• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What lower parts to use in a new build

prairiefire

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2010
Nebraska
Does it make a difference what parts kit one uses when assembling a lower? I have used CMMG and Colt - no problems whatsoever. Just wondering if there is a preference amongst you more seasoned builders.

Geissele LPKs are expensive, but the quality is apparent, however, you really going to notice much of a difference, functionally, if you go with cheaper one like CMMG? Not really.

That’s being said, I personally use Geissele for the trigger guard, mag release, maritime bolt release, takedown pins and trigger. Radian or BAD for safety selectors. The small springs and detents I’ll just buy CMMG, AR-Stoner, or any other cheaper but reputable company. Same with the receiver extension nut and plate. Vltor A5 buffer system, but with either a Geissele super 42 or JP polished rifle length spring. Ergo deluxe grip, but that is a personal preference. LMT or B5 Sopmod stock, also a personal preference item.

Another vote for Forward Controls. The Badger C1 safety is nice. All my lowers are fitted with this combo. Larue and Triggertech triggers are also ones to look at.

Guess it depends on what you’re building. Personally, I wouldn’t spend very much on a lower tier AR for plinking. At minimum, CMMG is fine, especially if you like it. You can spend a ton more on brands like Geissele and you’ll certainly see a positive difference. I did. You’d need to decide if it’s worth the money you’re going to spend.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
I only use Sons of Liberty, or sionics. They are very candid respecting the parts and use quality parts. I generally get the builders kit because I use different triggers, grips and trigger guards. Forward controls design is excellent and I respect Roger. I always use his bolt catch/release on my builds. If BCM had a builders kit, I would not hesitate to use them--and I have.

Cheers, Steve

Reactions: prairiefire
Colt, DD, Aero in that order
Colt and DD should be what you use and Aero is the best (imho) of the next grouping. Everyone can have an odd part but I shy away from parts made overseas and anything psa

You can go Gucci because you want to, go dirt cheap, or somewhere in between.
I have used Aero, WMD, Strike Industries, CMMG and JP.
WMD was for coating (NiB)
I like the Strike Industries enhanced kits which include commonly upgraded parts.

If you just want a solid LPK without bells and whistles and not overpriced, I would go Aero.

I also just get builders kits since I will do something else for the grip/trigger/guard. No reason to pay extra for a MILSPEC trigger you won't use.

Last edited:
Reactions: Familydude
If you're feeling particularly Gucci, go with a Radian. They're truly a work of art. Throw a Geissele trigger in and call it good, which is what I did for my HD gun.
Gonna go eat some ramen for lunch now...

Reactions: bfoosh006
For my personal stuff, most mil-spec LPKs are fine.

I usually always put a G trigger and Badger selector in most of my guns, so finding a reputable place to find a mil-spec LPK works for most guns, since I don't buy into the fancy and often un-needed mag releases, take down pins, etc.

Does it make a difference what parts kit one uses when assembling a lower? I have used CMMG and Colt - no problems whatsoever. Just wondering if there is a preference amongst you more seasoned builders.

I use Forward Controls Design. They are quite a bit more expensive but that doesn't matter that much to me personally.

Reactions: Langford
Not to repeat myself, but FCD’s aesthetics are worth the price alone. And it’s not cheap Chinese made stuff…top quality, functionality, and an owner who’s always innovating and improving components. That Seekins safety has been replaced with a FCD safety now also.

D47175CF-557C-486E-9009-6425E0A5EB3A.jpeg

Reactions: Clayman
Just my opinion, but if you are buying “higher tier” than anderson or cmmg, and sticking to mil-spec parts, you’re paying an unnecessary brand premium.

Only a heathen would mix dimples with serrations!

Haha it's what was in stock. I bought the emr-a first for both. There was a long period of time between the ABC-R V2 and V3 where nothing was available. Bought the v3 when they dropped. EMR are serrated as well.

Reactions: Langford
Just my opinion, but if you are buying “higher tier” than anderson or cmmg, and sticking to mil-spec parts, you’re paying an unnecessary brand premium.
Anderson is actually quite decent and US made.

Anderson is actually quite decent and US made.
Part of why I put “higher tier” in quotes. Mo’ money doesn’t always equal mo’ bettah, but people like to spend more and not get more…

Right up until you get an AR-10 bolt catch in your CMMG AR-15 parts kit.

Right now the Aero (builders) kit is 10 less than the CMMG (builders) or Anderson (complete) kits at Primary Arms.

Last edited:
Right up until you get an AR-10 bolt catch in your CMMG AR-15 parts kit.

That thread is so full of fail that I would not be at all surprised if the OP bought a large frame kit and was like "same same, right?" I would not take anything from that thread to mean that any part was, in fact, out of spec.

I would put Aero in the same boat as Anderson and CMMG. Perfectly serviceable, but does not come with the cool factor that DD, BCM, KAC, or other "top tier" brands do. Nor do they come with the exorbitant up charge for branding.

Have used and sold a ton of dpms(when they were a business) and Stag lpk's. Make sure you are getting us made parts and they will be gtg. I'd put the money on a good trigger..

The parts kit is more important than the stripped lower/upper. Springs are the critical part if one runs hard and long. If you are an occasional plinker, doesn't make much difference. Geissele, LaRue, LMT, Barrett, CMMG all make great parts kits.

CMMG is still a solid choice, the Geissele with their safety selector is also nice.

...if the manufacturer of the particular lower you are using offers a LPK, you could safely assume it will be compatible with their lower. If the lower claims a particular "standard", i.e., meets or exceeds MIL-STD, then chose a corresponding LPK that meets the specified standard.

...FWIW, in my personal experience w/Aero lowers every MIL-STD LPK has functioned reliably. As for triggers, my preferred choice has been Geissele's SSA, G2G, ALG ACT & QMS and the Brownell's branded B-GRF and B-G2S-E, all of which have functioned and fit 100%. The G2G has also fit & functioned 100% in my Aero M5.