• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes What mount for a Leupold CQBSS on an AR-15?

One-Eyed Jack

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2004
Minden, NV
I just bought a used CQBSS and need to find a mount to use on my AR-15. I don't know how much internal elevation travel the CQBSS has, so I can't estimate how much cant the mount should have.

What CQBSS mounts work well? I'm not a fan of the LaRue mounts and quick disconnect is not required. I'd go for the Leupold mount if it weren't so stupidly expensive. I like the NF Unimounts, but I don't think they make one for a 34mm tube. I like GDI products, but the 25-MOA scope mount is over $500!!!

What mount do you use with your CQBSS and AR-15?

Re: What mount for a Leupold CQBSS on an AR-15?

No more than 20 if I recall, you want to keep the 1-8's in the sweet spot of their glass. They might have the travel for 40moa, but you won't need that much travel and it has you doing 90+ % of your shooting with the elevation cranked all the way to one end of the spectrum.

I tried a Badger mount first for mine, but found it to not have enough forward cantilever to it. I would absolutely NOT recommend running a canted mount at all for it or any 1x scope as it throws off the image and causes excessive distortion and will dual plane your view. I think it was David S from Optronica that had the detailed explanation of why that happens and the advice of running flat mounts only. I'll see if I can find that post somewhere.

You have over 10 mil in a single turn with it so reaching out there should be little problem at all, and you can disable the top hard stop of the elevation to dial past, just keep in mind that also disables your bottom zero stop too.

I ended up going with the factory Leupold Mark 8 mount, and it runs quite well for it. Drops the end of the ocular just forward the end of the charging handle, and for my rifle with a PRS stock it puts the eye relief right where it needs to be at. I'll see if I can post a pic later to give you an idea of how it mounts with it. You still have the flexibility to go back further if you need, but my long neck required me to go forward. Another option that's QD is one of the extended mounts from ADM.

ETA: Found the post in this thread and quoted below. LINK
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GasLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I have the scope on 1x, and I look through it at 50 yards I can see 2 targets, the image through the scope is noticably lower than view through my 'weak' eye.</div></div>

Are you running an angled base/mount?

What you are seeing is a peculiarity with 1x scopes (any <span style="font-style: italic">scope</span> starting at 1.1x or 1x that allows binocular vision with both eyes open) that is an issue with all such scopes, yet I've never seen this talked about anywhere.

The way a scope is constructed, the image you see will shift up or down when dialing elevation, so when looking "straight ahead" with both eyes open, there will be an offset between the "bare eye" image and the one the "scope eye" picks up. As long as this offset is small (meaning the scope being near optically centered), this is not an issue. The further you get from optical center, the harder it gets for the brain to get the two images to match. This is very much like looking through a misaligned pair of binoculars. (Note: this does not apply to red dot sights since they don't use an erector system like a scope).

Normally, dialing large amounts of elevation only happens at longer ranges, but you'll use higher magnification at those longer ranges anyway, so no problem here. The problems start when putting such a scope on an inclined base/mount, because then you're way off optical center at short ranges. The same thing might happen if the base is crooked and lots of elevation/windage from optical center is necessary to zero the rifle, but since you are mentioning that the image through the scope is "lower", I'd guess there's a good bit of forward cant in your setup.

Bottom line: <span style="font-weight: bold">Do not use an angled base/mount for a 1-Xx scope!</span> It's not a fault of your individual scope but a result of being off optical center at short ranges. You will be able to "dial away" the effect by cranking in a couple mils of elevation (adjusting for long range).

Distortion at the edge of the FOV is generally a property of the optical design and as such varies when looking at different models.</div></div>

Here's a pic of my setup with the Leupold mount.

7361763236_06e83029e3_z.jpg

I have a KAC mount that is similar to the Badger 306-64, but I think it might have 10 MOA cant (KAC doesn't describe its products very well). Extended forward cantilever isn't really necessary with my rifle since it has an extended Pic unitary rail from the charging handle to the far end of the handguard.

Yes, I'd like to see pix! I don't have my CQBSS yet, but I can mock it up and see where my mount has to go to get the ocular to line up with the charging handle.

I would be surprised that a 20 MOA cant (only 1/3 of a degree) would cause unwanted optical effects since the field of view at 1x can be several degrees. If objects more than 1/3 degree off axis are not distorted at 1x, then why is there a problem with a small cant? The H27 reticle extends to 20 mrad or more (over 70 MOA) off axis - is looking that far off axis extremely distorted in your CQBSS? My simple examples suggest the CQBSS can work well in a canted mount.

PS I can imagine potential problems with extreme cant that places the erector at one extreme when zeroed, but this won't happen with only 10 or 20 MOA cant.

Thanks for the pic! I see the CQBSS is very long from the ocular to the turrent housing. So, tomorrow I will make some measurements and see where my KAC has to be mounted. The extended rail allows a lot of latitude.

I would go with the Leupold or GDI. I have a CQBSS in a SPUHR 0moa mount on a .762 and love it but I don't think you could get it far enough forward with the shorter upper on a .556. The 0 moa mounts work well with the CQBSS.

If you've got a 34mm KAC mount I wouldn't hesitate to use it regardless of cant. I'm not sure how far you're wanting to take this rig out, but I've run my 16" Knights ECC (with CQBSS in a 0-moa Larue mount) out to 1270 yards by dialing in 10 mils then using the reticle to hold the rest. I don't bother touching the dial inside of 800 meters, and this is not a flat-shooting set up.

If that KAC mount doesn't work for you for some reason and you don't want to spring for the Leupold or GDI, consider:
http://www.americanrifle.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=15&idcategory=2
or
http://www.benniecooley.com/bcsam.html

Thanks Sail. I just acquired an S&B with a Spuhr SP-4602 mount that would work for the CQBSS. I'd like something lighter, the Spuhr weighs a quarter pound more than the Badger! And my rifle is already too tubby. I plan to carry it for hunting, so weight makes a difference and the parts weight add up! The Spuhr is sure stoutly built, but strength isn't an issue.

Who sells the GDI mount at a discount? Please PM me if you don't want to say it here.

Andy, I don't plan to shoot 1kyd with my 14" barrel and it has only a 9" twist, so no 77gr Sierras. I could move the CQBSS over to a JP that shoots 77SMKs, but I'm starting with a rifle that needs an optic. I got the H27 more for the center ring/dot feature than for the Christmas tree, but I don't have it in hand yet and it may surprise me.

Its a heavy scope already, and with that Spuhr on top of a 14.5 it will be heavier. For a basic no nonsense mount I would look at the JP 34mm mount. I am looking at a 1-6 for an AR

Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't think of JP while surfing for info on mounts. The CQBSS is about 24 oz.

I received my CQBSS today and used a slightly cantilevered KAC mount, similar to the Badger I think. Haven't shot it yet, but the CQBSS sits well on the rail and at a good height for me. Gotta say this is one Horus reticle that I really like, especially the center doughnut that is very brightly lit at 1x.