• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes what moa needed for 600yds .308

keith jones

Minuteman
Sep 14, 2010
Bulls Gap,TN
I only have places to shoot 600. Will a 0 moa do alright or will I need 20 moa. I see maybe 750 is the longest I will see but rarely. .308 bartlien in 1/10 shooting 175s.

Anywhere from 13 to 17 MOA roughly. I'm gonna say about 15 for you with a regular load of 175s

20 MOA is preferred but 0 moa has gotten the job done many times. IF 600 is your limit then with some scopes it will work and some it wont. For a 308 you can never go wrong with a 20 MOA. And also remember that some scope mounts have 20 MO+/- built in.

Good luck!

I was gonna ask: Why would you NOT buy a 20 MOA base?

I assume you will be using regular rings and not a unimount with 20 MOA built in. If that is the case, then buy the 20 MOA rail. It can't hurt you, and leaves you more elevation if you do decide to take the rifle out further later.

Equally important: a 20 MOA rail will sell alot faster and retain more value if you ever decide to sell it.

To answer your direct question, most QUALITY scopes will have enough elevation travel on a 0 MOA base to reach 600 yards. Again though, why give yourself less options for the same money?

Depends on the scope, I prefer standard dual bases as it allows me to keep the scope as low as possible. With a nightforce, I can still zero at 100Y and have 14 mil of elevation(past 1000Y). When I had a Vortex, with a 100Y zero it had approx 21 moa of elevation, so around 725Y @ 4000 feet. At sea level may be closer to 650-700.

Don't over think it....go with a 20MOA base and be done. Most scopes, when zeroed are somewhere in the middle of the overall elevation travel. Adding the extra 20MOA of elevation from the base will allow you to utilize the scope more.

Then again, it also depends on your optic......if you're using something of lesser quality with only 20 to 40 MOA of total elevation travel, then you might not be able to zero it at 100yrds when using a 20MOA base.

Choose your equipment wisely....

Same here,15 1/2 to get 600...
If your going to use rotary dovetail mounts( 0 taper ),just bed it,mount it,go shoot...no need to shim for <600 yards...
If your going to use a pic rail...again,why not buy a 20 min base...it's the same price...maybe down the road you'll stretch your range and want more come ups...

You don't need the 20MOA for 600 but if your scope has less than 40MOA of "up" (figure 11mils) from your 100 yard zero then you may run out of adjustment trying to take it to 1000 yards. It's not the end of the world, we're all running tactical scopes here with many mils of reticule holdovers and windage holds but having a 20MOA base for that added adjustment range is nice all the same.

You need to figure out how many mils or moa you need for your load and environmental conditions at whatever yardage? Without that info along with how much adjustment your scope has, no way of knowing. It would be beneficial to run a 20 moa base, I think most of us use some sort of angled base. I have them both my LR rifles.