• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What length to load 223 ammo for bolt gun?

tlsmith22

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2008
ALABAMA
I have a Rem 700 PSS, shooting 69 SMKs and pushing it with 25 grains of Varget. I am using all LC brass with Rem SR benchrest primers. I have loaded up a few to 2.240 and I am going to try that length. I cant seem to tell when they are touching the lands. Do 700s seem to like bullets in the lands or do they like to jump into them? Thanks for all the help

Re: What length to load 223 ammo for bolt gun?

It's not a function of the rifles, it's the bullet that dictate whether they should be in the lands or not. The 69SMK should not be seated in the lands. The reason you can't seem to find the lands with this bullte is that it is rather short and well tapered.

SO does it sound like the length I am loading them is good?

Most of us, at least those who shoot ARs in service rifle competition, load em to 2.250, max, to fit the mags. I would suspect Sierra may have designed them for about that length, which is right about where you have them.

If you want to find your lands, get a Stoney Point OAL gauge and learn to use it. Its easy. But, as posted earlier, the 69smk was never meant to be in the lands. And even with the 80smk, most are jumping them anyhow. Its the VLDs that sometimes like to be in the lands, but more folks are discovering that off the lands works well with them too.

John

For my wife's SPS tactical I'm loading 25.6gr varget with the 69smk in Win & FC brass COAL of 2.265. Very accurate and still fits in mag.Have not checked to see how far off the lands it is.

tlsmith22, I have no clue what length your chamber is but for the very best accuracy, since you are not limited by a magazine, I would seat the bullet so that the bearing surface start is just above the shoulder-neck junction. If the bullet still does not touch the lands, you will have a very accurate load because the neck tension will be more uniform.

Depending on the bullets, I load my 75 AMAX for my Tikka T3 up to 2.450".