• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What Powders for 260 Rem????

Sniper260

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2013
I have a custom built 260 tactical - 260 rem with a deeper throat to seat 140 gr berger vlds... 1:8 twist - 27 or 28 inch barrel..? I forget. I'm shooting 41 grs of H4350 right now that gives me the best groups.... Yet it is not as consistant as I want with grouping, and it will not shoot under a half inch every single time.. time after time... I've gotten some good groups with it, I know it will shoot, I'm just not getting the results I want with H4350... Any Ideas on another powder to test out to see if it likes it any better?

45.0 gr H4831sc under 140 smks is sub 3/8" in my rifle. Pulls double duty with my 6.5-06 as well. Very versatile.

What brass are you using? 41 grains seems a little low, Im running 42.9 grs H4350 remington brass with 142 smks. I get around 2750 fps in a 24" 8tw rock barrel.

AA-4350 is very, very close to H-4350 in the 260 Rem., but it's a long stick powder that doesn't meter all that well. You might that it's a bit cheaper, as well.

Chris

Lapua brass.... 4831sc was my next first choice...

I tested some loads above 41gr of h4350 but I could not get groups worth a crap... it seems to shoot the best at 41gr.. I want more out of it too... thats why im looking at options... may just not like this powder... who knows. .

I would try different bullets to see what the rifle likes.
consistant groups are worth giving up a little BC

This.

The VLD's you're using are far more likely to be causing the inconsistencies than is the H4350.

This.

The VLD's you're using are far more likely to be causing the inconsistencies than is the H4350.

^^ this or try adjusting your seating depth back and forth a bit, VLD's are a bit temperamental to seating depth from time to time.