• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What power and brand scope would you recommend ??

mob

Private
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2009
orlando, FL
Hey guys, building a precision rifle, and it's my first one. The rife is a rem 700 sps tactical AAC-SD 308 caliber, in a aics chassis and has a seekins 20moa rail. The rifle ranges in Florida goto about 500-600 but want to be able to shoot up to the 900-1k that the 308 is capable if I go out of state and they have a long range. My budget is about $1000 for wholesale pricing, so far Im thinking from what I've been researching that vortex or night force would be a good choice, but I don't know what zoom range is best and what other features I need/want . i will also be assumingly running a larue LT104 mount, so figure 800 for the scope in this 1k budget.

My shooting style is a 100 or 200yrd zero and then do holdover for shooting so I'm guessing that mildot or Horus reticle is what I should look for ? Im also figuring that I will go with a once piece scope mount (assuming larue or some other nice qd mount) so that it eliminates scope ring deflection and I can also put it. On a 300 blackout rifle that I'm building ( going based upon that art of the precision rifle DVD where the guy is saying instead of a few ok scopes just invest in a very nice scope and just swap around.

Re: What power and brand scope would you recommend ??

I think there's at least one other scope you really need to check out and put on your list. It's the Sightron S III 6-24x by 50mm LR MOA/MOA. I would check with Scott at Liberty Optics: http://www.libertyoptics.com/index1.html
This scope has exposed tactical knobs, glass that is nearly as good as NF and Scott will take good care of you..he's a great guy to work with.

Also....did you factor in a base for this rig?

Wayne

Your idea of swapping the scope from rifle to rifle is o.k....but as soon as you can afford it..I would get scopes dedicated to each rifle. You'll need to keep notes regarding your zero numbers for each rifle...might become a PITA. Also, you don't want to risk damaging your equipment if you are frequently transferring the scope ( I'm a clumsy SOB...I'd be worried about dropping the scope.)

Holdovers and doping the wind are great skills to develop...but I think it's worth your time and money to get a ballistics program and learn to dial in your dope. That way you understand more about your rifle and how it performs. Then your holdovers and windage can be used for fine tuning your dope. Like I said..nothing wrong with holdovers and Kentucky windage....use it when I'm varmint hunting. But I appreciate the deeper understaning of my equipment and ammo with leaning to dial my dope.

Good Luck,

Wayne

My choice, three times, has been the NightForce NXS 5.5-22x50. I have yet to be disappointed with the clarity at any range.

Right now, I have the cash on hand to purchase a Schmidt & Bender, Premier Heritage, or Hensoldt but seeing as how I don't shoot comps and I'm not an 'operator', I just can't justify the cost.

Buy what you want and if you can't afford what you want, save your nickels and dimes until you can. Remember this; buy once, cry once.

Killshot:

You are right that NF makes a great scope..no doubt about it. But he said he had about an $800 budget...so that's why I recommended the Sightron.

You don't need to be an "Operator" to own a S&B or other high end scope. If you ever have the chance....compare them to your NF...side by side. I did that with my NXS and BR scope...against my Premier. And while the NF is an excellent product...there was something special about the German glass...at least for my eye. A few clicks down on cost for German glass is IOR. But regardless....the NF and other premium priced scopes are out of the Op's stated budget...so this tends to narrow the field a bit.

I'm really thankful we've got so many options available...and that they fit many budgets. I think we, as consumers, benefit from each company striving to build a better product and offer it at competitive prices.

Wayne

P.S.

I recommended the comparison...not as a slam to you or NF...but as a real life comparison of the difference between high end Japanese glass versus German. It really is an interesting and educational experience. I don't question NF's quality and craftmanship...nor your choice in scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Senderofan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Killshot:

You are right that NF makes a great scope..no doubt about it. But he said he had about an $800 budget...so that's why I recommended the Sightron.

You don't need to be an "Operator" to own a S&B or other high end scope. If you ever have the chance....compare them to your NF...side by side. I did that with my NXS and BR scope...against my Premier. And while the NF is an excellent product...there was something special about the German glass...at least for my eye. A few clicks down on cost for German glass is IOR. But regardless....the NF and other premium priced scopes are out of the Op's stated budget...so this tends to narrow the field a bit.

I'm really thankful we've got so many options available...and that they fit many budgets. I think we, as consumers, benefit from each company striving to build a better product and offer it at competitive prices.

Wayne

P.S.

I recommended the comparison...not as a slam to you or NF...but as a real life comparison of the difference between high end Japanese glass versus German. It really is an interesting and educational experience. I don't question NF's quality and craftmanship...nor your choice in scopes.</div></div>

My bad, I didn't see the $800 price mentioned as I was on my iPhone at work. In that case, the Sightron SIII or Bushnell Elite or Vortex Viper PST would serve him well.

In reference to the 'operator' comment, I wasn't saying a person shouldn't purchase one unless they're an 'operator' but only meant that I couldn't justify the cost seeing as how I'm merely a weekend shooter and such an optic would be wasted on what I would be using it for. If someone else can justify it, regardless of what kind of shooting they do, more power to'em. I just can't, personally.

I've been very please with the performance of my Bushnell ET's. They are several years old and still performing great. I'm rough on gear and they have taken a beating and still ticking. Knobs are big though.

+1 Vortex. There are some very good choices out there for sure! For me it is how I'm treated after they get my money? Vortex customer service is second to none!!!

I would think that you would waste a lot of ammo ~ re-zeroing every time you swap ~ especially if you are using good (Match) ammo.
You might want to push your budget a bit an look at the SS 5x20x50HD it is sightly above that.
You can also get a Night Force 3.5x15x50 in the $1500 range and they pop up quite a bit in the classified ~ great scopes.
IOR makes some very competent scopes too.
I would think something in the 15~20x would work nicely for your purpose.
I don't like the idea of swapping scopes too much though.

Id say atleast 10 power if you wanna hit at 1K. Got to EuroOptics and look at there used scopes, some are used, some are just poorly packed. Either way they have some good deals time to time, they have a 4-14x50 leupold now that would be great. Look around, theyre are some good used deals to be had.

I emailed Alex on the ior valdada he has.

Looks like I'll be putting this on hold as I'm going to sell my aics chassis and AAC-sd to pay off my student loan in full and probably get another setup at the end of the year