• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors What makes a good suppressor?

SSC

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
I am looking at getting my first suppressor and would like to pick the brain of the hide members. In your mind what makes a good suppressor and what make a bad suppressor? Obviously the ability to suppress is pretty high up on the list, but what are some other ones? I mean why are some suppressor $1800-$2000 and other $650?

Thanks

Re: What makes a good suppressor?

Materials used, R&D cost, manufacturing cost, marketing ect

Less the Better:
POI shift
Weight
db Level

More the Better:
Adaptability
Customer Service
Quality Materials

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rb85cj7</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Obviously the ability to suppress is pretty high up on the list, but what are some other ones? I mean why are some suppressor $1800-$2000 and other $650?

Thanks
</div></div>

My quick answer as a student of economics is that the market is not sufficiently competitive because the law makes it difficult for most people to own a suppressor.

The only company I've heard to stay away from is JET.

materials used are probably a big cost factor. Mostly in the supressor arena you get what you pay for(but not always).

if you looking for your first can do a little research, some dealers offer demo's.

I like for my rifle cans, a sealed unit made of high grade steel (like 304 stainless), from a reputable manufacturer.They are pretty much self cleaning.

I have an awc thundertrap and and swr omega for my 308's. there some of the quietest but there are some probably a little more quiet. with both of these cans poi shift from unsuppressed to suppressed is repeatable, and on one rifle is the same. that depends on the rifle to.

I would go with what you can afford. I think you wont go wrong with awc,swr,gemtech

You Americans pay a heap for your suppressors. Here in NZ I can buy a real good light quiet one fitted for about $500NZD which is about $350usd I think

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rb85cj7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking at getting my first suppressor and would like to pick the brain of the hide members. In your mind what makes a good suppressor and what make a bad suppressor? Obviously the ability to suppress is pretty high up on the list, but what are some other ones? I mean why are some suppressor $1800-$2000 and other $650?

Thanks
</div></div>

suppressors turn noise into heat.....

everyone is making a suppressor, and its kinda like making pasta....if it sticks to the wall ,....its good to eat.

some stuff out there ....is lacking and exhibit nasty hot spots and otherwise loud sound signatures,....some pistol cans are down right near useless as they MUST be shot wet to get anywhere near some sort of sound suppression.

customer service is what REALLY matters, and some down right SUCK.

listen to what members here say works for them, as most here hunt and compete with suppressors....but like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

I started looking at Jet back in July 2006. Honestly, that's the only brand name I remember anyone even talking about back then. I sure never heard anything negative about them at that time.

I sent them a couple e-mails and they were very responsive. Especially compared to most firearms-related companies that simply don't respond to e-mail at all.

Bought one of their brake / suppressor adapters and had it installed on my rifle in late 2006 (November / December). No issues at all.

Had some more questions answered via e-mail and ordered two more of their brake / suppressor adapters in September 2007. Again, no issues at all. Very smooth transaction.

My dealer should have ordered my suppressor around September 2007. I corresponded with Jet via e-mail in May 2008 and they said it was complete and waiting for ATF transfer. It finally shipped from Jet to my dealer October 2008.

Local LEO signed-off December 2008, and ATF stamped it early March 2009.

Picked it up from Alan late March 2009.

Other options like Shark and Thunder Beast started popping up in 2008, but I was already committed to the Jet.

If I were looking for another / replacement today, I'd want it short, or at least minimal extension past the muzzle. And the lighter the better.

What makes a good suppressor?

Now that's a loaded question. . . . its all about identifying what aspects of suppressor designs are most important and the weight you place on each aspect:

1. Suppression
2. Attachment method
3. Weight
4. Construction
5. Length added to weapon
6. POI shift
7. Repeatability of POI shift

Its purpose driven. Do you need a multi platform can? Do you need a quick attach can or does thread-on work for you? Is it going to used on a MG or only on a bolt action? What distance are you shooting? What is your budget? Customer service is important.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kimber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You Americans pay a heap for your suppressors. Here in NZ I can buy a real good light quiet one fitted for about $500NZD which is about $350usd I think </div></div>

+1 and you have to have a license for supressor?! So supressor make you gun evil? Just like pistol grip?

Length added to weapon is my main problem whit supressors. I like relflex supressors (T4 and T8) for this reason.
Weight is a problem as well but i can live whit that. I prefer T4 over T8 because of the weight issue.
Some info http://guns.connect.fi/rs/Reflex.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KingKong</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> So supressor make you gun evil? </div></div>
No. I think a suppressor make you evil, not the gun.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael Aos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
My dealer should have ordered my suppressor around September 2007.
May 2008 and they said it was complete and waiting for ATF transfer.
It finally shipped from Jet to my dealer October 2008.
</div></div>

FIVE months to transfer from manufacturer to dealer? Those usually happen in weeks, not months. Something wrong there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DustyJacket</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael Aos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
My dealer should have ordered my suppressor around September 2007.
May 2008 and they said it was complete and waiting for ATF transfer.
It finally shipped from Jet to my dealer October 2008.
</div></div>

FIVE months to transfer from manufacturer to dealer? Those usually happen in weeks, not months. Something wrong there. </div></div>

Yeah, he bought from JET

Some manufacturers have been sending form 3's to dealers before the suppressor was acutally manufactured. Then the dealer has sent the form 4 to the customer without acutally having the can in hand. Then the ATF did an audit and everyone got yelled at.

I don't start the form 4 until I have the can in hand.

The simple truth that I have learned about this industry is that when a manufacturer tells me that they have a can in stock and will send the form 3 in . . . . they probably don't have the cans in stock and this happens across the board with every manufacturer.

It is so commonplace that I simply expect it.

I have been drooling over all of the newer Inconel cans. The HRG metals are pretty cool stuff. I am halfway tempted to get some Inconel from work and make my own....sure would beat the price of buying one!

I agree with the comments regarding the form 3 transfers. I waited 6 months for some YHM stuff that was apparently "On the shelf". They do not send the form 3's until the can is ready to ship. There are some reliable manuf. and dealers out there, but you should find one that will demo and give you the best options for your particular platform. NFA seems to be bogged down a little, the transfers have slowed down. A good suppressor is one that best fits your particular needs. Weight, length, DB reduction, mount, and in some cases price are all things your dealer should be able to demonstrate. Good Luck

...thanks for the reply...

...it sounds perfect for my intents...

...a good thing, too, as we are talking a pre-arranged marriage here...

...it's almost like the guys whut set up the package had some Idea what was going on...

...what would be a good price for one...???...

...there are a few dealers in my area and I would like to walk into them well informed...

Surefore 7.62 cans are reported to be quite loud compared to others. this is rank hearsay as I have not heard them next to AAC, Ops Inc,Gemtech or others.

I dont think Surefire focuses on who is the quietest they focus on repeatable POI.
But their one major weakness is the spot welded core versus fully welded core (like AAC).

Im going to try one of their cans though..... on my GAP Gladius build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont think Surefire focuses on who is the quietest they focus on repeatable POI.
But their one major weakness is the spot welded core versus fully welded core (like AAC).

Im going to try one of their cans though..... on my GAP Gladius build. </div></div>

There are reasons for spot welding the baffles in. It is not because it is cheaper by no means. It is a lot cheaper to run a machine than to have someone weld every suppressor together.

Everyone sees the fully welded core and how shiny and smooth it is but that doesn't mean it is the best out there. It just looks the cleanest and looks can be deceiving a lot of times. Now with a fully welded core if you were to have a baffle strike because the barrel got too hot in combat or a bad round that didn't stabilize before it left the barrel what do you think it would do.

Do you think it would completely destroy the suppressor? Just food for thought I am not saying anything will or will not happen I am just saying it is not cheaper to spot weld suppressors and yes our cans are designed for specific military requirements.

We don't just make a suppressor because we think it would sell. We do it because someone is specifically asking for it.

Also how many guys does anyone know that a SureFire suppressor fell apart. I have seen suppressors come back because of not being mounted correctly but not because the welds failed and they fell apart.

Chuck

what kind of material or metal are suppressors made of, i was talking to a guy that lives on south dakota last weekend and he says he use to make them out of aluminum which i know is bs.

aluminum wow i didnt think they used that, i thought they used stainless steel and titanium. ok thanks guys

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chucky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
There are reasons for spot welding the baffles in. It is not because it is cheaper by no means. It is a lot cheaper to run a machine than to have someone weld every suppressor together.</div></div>

Could you possibly go into some detail at the benefits to spot welding vs fully welding with machine?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chucky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Everyone sees the fully welded core and how shiny and smooth it is but that doesn't mean it is the best out there. It just looks the cleanest and looks can be deceiving a lot of times. Now with a fully welded core if you were to have a baffle strike because the barrel got too hot in combat or a bad round that didn't stabilize before it left the barrel what do you think it would do.

Do you think it would completely destroy the suppressor? Just food for thought I am not saying anything will or will not happen I am just saying it is not cheaper to spot weld suppressors and yes our cans are designed for specific military requirements. </div></div>

I don't think it would completely destroy the fully welded can but rather have a baffle/s strike and still function fine as has been reported in the past. This is not based on evidence from me but from several situations I have read.

We don't just make a suppressor because we think it would sell. We do it because someone is specifically asking for it.

Also how many guys does anyone know that a SureFire suppressor fell apart. I have seen suppressors come back because of not being mounted correctly but not because the welds failed and they fell apart.

Chuck
</div></div>

I have not witnessed any failing, but am curious as to why you would just spot weld rather than fully welding the baffles. Can this information be released or is this confidential? I am not arguing that the Surefire line is not quality, I am just curious as to how it got to be where it is from the technology you are using. I appreciate you commenting and would be interesting if you could talk further into the design of the Surefire cans.