon locked can.

Mine is am omega that had a failed weld in the baffle stack. It launched on the very first round. SiCo was good about replacing the internals and it's been good since but it was a bummer. Here's my complete story from another forum. I have put 300-500 rounds through the can in the last year of so and so far everything has been great.

TLDR; Can blew apart, paid to send back, returned a few weeks later.

So after a little over a year I got my SiCo Omega out to the range. Had a catastrophic failure on the first round... Can was Direct Threaded onto HawkHill Barrel cut by Josh over at PVA. I am confident that the threads were true. I ran the can down tight by hand, checked visually (boresight) and verified with cleaning rod. I had good clearance. I wanted to see if I was going to get a POI shift and then check velocity with my Magnetospeed. Had just shot a string of 10 Factory Harnady 6.5 Creedmoors at Mv of 2740 and wanted to see if I picked up any velocity.During first shot I felt a TON of recoil and looked to see most of the can missing. The brake and baffle stack landed about 85 yards down range. It doesn't look like there was any damage to brake or baffles. No sign of baffle strike.

Here's what I could find:

I called SiCo and I explained that it looked like a weld failed and the CS guy gave me a RMA number. I asked about a label and how to ship and was simply told just write RMA on outside of box. I had to call ask about how to ship (include tax stamp etc) and ask for their address I shipped it back on my dime. After a few weeks I got my can back... no real explanation of what went wrong but it was shipped directly back to my house. Ran a few thousand rounds through it and everything seems fine.

Last edited:
    Mine is am omega that had a failed weld in the baffle stack. It launched on the very first round. SiCo was good about replacing the internals and it's been good since but it was a bummer. Here's my complete story from another forum. I have put 300-500 rounds through the can in the last year of so and so far everything has been great.

TLDR; Can blew apart, paid to send back, returned a few weeks later.

So after a little over a year I got my SiCo Omega out to the range. Had a catastrophic failure on the first round... Can was Direct Threaded onto HawkHill Barrel cut by Josh over at PVA. I am confident that the threads were true. I ran the can down tight by hand, checked visually (boresight) and verified with cleaning rod. I had good clearance. I wanted to see if I was going to get a POI shift and then check velocity with my Magnetospeed. Had just shot a string of 10 Factory Harnady 6.5 Creedmoors at Mv of 2740 and wanted to see if I picked up any velocity.During first shot I felt a TON of recoil and looked to see most of the can missing. The brake and baffle stack landed about 85 yards down range. It doesn't look like there was any damage to brake or baffles. No sign of baffle strike.

Here's what I could find:

I called SiCo and I explained that it looked like a weld failed and the CS guy gave me a RMA number. I asked about a label and how to ship and was simply told just write RMA on outside of box. I had to call back and ask about how to ship (include tax stamp etc) and ask for their address I shipped it back on my dime and so far I am not impressed with the Omega Hype or SiCo Service.

After a few weeks I got my can back... no real explanation of what went wrong but it was shipped directly back to my house. Ran a few rounds through it and everything seems fine.

I had the same weld failure at almost the exact same spot. Baffle stack launched 70 yards while the back half and sleeve of my suppressor stayed on my rifle.

I have been looking at a Harvester for my first can because of the price, but if the quality is in question I guess I will just step up to a TB.

Number one cause of launching a suppressor is it being manufactured by Silencerco.
    :ROFLMAO:
    I actually run a SiCo and have had 0 issues. Though I haven't been able to run it on my 6.5cm yet, it's handled a couple thousand .223/5.56, and 4-500 7.62 rounds just fine through my gassy rigs.

I launched my SiCO can off an ASR mount when I first got it. You've got to make sure the threads between the FH and the ASR mount fully engage. For some reason it can look & feel like it's one all the way but it's not. Didn't hurt the can and I got smart about how to make sure it's on there.

I have three asr cans and tons of hosts...what is so hard with working the asr system...put can on muzzle break twist clockwise until the can stops then turn the lock collar... done...can its secured...its quiet, its quick and it works.If you can't operate this system please do not attempt to reload and shoot your bullets on the same range as me :) now glued in baffle stack cores shooting out is another matter and that I sympathize with and is absolutely BS.

Reactions: justpassinthru