• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what pellet type?

oldiephrt

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2020
I am New to (late) the PCP hunt. I purchased a .30 Hatsan Bully. Now, I find out it has choked barrel. Anshutz target rim fires use to use choked barrels and shot solid projectiles well. Questions: 1, may I use solids/slugs/hp's in this gun?
2, what is the heaviest weight projectile you have used?
3, other than Hatsan pellets, what fits?
I do not Know where else to post/ask here.

Last edited:
Check on airgunnation, what other users use in it.
Usually the barrels for slugs are not factory installed, it might shoot them but not as good.

Check also youtube channel AirArmshuntingSA
Here are few of his videos I found on slugs, the first goes over FX barrel twist rates and slug use:

Thank you for the reply. I will double check the airgunnation site. His ^^^ videos were a main factor in starting large cal. PCP.
I will break down and call Hatsan , Their web site seems to want a lot of personal info just for a few questions that I feel should be included with purchase via owners manual.

Last edited:
JSB makes some of the best pellets on the market.
Is there a standard length to pellets? I have not seen any length listed in the adverts. I ordered 123gr slugs online and then had the thought what if they were too long? Went to the sites Chat for help (which I assume uses a script 'cause nope!) answer,"yes the slugs you ordered will work." I must be bored as I am talking to much.
Thank you

Some pellets are longer than others. The longer pellets I do not shoot because of weight. I do shoot lots of slugs, and slugs are longer than pellets. I shoot .177, .22, and .25. All shoot pellets and slugs. Never shot a .30 cal. The JSB 44 gr is the pellet I would start with in 30 cal. Your gun will/should shoot the JSB 44 with no issues.

Thank you @Big Bo , Those are on my list. I was hoping to use 50+ grainers as this purchase is for hog/predator control. I guess I am spoiled by firearm manufacturers with all the info length, optimal twist rate for the projectile, Barrel twist of gun purchased.

Some pellets are longer than others. The longer pellets I do not shoot because of weight. I do shoot lots of slugs, and slugs are longer than pellets. I shoot .177, .22, and .25. All shoot pellets and slugs. Never shot a .30 cal. The JSB 44 gr is the pellet I would start with in 30 cal. Your gun will/should shoot the JSB 44 with no issues.

By longer are you referencing pellets such as the JSB RD Monsters (.22?)

Is there a standard length to pellets? I have not seen any length listed in the adverts. I ordered 123gr slugs online and then had the thought what if they were too long? Went to the sites Chat for help (which I assume uses a script 'cause nope!) answer,"yes the slugs you ordered will work." I must be bored as I am talking to much.
Thank you

I doubt those 123gr slugs will shoot well, if stabilize at all, in that Hatsan. The normal grain weight is the 43-47gr slugs commonly used in pcp 30 cal air rifles.

In other words you'd need a 1 in 8 twist for those 123 gr slugs but for pellets a 1 in 28 is about right.

You are correct about them not working. They will not even fit in the magazine. My chaff about them is that I used the stores Chat to confirm appropriateness before finalizing order. Maybe they will work in an '06? Lead vapor!

You are correct about them not working. They will not even fit in the magazine. My chaff about them is that I used the stores Chat to confirm appropriateness before finalizing order. Maybe they will work in an '06? Lead vapor!
Youtube is your friend.

By longer are you referencing pellets such as the JSB RD Monsters (.22?)
Yes, and the like. I do not like shooting the long heavy pellets because of air consumption and lack of speed for me. In .177 I gave away the 15 gr and heavier pellets and slugs, in .25 the heaviest slugs I have owned are 34.7 gr. For the shooting I do, 26-34 gr is plenty. I get complete pass through on the small game I hunt with the above mentioned pellets, and I do not have to refill air as often as ones pushing 40 plus grain pellets/slugs at the fps I shoot.