• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What length Bipod do you prefer?

sst04

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2010
Milledgeville Ga
I have a 6 to 9 I use from the bench but it seems like it might be a little low in the prone position, have not really tried it. Just wondering if a 9 to 13 would be better in the prone position as I dont have one to try.

Re: What length Bipod do you prefer?

6-9 is all I use. Gets problematic if youre in tall grass going prone, but I'm usually not, so it works for me.

Depends on angle and height of ground, thickness of shooter, and height of vegeatation in front of you.

I run 6-9's on all my rifles and carry a 9-13 in my ruck. Anything higher than 9-13 will cover and I'm shooting off my ruck (which usually happens if the 6-9 is too short anyway; 9-13 has only come out of the ruck when I changed rucks).

Height depends on you and you alone in the field. I've ran 6-9 and was short at times, then again a 9-13 was too tall at other times.

i like the 9-13 for getting high enough to clear some ground clutter, but carry a 13-27 in my pack getting above for grass for kneeling and sitting shots. only takes a few seconds to switch it out.

the 6-9 to me is just too short for using in the field - but in the end - it does depend on your terrain, how you address the rifle, your body build etc.

i guess you can always carry a couple of blocks of wood with you, if the 6-9 is too short, you can "shim it" by resting the legs on the blocks.

i do like the 6-9 from the bench. if your budget will only allow you buy one, try tying or duct taping a few sticks together at 6", 9" and 13" and go for a walk practicing your most probable scenarios, and which length is used the most. then you know which length bipod you'll need for most of your situations.

if u r a bigger framed guy, the taller bipod might be better than a 6-9. I find that a lotta times I am running a 6-9 close to max height (i am a bigger framed guy).

I got a Versa-Pod 5"-7" and it fit me perfectly. Not very practical for shooting uphill I can tell you that. So it depends on what and where you gonna use your gun most.

Thanks for all of the input. I guess I will get out and try what I have,, should have been shooting prone all along. Going to take a precision rifle class, I assume we will be shooting on a somewhat flat area so grass and uphill should not be a problem.

is the 12-25 in long enough if you are sitting on the ground?

I can sit with the 12-25 fully extended. I'm 6'3" so the longer 13-27" would have been a better choice for me, but the 25" works sitting without too much contortions.

This is the 12-25 fully extended. A deeper stock forend, and higher base/rings, will buy another inch or so.

Picture006.jpg

6-9" for my bolt guns, and 9-13" for my gas gun. It's hard to get clearance of the mag with the shorter bipods.

All my shooting is done on a range at the moment.

As well as my AI PH bipod, I used to have the Harris 9-12 as I found the smaller ones too low.

Since I dumped the Harris I have the standard Atlas on most of my rifles (all except the AW - but that is about to change as I've ordered a V8 with new spigot for the AW).

As others say - if it was in the field, I would probably have at least the Atlas leg extenders in my kit somewhere - and possibly a mid height tripod or some shooting sticks too.

I run a 6-9 for bench and short grass...but a taller 12-25 or something like that for calling 'yotes when I'm seated.

I asked this question on another forum when I was buying my first. The general consensus was 9-13 so that is what i bought. I now use the 6-9.

6-9 mounted and carry a set of adjustable 20-30" sticks for sitting in high brush.

Harris BRM-S 6-9" with Pod Locs on all my rifles

Most of my shooting is informal in field as well as hunting situations with tall grass and weeds. I'm relatively tall so I use a 13-25/27 S series bipod. Off the bench I'll use a 6-9.

6-9 with pod locs on my bolt gun with AI bipod with pod claws (my cheating bipod) in the bag.

9-13 on my AR, just easier for the mag change.

I have a 6" to 9", a 9" to 13" and a 12" to 25". Rarely use the 6 to 9, the 9 to 13 is used most and I carry the 12 to 25 in the pack just in case I need to get over grass an weeds.

Rob Opp

Think I'm going with a 6-9 and going to carry a set of sticks as a backup.

Unless both your shooting position and target are always in the same place, you will have a need for multiple bipod heights. Find the one that you would most commonly use and learn how to use it beyond its normal operating ranges by alterating your postions.

i have never used anything but 6-9

and i shoot prone the majority of the time

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob Opp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 6" to 9", a 9" to 13" and a 12" to 25". Rarely use the 6 to 9, the 9 to 13 is used most and I carry the 12 to 25 in the pack just in case I need to get over grass an weeds.

Rob Opp </div></div>

I'll trade you a 9 - 13 for that rarely used 6 - 9. Swivel w/ notches.

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Harris BRM-S 6-9" with Pod Locs on all my rifles </div></div>
+1

I find shooting sticks more practical for field shooting and the 6-9 perfect for prone competitions.

I find 6-9" useful on the concrete at the range, 9-13" for shooting in the field.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ironman675</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6-9 mounted and carry a set of adjustable 20-30" sticks for sitting in high brush. </div></div>

This

6-9 for general shooting, 9-13 for hunting. Sometimes wish I had a longer one, tough to keep a rifle above 30" of soft snow with a 13" bipod.

Harris BR on my bolt gun, 9-12 on the gas gun, shooting sticks if I have to get up off the ground, tripod with gun rest trough if standing for awhile.