• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What Magnification Do you shoot 1K?

Re: What Magnification Do you shoot 1K?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wrighty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since the answer to the OP's question seems to often be the same as "what scope do you own?" i am wondering for those that have lower mag range scopes such as 3-12, 3-15, 4-16, or whatever, how often do you actually use the lower mag end of the scope? say less than 6x?

because if the answer is not much, than wouldn't it be better to buy a scope in say, the 6-24 range and simply dial down as needed? going with the philosophy that you would want all the mag you could get at 1000.

is the lower end just for the once in a blue moon that you are shooting movers at 25 yards and cant do it with 6x? in that case i have a handgun...
smile.gif
</div></div>

I run 3.5-10s, 2.5-10s, 3.5-15s and 5.5-22s. I have used the lowest magnification on all of those scopes. I'm using them for hunting, but I would think "tactical" situations would also call for low mag.

-dan

Re: What Magnification Do you shoot 1K?

IMHO 16 - 18X is about as much as the standard human can hold still in a fairly well supported position. More than that you need to weigh the compromise between weight and size vs. application. That being said I want the bottom end as low as possible for fast movers and observation. In SE VA and such the mirage from about May to October will have you in the 12X range on most days the sun is up. 17X+ is certainly a bonus when podded and bagged on a square range when attempting wallet groups. I find 3.2 - 17X covers 98% of the bases when driving a performance cartridge (say 260, 6.5 Creed to 300WM or there abouts). For the other applications I have different tools.

Cheers,

Doc