• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

?WHAT POWDER MEASURER TO GO WITH?

donshaw

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2009
Altenburg Missouri
IM TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT POWDER MEASURER TO GO WITH IVE BEEN LOOKING EVERYWHERE EACH MEASURER I LOOK AT HAS QUITE A BIT OF REVIEWS THAT SAY IT SUX OR THE MAIN ONE I HEAR IS ( IT WONT STAY CALIBRATED )

PLEASE HELP ME WITH MY SELECTION

IM RELOADING MATCH 308

THX

Re: ?WHAT POWDER MEASURER TO GO WITH?

MUST I POST THE PICTURE....AGAIN ?

I ACTUALLY HAVE IN MY POSSESSION A GEN 2 THAT I FOUND IN A GARAGE..........UNUSED CAN YOU FUCKING BELIEVE THAT....ANYWAY I WOULD SELL IT TO THE NEXT HIGHEST BIDDER.....CURRENT BID IS JUST UNDER 3K

ANYONE?

I guess I never really worried about it since I weigh my charges and trickle each load anyway. Mine is an old Ohaus Dual Measure and it does me fine. Personally if you are wanting to load match ammo I'd be weighing each charge anyway and for the few seconds it takes to trickle in to get it perfect is not that big a deal.

I have a Hornday on the LNL, Dillon on the 550, the Ohaus Duo Measure and a really old Lyman #55 for small calibers. All have served themselves well for the way I'm using them.

Topstrap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MUST I POST THE PICTURE....AGAIN ?

Pic? Sorry never saw it

I ACTUALLY HAVE IN MY POSSESSION A GEN 2 THAT I FOUND IN A GARAGE..........UNUSED CAN YOU FUCKING BELIEVE THAT....ANYWAY I WOULD SELL IT TO THE NEXT HIGHEST BIDDER.....CURRENT BID IS JUST UNDER 3K

ANYONE?

</div></div>

This smeels of BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A new Gen 2 sitting there unmolested.
Did an old lady will it to you LOL!!!!!!
or it fell from the heavens god this is great

I have never laughed as hard

here is the opening bid $.01

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MUST I POST THE PICTURE....AGAIN ?

ANYONE?

</div></div>

As far as the standard measures the Bob Dodd powder measure that Sinclairs sells is the most accurate and consistent.

Steve

Just get a common powder dump. All that supposid +- X precision is just window washing. The variance from case to case will negate all those fancy powder charges. And the only time I weigh cases is when I have lost the will to live!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hgr2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just get a common powder dump. All that supposid +- X precision is just window washing. The variance from case to case will negate all those fancy powder charges. And the only time I weigh cases is when I have lost the will to live!!</div></div>

...this is why god invented Popsicle stick loads

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This smeels of BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A new Gen 2 sitting there unmolested.
Did an old lady will it to you LOL!!!!!!
or it fell from the heavens god this is great

I have never laughed as hard

here is the opening bid $.01

ANYONE?

</div></div></div></div>

.....WAIT for it..............

Bolttripper,
your good thought you would have bitten on the BULLSHIT

Great one
Bill

WAIT FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

008-1.jpg

An old Lyman/Ohaus M5 is what I use, works fine for me. I'm just not a digital type of person. Simpler is better for me.

Topstrap

BOLTRIPPER, you should just add that and the $60k Glock to your sig line.

I'll shoot a hole in my G19C box and trade you straight across for the Prometheus.

Don,
You have two paths before you. The first is somewhat conventional. You can use a scale in conjunction with either a powder measure or some other means of placing a volume of powder in the scale pan, like a spoon or a set of dippers. It is then adjusted to the desired weight by using a spoon, pinching powder with your fingers, or trickling with a piece of equipment designed for purpose, usually referred to as a <span style="font-style: italic">trickler</span>. Good quality beam scales are available from Dillon. RCBS and Redding. Redding also has an excellent trickler.

The second route is to emulate the Prometheus device represented here. RCBS and Lyman furnish such pieces of equipment, and Hornady is introducing one. Currently, the RCBS ChargeMaster Combo seems to be state of the art for the mass-produced units. Of course, the Prometheus should not be overlooked.

Either way you proceed, you should have a set of check weights, available from RCBS or Lyman. Incidentally, the second method seems to be the preferred one these days.

With stick powders, my Lee Perfect Powder Measure only very rarely varies, and then not more than 0.1gr. I dial it in until I get the desired charge weight using a RCBS 505 scale, and then dispense. I weigh every 10 charges as recommended but it doesn't vary. Probably 90% of the time it's off 0.0gr. I'd trust it along with a 505 or similar scale more than an electronic scale in the price range of the Chargemaster that is subject to the vagaries of the power line and surrounding electromagnetic/RF fields.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 4Rail_Gunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BOLTRIPPER, say you didnt happen to find that in Brand Cole's garage did you? lol
</div></div>

shhhh,.......B.Melick might be watching, i tried to get the plinth but could not fit it under my hoodie.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BOLTRIPPER, you should just add that and the $60k Glock to your sig line.

I'll shoot a hole in my G19C box and trade you straight across for the Prometheus.</div></div>

i'm now holding out for the gold plated model Glock.....besides why do i need TWO broke-dick tupperware boxes,,,,,MY 60,000.00 pistol has been the subject of litigation and handled by numerous Barristers.......and has Provenance to boot!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hgr2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just get a common powder dump. All that supposid +- X precision is just window washing. The variance from case to case will negate all those fancy powder charges. And the only time I weigh cases is when I have lost the will to live!! </div></div>
This statement is " not " entirley wrong !
Once you get a truley precision gun and chamber , match quality barrel , perfectly concentric ammo and high quality BR bullets , you will find that the actual weight of powder is not as important as you first thought for short range BR group shooting .
Sure we have to have accurate consistant powder measures but do we really need to weigh to finer than tenths of a grain ? I am not convinced .

I'll call Brand tomorrow to see if any of the few Gen 2s have been reported stolen.

"WHAT IS A GOOD ACCURATE SCALE TO GO WITH THEN?"

Well, I believe you're kinda over agonizing on the whole thing. If there was a great difference with them, or even a small consistant difference, the better tool would dominate the market. That doesn't happen. Personal prefferences aside, there really ain't much practical difference between any of the tools available.

I can tell you I prefer Redding's BR3 measure and trickler plus an Ohaus (RCBS) beam scale but others love what ever they use just as well. And rightly so, it's all good stuff. None of it's magic, good working methods make much more difference than the brand or model of anything mechanical.

....no what Gunny is saying is, is ....its nice to have a backup, YOU being a man of means !

welcome to the Hide

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RQI</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gunny says the black one works better...

</div></div>

Wanna sell the green one then?
grin.gif

~Mike

I've been loading for over 30 years. I started with RCBS and my Old Star Progressive Machine used a Pacific powder measure. I ended up using a Belding and Mull for my competition loads and in fact for almost all my loads. For a powder measure that will throw a charge the Belding and Mull is probably the best. However I now use and prefer the Lyman 1200 electronic powder measure. Instead of having to deal with a + or - of .2 or .3 grains it fills the powder pan with exactly the same ammount every time. It does not matter if I'm measuring 6 grains or 228 grains for my 50 BMG it works for them all, ball, flake or extruded.

Acculab Vic 123 or Denver MXX 123 (both are the same scale made by Sartoruis)are good choices. The Acculab can be found for about $250 IIRC online. If you get one, go into the settings and change to either "unstable" or "very unstable" take a little longer to balence, but far really works nice with no constantly moving zero.

The powder measure doesnt matter as long as you are close each time and then trickle the rest to spec. I only recomend the redding #2 scale and a room w/ no air circulation!