• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What lube do you use for resizing cases?

sormi

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2006
Austin Tx.
Anyway have the best lube for resizing rifle cases? Also how do you apply it?

Thanks..

Re: What lube do you use for resizing cases?

Imperial sizing wax, a little goes a long way, I use my fingers to apply and a rag with iso alcohol to remove.

Dillon spray case lube. Tumble to take it off.

Imperial wax also. takes a hair longer to apply than spray, but you'll likely never have a stuck case like spray lubes are prone to.

I've been using Hornady One-Shot and have mixed feelings about it. It's fast and does an "okay" job. By that I mean that I have had a few stuck cases. Tumble the casings after sizing to remove it. I'm gonna give Imperial wax a try once I run out of One-Shot.

Hornady Unique case lube. I use it for everything from 223 to 50 BMG

I use RCBS water soluble. I apply several drops to the fingertips of my left hand, pick up the case by the base with the right hand, and twirl the case against the left finger tips, lightly moistening the case just below the shoulder. After loading, I wipe down the cartridge with a clean cloth and rubbing alcohol as part of the final external exam; which also includes weighing each cartridge to isolate any obvious charge discrepancy defects.

Greg

Just about anything but One Shot.

1/4 tube of Lee Lube in bottle of 90% rubbing alcohol. Brass into Ziplock... SMALL amount of the mix, mix well, pour out and let dry... never a stuck case, very even distribution.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hornady Unique case lube. I use it for everything from 223 to 50 BMG </div></div>
+1

Hornaday one shot, never had a stuck case. You just have to use more than you would think. I usually load in batches of 300 to 400 depending on caliber. 400 .223 in a ss tray, spray it down from all four sides, mix them up a bit and respray. You can tell when you pick them up if there is enough on them. I don't even wipe them down after loading, just drop check and store. On new unseasoned sizing dies I'll spray some up inside the die.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sormi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyway have the best lube for resizing rifle cases? Also how do you apply it?

Thanks.. </div></div>

For 15 years I've either used the Dillon spray for bulk Zombie ammo or the RCBS Case Lube 2 with rolling pad.

I did get a can of One Shot and used that on 500 pieces of RP 223 and it worked fine, following the instructions.

I got a tin of Imperial Sizing Wax on Thursday, so I'll give that a whirl soon.

I love the RCBS CL II and while it's slow rolling 12 at a time, it's water soluable and wipes right off with a damp shop rag, so I don't have to tumble the brass and load up my media quickly. I hate that.

The only two cases I've ever stuck during a decade and a half were two .308s within ten minutes of each other using the then 12 year old Dillon spray. I sent both dies in to RCBS and Hornady and they fixed, polished and even updated them for me, for free!

Chris

Kiwi Mink Oil; never a stuck case, inexpensive and easy to find.

Hornady Unique. Never stuck a case with it. Cheap and lasts forever it seems like.

I rub a bit on my fingers and just pick up cases. Eventually it's pretty well covering your hand, and you can just sort of squeeze a case and coat it. If I'm using an expander ball, every third case or so I'll touch the neck into the tub of lube to keep a bit on the expander.

RCBS case lube or Lyman case lube. Either works good on a pad, lubing a couple of cases at a time. I wipe each case off after sizing with a paper towel.

Synthetic 5w30 little dab with my left point finger and a little wiping around the base keeping it away from the shoulder. Then down we go with the rock crusher. Once the die is nice and lubed you can go about 5 rounds between lubes. Then straight into corncob media for a tumbling for 4 hrs. Over 5,000 rounds of .223 and 1,000 rounds .308 and have no problems.

Imperial, just wipe a little on your finger then on the cases. I take it off with a microfiber towel, comes right off.

Good stuff.

for me I love mink oil shoe polish.comes in a bigger can and cost less than imperial.and I have been loading for 12 years now and haven't had a case stuck yet.

I'd used Imperial Wax, with great success, but the added steps of doing a thorough removal got old. I found the tube of Lee Case Lube that came with my original kit and started using it. Works great & wipes off easy.

Imperial Wax for small batches of brass. Lyman spray lube for the bulk stuff. Works well as long as you use enough and let it sit for 10+ minutes before loading.

Even though one shot is supposed to dry off...I still tumble after sizing

Do they still make anything but Imperial?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AKAce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1/4 tube of Lee Lube in bottle of 90% rubbing alcohol. Brass into Ziplock... SMALL amount of the mix, mix well, pour out and let dry... never a stuck case, very even distribution. </div></div>

Does this work pretty well? I may just have to try this

I can see I'm the redneck and outta place on this one but I've been reloading since the very early 80's and am still on the same tube of Texaco multipurpose grease. It's done untold 1000's of rounds and I just keep cutting the cardboard off if I can't dab my finger tips into it. Quick spin of the case in my finger tips and shove it in the shellholder. Prob cost me a couple of bucks way back when and will prob last me till they toss dirt on me.

Topstrap

Started out using RCBS lube on a pad, then went to Hornady One Shot. Now, I use Dillon spray lube for normal sizing and Imperial for necking brass down to a different caliber. They both work well, better than RCBS and Hornady IMO.

I line my brass up on the RCBS pad and shoot it once with the Dillon spray, then roll back and forth a few times and I have not had a stuck case in 4 years.

KY Intense.

Just kidding, I use the Lee resizing lube that came with my press. When it runs out I'll probably get a spray type.

For general resizing: Dillon spray lube in a 1gal ziplock bag. Put the brass in the bag, give a couple of squirts, massage, dump out on a tray and let dry.

For case forming: Imperial Sizing Die Lube.

I do the same as buffybuster...got that from LTR David's website. Except I use my own lube that I got from my friend the master tool and die maker. Mix half and half, liquid lanolin and castor oil. 2 parts of that mix to 8 parts Solox. Shake well and spray. Three sprays at the first, then the when the bag gets a little coating in it, one or two will do till the bag wears out.

I tried the Hornady One-Shot but had lots of stuck cases. Maybe it was my technique. I then tried Lee case lube and have never had another problem.

I tried Hornady OneShot for rifle cases. No go, for me. I stick with RCBS, even though messier.
Hornady OneShot works great with pistol cases, and this is the only one I use for that now.

My experience with One Shot was the same: works fine for pistol cases, but not for rifle brass. Maybe my application-fu is weak.

I use the homemade lanolin and alcohol spray. Looks a lot like the Dillon lube and cost a lot less. Great for doing large patches of 223. The Lee lube is not too bad but having to lube each case is a pain (hate the old pad applicators too). Had a bad experience with Hornday oneshot and that is when I tried the lanolin formula - I see no need to look back now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mj2evans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the homemade lanolin and alcohol spray.</div></div>
I have tried this. I've heard a number of folk say imperial sizing wax is just lanolin. Anyway, I added a 2 oz tube (nursing mother section of Wallyworld) to a quart of 91% isopropyl. I didn't have much luck with it. The lanolin kept wanting to settle out. I would gently heat it (water bath) and shake to redisolve, but it kept coming out of solution.

When I used it right after a heating session it'd spray on the cases, but they were sticky more than lubed. Perhaps too much? Room too cold? Anhydrous rather than hydrous lanolin? The wallyworld stuff was adulterated? I dunno, I just know it didn't work well for me. After I got a case irretrievably stuck in a sizing die I gave up on it. Some people seem to have good results with it, but my fu with lanolin was worse than it was for One Shot on rifle cases.

I use the Imperial and also Tru-Kote die wax. Both work equally well and seen to last for years. I still have a bottle of Dillon spray that probably isn't much good. Never was pleased with the sprays but that may be due to my being in a hurry to get things done and not taking as much time doing it "By the Book".

I just use home made lube. Its a mix of isopropyl alcohol and liquid lanolin. The mix ratio is about 5% lanolin and its quite important to use isopropyl alcohol that is about 98-99%. I made a liter of the stuff a long time ago and I have never had any problems. Just give the sprayer a quick shake, spray into a bag full of brass, roll them around for a few seconds and leave out to dry.

Anhydrous lanolin...the liquid lanolin is best about not separating. Get it at health food shops. The alcohol needs to be nearly anhydrous as well. 99 % isopropyl is good but hard to find. The paint stores or Wally World carries denatured alcohol...cheap. Use it. About 80% by volume of alcohol and 20 % of the lanolin or half and half lanolin and castor oil. The mix is more slick than lanolin alone. JMHO