• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What power do you need on ATACR to use the reticle for holdovers?

TacBlade

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2010
Wyoming
Do I need to have my power ring on a certain power to use the MOAR reticle for holdovers? I have the Nightforce ATACR.

There is also a mark at half power ( obviously double the mil value ).

^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^ is a great thing that Nightforce did on the ATACR so it is now easy to dial the scope to the half power tick mark and be able to use double value holdovers, rather than to find the correct half power manually and put your own half power tick mark like you have to do on the Nightforce NSX's.

Can someone show a pic of that? I'm looking to buy a nightforce and can't get my hands on one. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20140301_211645.jpg

I thought it was still 22 power..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I thought it was still 22 power..

Yes, me too!!! There is a review somewhere I read that states that the 22, 25 & 32 power scopes have to be set at 22 power for the reticle to work. That is why I asked this question as that confused me? Also, in the ATACR scope directions, does that say that somewhere? I cannot find it?

Wouldn't ALL SFP scopes do the same at exactly half value?

Yes, they will, but what you would have to do is to calibrate the reticle yourself at half power. You would put a 2 mil line on a target @ 100 yards and then dial your scope down to where the 2 mil line fits between the 1 mil line in your scope. You would then put your own tic mark on the scope power ring to mark the half power setting. This would be a more precise way to get the half power setting without relying on the numbered markings on the powder ring.

Yes, me too!!! There is a review somewhere I read that states that the 22, 25 & 32 power scopes have to be set at 22 power for the reticle to work. That is why I asked this question as that confused me? Also, in the ATACR scope directions, does that say that somewhere? I cannot find it?

It's no where to be found. ..

Yes, they will, but what you would have to do is to calibrate the reticle yourself at half power. You would put a 2 mil line on a target @ 100 yards and then dial your scope down to where the 2 mil line fits between the 1 mil line in your scope. You would then put your own tic mark on the scope power ring to mark the half power setting. This would be a more precise way to get the half power setting without relying on the numbered markings on the powder ring.

Nope, NF has already done that for you, that's what Sandbogg is showing you in the pic he posted, the 1/2 power mark at 12.5X on his ATACR, my NXS 5.5-22 has the same mark at 11X

Nope, NF has already done that for you, that's what Sandbogg is showing you in the pic he posted, the 1/2 power mark at 12.5X on his ATACR, my NXS 5.5-22 has the same mark at 11X

I was answering Bender's question "Wouldn't ALL SFP scopes do the same at half value" Obviously, you didn't read the thread. I remarked in post #4 that I thought it is outstanding that Nightforce put a tic mark at the half value on the ATACR. You seem to think Nightforce has a half tic mark on all of their scopes.

I have a 6 year old Nightforce NXS 3.5-15X50 that DOES NOT have a tic mark at the half (7.5) power. That is why I was remarking. I don't know when Nightforce started to put a tic mark at half power, maybe they have had it on all of their 5.5-22 NXS's, I don't know. Maybe they started it when they brought out the high speed turrets, again, I don't know, but I do know my non HS turret 3.5-15X50 scope doesn't have it.

As far as answering Bender's question about ALL SFP scopes, my answer is explaining a way to calibrate any SFP scope at true half power.

Here's a short article by Linden Sisk who describes a similar way as I described to properly calibrate a SFP scope to make sure you actually have it a true half power:

How to Optically Check a Rifle Scope

Vortex PST's also are already marked. In multiples, 2x, 3x, 4x. And seem to be calibrated pretty well. Just gotta do the math