• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ? What MOA Riser?

Tom Nixon

Close1
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2020
South Carolina
So ....I’ve got this one mile quest going on and looking for some advice on what MOA riser I need. Optic vortex viper pst gen. II 5-25 x 50 SFP, internal adjustment 70MOA, and I’ve got a 6.5 Tikka t3x Tac a1. Ammo will be off the shelf Hornady match 147. Thanks in advance for your advice !

You will need close to 26-27 mils of elevation to reach a mile with that set up. That's about 88 MOA. You have 20 MOA of hold in the reticle which leaves about 68 MOA you will need in the elevation. 30 MOA base is about the most I would put on so would give you about 65 MOA of up plus the reticle will get you close. It is a SFP so if you dial down the power from max the 20 MOA will give you more of a hold. So bottom line get a 30 MOA base and you should be able to get a 100 yard zero and get you close to a mile with holds.

Forgot to ask but you driving up to Coleman's Creek to do it?

I have the same question @Rob01 I have 20 moa rail, needed 19.5 mils at a mile but only had 15.5 available so I dialed 15 and held another 4.5 and was successful. But that was at 4,300 feet elevation.

I never thought I’d run out of dial but I did. And if I ever shoot at lower elevation I might be screwed. Thinking about switching to a 30 moa rail.....?

That elevation helped you out as down near sea level it's in the range where I posted. You would need some more so anymore you can add to the base would help.