• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing what pack for hunting?

Re: what pack for hunting?

You cant go wrong with most any EBERLESTOCK pack..The one I use is awesome and great for all day use..

manfrottotripod002.jpg

I started using this pack last spring bear hunting and cant say enough good about it. Mystery Ranch Longbow, using the NICE frame.

Pants look a little wet PGS

Eberlestock Minni Me, holds the rifle and goods for one day in the wild.

montana2010020.jpg

I carry a climbing tree stand so my back is pretty well covered. A couple of years ago I tried a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack. I found I could sling it off my shoulder either right or left side and it wouldn't interfere with the stand or my weapon.

The biggest plus for me is the fact that I can easily reconfigure pouches depending on the type of hunting--archery, BP or modern. Maxpedition has a full line of add on pouches which allow you to compartmentalize your stuff--food, first aid, cleaning, survival, and etc.

Well built, good warranty, a little pricey, but worth the investment.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Versipacks-c4.htm

another vote for eberlestock- look at the mil/tactical not soft like civy models but tough and got pals on them

Check out Blacks Creek. Good stuff as well.

I use the eberlestock gunslinger.
I also have Kifaru packs but the guy caring the gun always uses the gunslinger.

I also attach a small pouch to the outside for the most important items to be handy.

I use a Spec Ops MOLLE pack if I am going to carry a bunch of stuff in, if I am doing a day hunt and may be stalking in heavy timber I use a Camelbak that has a really soft outer shell that doesn't make that distinctive zip sound when something brushes against it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: P M P</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You cant go wrong with most any EBERLESTOCK pack..The one I use is awesome and great for all day use.. </div></div>

Agreed! I use the X1.

I've used both the Eberelestock and Mystery Ranch and for weight the Eberlestock is in nowhere near the same class.

P1060032_3.jpg

I tend to pack light...very light and for the past 3 years have been using a mid size fanny pack from zKreation - i can't even find them on the web now - bought from Cabelas many moons ago.

Yesterday at the mall doing some wife time, came across a little stand in the middle of the mall and they had some sling packs from Wittenberg. At first glance i was like "yeah right..." but upon closer exam and full teardown right there in the mall, it's worth every penny of the 20 bucks it set me back, and then some. It literally devoured all that was in the zKreation pack save for the water bottles but i have a belt loop bottle holder anyway for a 1 quart nalgene bottle i carry on day hikes and short hunts. Long hunts get the 2 qt bladder.

I much prefer a sling pack to the fanny any day of the week and I think my back is going to really appreciate this purchase. a day of hiking around with an improperly loaded or balanced fanny pack will make you feel like you walked one hell of a lot further than you did.

Now those full internal frame packs shown in the pics above...I don't have anyplace near my home to need a pack that big but they look nice
smile.gif

I used the Eberlestock J107 for the first time this year on two different elk hunts. I used it to pack in spike camps and also packed portions of 2 different bulls out. I really like it, but I wish they would incorporate a few smaller pockets on the pack. Just like the tag says though, "If you can pick it up, the pack will handle it."

I also bought and used the spike camp duffle which allowed me to dump the camp gear quickly. Helped keep my little tent orderly.

i have a badlands 2200 that im fairly impressed with ,but if you have the $ go with kifaru , the thought and quality that goes into all their products shows everytime you use them .

I went for the Mystery Ranch Crewcab. For packing in your camp on your back, hunt from camp, and pack meat out on your back, it is THE PACK for the job.

There is some guide's blog you can link to off their site for more info about it in actual use.

forgot all about kifaru

:thumbs up: +1
smile.gif

I can vouch for their woobie too, it's one very warm poncho liner/emergency warmth/shelter thingamajig. I left mine in vegas and my old landlord would not ship it to me. kept my damn deposit too...bastid