• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What MOA rail should i get?

sable

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2010
Texas
I got a new rifle and I'm planning on mounting a scope rail on it, but I don't know if I should get 0 MOA, or 20 MOA or what.

Ill be using it for multi purposes. Hunting and long range target eventually so I don't want to change rails at a later date.

Which rail make should I get too?

Its going on a remington model 700 chambered in .300 winchester mag if that matters.

Re: What MOA rail should i get?

Sorry if I'm an idiot or if its been asked a million times, I searched and couldn't find it.

The default choice unless you're an Extra-Long Range (well beyond 1000 yards) is 20 MOA.

That will give you plenty of elevation to go as far as you need to shoot with most rifles, but not so much that you can't get a 100 yard zero on some scopes.

Sorry I miss-read your post, I don't plan on shooting beyond 1200 yards so 20 MOA should work for me.

What brand rail should I get?

Depends on the load, and the scope. I have to get a bit technical to answer your question here, so bear with me.

There are two angular components to a short-range - say, 100 yard - zero.

One is compensation for the height of the scope over the bore. That angle may be computed as:

angle = arctan (height above bore / distance to target)

In the case of my AI, for example, with a height above bore of 1.75 inches, at 100 yards (3600 inches) it's:

angle = arctan(1.75 / 3600) = .03 degrees or 1.67 MOA

The other component is the drop from the muzzle to the zero range. With my load at 100 yards, that's about 2.7 inches, or, using the same formula above, about 2.58 MOA.

Add those two up, and it's about 4.25 MOA or about 1.25 mil.

Which is probably more than anyone really wanted to know. But that's the amount of elevation which is consumed by a short range zero, which the interested readers, if there are any, can compute for their own setup.

So, if I have a flat base on that rifle, I'd need at least 45 MOA of "up" elevation to get to 1000 yards, which means the total elevation in the scope at least 90 MOA.

Most scopes don't have 90 MOA.

But if I have a 20 MOA base, that takes means I start with 20 MOA of slant, so I only need 25 MOA of "up" elevation to get to 1000 yards, so I can do with a scope which has, say 60 MOA total elevation adjustment, which is the spec of all of the Leupold Extreme Range tactical line.

Though I'm new at this, I understand what your saying.

do i want the badger ordnance standard or alloy metal? ive heard nothing but good things about badger, so ill probably go with them for my rail and rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tyler Moore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do i want the badger ordnance standard or alloy metal? ive heard nothing but good things about badger, so ill probably go with them for my rail and rings. </div></div>

Tyler,

It is really up to you on what you want as far as Badger rings and mounts. The alloy just gives you that added advantage if you are looking to reduce weight. I'm biased to Badger. They have been good so far for me.

I dont really care about weight so ill probably just go with the standard steel. im guessing i wont be making a mistake by going with Badger for my base and rings? or should i look at others?

Badger is good. There are a lot of members that like Seekins. Seekins make great products also.

The steel rail from Badger is fine. I got steel myself. What scope are you looking to mount?

when its all said and done, a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15X56

You can't really go wrong with any of the above. I bought a NF 20 moa rail and I have the same caliber rife/setup you do. I also just bought the NF 3.5 15x56 and it was the best money I spent yet. Alex Roy with Euro Optics sold me the scope and his service was second to none.

I just placed my order for the Badger Ordnance max-50 high rings and 20 MOA scope rail.

Also with my package will be a new Harris bipod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tyler Moore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just placed my order for the Badger Ordnance max-50 high rings and 20 MOA scope rail.

Also with my package will be a new Harris bipod. </div></div>

You can't go wrong with that setup. Hope all works out for you.

If time is a problem, like what I ran into, I'd just order from Triad and get badger rings and bases, Seekins is cheaper and top notch just hard to get a hold of them since they are so busy=/. Really I don't think either would be a mistake just whichever you prefer.

I'm partial to Badger for some reason even though I've never owned one of their products.

I ordered from Midway, the rings are on backorder, but the base and bipod are on the way already

I don't have the scope in just yet so the wait won't hurt me.

On a completely different subject, what Badger does not make is badass AR lowers, so in the future ill own a Seekins AR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tyler Moore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm partial to Badger for some reason even though I've never owned one of their products.

I ordered from Midway, the rings are on backorder, but the base and bipod are on the way already</div></div>

You can cancel you order on the Badger rings through Midway USA and get them through Steve @ Triad Tactical. You will get them faster.
wink.gif
Just an idea.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 700P300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tyler Moore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm partial to Badger for some reason even though I've never owned one of their products.

I ordered from Midway, the rings are on backorder, but the base and bipod are on the way already</div></div>

You can cancel you order on the Badger rings through Midway USA and get them through Steve @ Triad Tactical. You will get them faster.
wink.gif
Just an idea.

</div></div>

done. didnt think to just cancel the backorder.

well i hit another snag. I need to find them in stock, and from a website that accepts Discover card.

i just went ahead and re-ordered the rings from Midway. ill just have to wait, because of my credit card limitation.

I have a Badger 20MOA Picatinny rail and am very happy with it.

FYI Nightforce makes a direct mount for Remington 700 with 20MOA taper, so you don't have to buy rails and mount/rail separately. Just another option.

Who should I send my bolt to to have a badger bolt knob installed?

Keith at AZ Precision.

I'm hoping my bolt gets here by the end of the week.

What's the turn around time like?

Should I get my bolt cerakoted while I'm at it?

I mailed mine on the 19th and he is caught up and shipped a bunch out. He's got a low price INCLUDING the bolt knob. I've seen people charge more than he does without the knob. He's also got .mil discount, which sugar coated the deal for me.

As for cerakoting, that's up to you. I'm just getting my knob in black so it matches everything else. The price of cerakoting the knob is already included in his price.

You can see his work in this thread
AZ Precision thread

I went with an EGW 0MOA, and I'll say without a doubt get the 20MOA. At 100yd zero I'm at 5+ on my Nightforce.

As for the bolt knob, I checked eBay and got it turned and threaded with a Badger included for $60.