• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What load are you running in your 5R?

arkansashntr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2012
Hot Springs, AR
I've been shooting 150 gr AMax with 42.6 gr of Varget. I want to start shooting a heavier bullet. Considering 180gr Nosler Ballastic Tips.

Any recommendations?

Re: What load are you running in your 5R?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: arkansashntr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any recommendations? </div></div>For what purpose?

175 SMK with 44-45 Varget, factory OAL, any brass/any primer.

43.5 varget with 178 AMAX. Works great on whitetail. I got a doe at 385yds this year, complete pass trough, ribs and shoulder.

I have found that 44.4 of 4046, Fed 210M, Fed Nato brass (f/l sized every time), 175smk, at 2.80.

44.1g of Varget, rest same as above.

45gg of Varget, 178 A-Max, rest as above.

I'm using 44.7g of Varget and 175g SMK's with Lapua brass and CCI BR2 primers in a 5R. Velocity is approx 2725 fps.

My load is kind of hot but it is a good for me.

47grains of Varget (Crush Fit), 168 Berger VLD and CCI BR2 primers are over 2815 FPS. That is real chrono speed in a CED Chrono.

Winchester or Lapua brass, it doesnt matter which.

My load

43g varget smk .10 off the lands CCI BR2 primer, LC LR brass

43g Varget berger .15 in lands, CCI BR2 primer, LC LR brass.

KT

For steel or paper out to 800 yards I like the newer AMP process Hornady 168g AMAX bullets over 43.1g of H4895, min. lenght case at 2.005 and a typical 2.800" COAL but this varies slightly based on ogive of the lot used. I have chrono'd this load at 2,750FPS with a Kurzzeit PVM21 ballistic chrono system. Kind of hot but works really good eve to 1,000 yards if wind is not an issue.

If wind is an issue the heavier 175g Sierra MatchKing or Amazingly efficient 178g Hornady Match bullets are a better option. The 175g SMKs need to leave the production 5R's 24" at about 2,650FPS to make it to 1,000 yards but at that velocity the 178g Hornady Match will still be supersonic at 1,200 yards! If you are only shooting out to 800 yards or less the 168g Hornady AMAX or 175SMKs are a no brainer and easy to load. But to get much past that with the 175SMK you need to work on your load to get enough velocity safely.

For 1,000+ yard shooting the Hornady Match will need more work to find a good load but it has the BC to go the distance and buck the wind much better. The 178g Hornady Match is a very long .308 bullet design much like a Palma bullet with the ogive in a different place than might work well in a production Remington 700 rifle chamber. I have not found a great load yet but I just started with it in my new 5R.

HTH!

178 AMAX
44gr Varget
Winchester Brass & Primers

Works good enough for me. I've only shot it out to ~450 yrds.
Was going to try it on deer this year... but didn't see any deer!

I want to experiment more with the 168 AMAX's though. The 178's a bit overkill considering the usual ranges I shoot at.

I use 42.5 grains of IMR4064. Bullet is a 168 Nosler Custom Completion. It is a clone for FGM 168 and comes out about 2650 fps.

I'm going to be loading several rounds using 175 SMK's and XBR 8208...excited to finally get some results from my first batch of my own reloads!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FALex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to be loading several rounds using 175 SMK's and XBR 8208...excited to finally get some results from my first batch of my own reloads! </div></div>

This works pretty well is is pretty stable. I topped out at 2,650FPS with a 175SMK siting over 42.3g of IMR 8208XBR. R&P brass trimmed to 2.005", Wolf primers and assembled with a COAL of 2.810" very good combo but going transonic just before 1,000 yards. Out to 800yards no problem and very good.

When I wanted better 800-1000 yd performance than I was getting from 168 SMKs I tried both 175s and 155 Palmas.. I settled on the 155. Better accuracy at all distances to 600 .......equal at 800-1000....and less recoil. It took me a while to find a load (44.8 varget, seated 30 off which yields an OAL of 2.790), and I have been happy with the reduced recoil.

308 cal
43.3 varget
lapua brass
cci br2 primer
178 A-Max
2.800 OAL

This is what my 5R likes , These rifles are pretty good for factory rigs. Trying to seat ANYTHING off the lans is a joke.

I bought into the hype of these rifles , but like i said there OK
I have a custom being built right now
My 5R barreled action will be set up for hunting

Every rifle shoots different you will just have to spend the time and work your load combo up and see what it likes plain and simple , no matter what WE SHOOT

GL on your journey
smile.gif

Mine must be the oddball of the bunch. It shoots 175 SMKs best at 42.5 grs of H4895 in Win brass and CCI BR primers loaded at 2.810. Any more than 42.5 and my groups open up. I loaded hunting loads, Barnes 168TSX in the same manner with excellent results.

Nobody said the 5R was a wonder gun but they are at least on the better side of the average Remington 700. My own 5R is in an AI chassis and shoots under half an inch off a bipod no bag and an IOR SH 3-18x42FFP scope (which is a great tactical scope but not so good for punching paper) with left-over hand loads from my old Remington 700 BDL VS. Working up some slightly better loads but this is about as good as it gets with a production Remington 700 chamber. But I've got a TacOps rifle in the works and expect that it will shoot at least 50% better but the 5R is a pretty good factory rig IMHO.

Winchester brass
42.7 grains IMR8208
175MK or 178 A-max
CCI primers
2.815 OAL