• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What powder for Hornady 75 gr BTHP?

Utah Shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2010
SL UT
I have an RRA Predator Pursuit 20" and although I can get pretty decent groups with 8208 XBR I am wondering if anyone has had luck with other powders?

Re: What powder for Hornady 75 gr BTHP?

i had some decent results with Win 748. I'm sure there's better powders for the combo, but i was getting some great accuracy out of them, but didn't have a chrono at the time so no idea what i was really pushing them at.

I'm playing with some 8208 XBR with decent results.. however I haven't found a load as accurate as with Varget just yet.

24gr of Varget shoots pretty dang good out of my 9t 20". I've tried others but keep coming back to varget.

Mick

Varget has been the powder that works for me as well - most accurate load in my heavy barrel AR.

24 gr of varget with the 75 at mag length should run fine.

Varget or RL-15

I've been using A2520 for a year and a half with great results. If I wanted something more temp stable I would take a hard look at Varget but I'm not a big fan of stick powder through the progressive

Varget is the standard for these loads, but AR-Comp should give you better burn percentage, velocity, and temperature stability.

I load varget.
RL15 shot about as good, but I didn't do any testing at different temperatures.
Varget is known for temperature stability.
Besides, I prefer to spend my money with Hodgdon and not ATK.

Another vote for varget. It really works well with the heavies.

I used to use Varget but now I run TAC with the Hr75s. I get great velocity from everything from 14.5-20" and it shoots bug holes.

Only Ramshot powder I have loved and its a good one.

FWIW Black Hills uses TAC for their 75's.

24 grains Tac worked good for me.Varget and rl 15 are good too.Also 23 gr 2230 in the ole bolt seated to the lands runs around 1/2 consistantly.

24.5 grains of 2520 gives me 2785 fps and EXCELLENT accuracy out of my 18 inch SS 1/8 barrel. I tried Varget, 4064 and 4895 but I could not get the speed I was looking for. The accuracy between all those powders were the same....EXCELLENT.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SD243</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had great results using Ramshot Tac </div></div>

Me too in my BCM SS410 upper with standard handguards and a mil-spec trigger. 23.0gr of TAC using a Remington 7 1/2 primer, Federal brass, and seated to 2.260" produces 1"-1.5" 5-shot groups at 100 yards with a TA11J-G ACOG.

I could probably do better if I shot more or used a better trigger/scope setup but I'm happy with what I'm getting with the setup I have.

I use Tac for bulk loading on a progressive press because it meters great through the powder measure. For match ammunition, I use a 24gr charge of either Varget or Reloader 15. Both give good accuracy, but I get more speed out of the RL15.

I have a Predator Pursuit upper and it shoots really tight with 23.0gr Accurate 2230C, Hornady 75 hpbt, and Win Brass. Running across my Chrono around 2800fps with no signs of pressure. SD is really low as powder is very fine and meters extremely well.

I have been doing some load work with RL-15 with 23.5 grains in federal brass and getting decent groups(all around .6-.85@ 100). I have some 2000mr on the way and if it is anything like my 308 it should shoot even better.