• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing What Remington 700 SAs use the .308 bolt face?

USMCsean

Former Jarhead
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2014
    Ohio
    I'm looking for any action to build into a .308 gun. Which 700s, chambered in other cartridges, use the same .308 bolt face? I am having the gun rebarreled, so it won't matter to me if I'm just taking the barrel off.

USMCsean said:
    Which 700s, chambered in other cartridges, use the same .308 bolt face?

Any factory rifle in the following calibers:

22-250
    7-08

I've found a guy selling what he says is a short action in .223. Is this not true then?

Ok. My plan is to look for any SA with a .308 bolt face, regardless of caliber to use as the donor. If I can't find one, I was going to expand my search and just get any SA and sell the bolt. Then use the $$$ to help purchase a PTG made bolt. Am I way off base? Or do you guys see this as a way of getting what I need to get what I want?

Sean,
    With all due respect, if you do not know the answer to your question, you have no business building a rifle from a need standpoint. (It is clearly your right to do so.) Get some experience and do some shooting. The more you know, the better your build will end up. And, you may find you do not need to do a build at all.

Ok. My plan is to look for any SA with a .308 bolt face, regardless of caliber to use as the donor.

Then buy any factory 700 chambered in 22-250, 243, 260, 7-08 or 308. All those are short action cartridges using a .473 bolt face, often referred to as "standard bolt face".

17 Rem, 204 Ruger, 221 Fireball, 223/5.56, and 300 AAC are short action cartridges that have a .378 bolt face, often referred to as "223 bolt face".

Factory 700 LONG actions can also have a .473 bolt face, for chamberings like 270, 280, 30-06.

What *exactly* are you hoping to build, and who are you planning to have build it?

I appreciate the help from everyone. I find this place has a wealth of knowledge. On the surface, I would agree whole heartedly that I shouldn't be building a gun if I didn't know what I'm doing. And I really don't. Which is why I am having someone who i know you would all agree is more than competent. If he chooses to reply, I'll leave that to him.

I am just on the hunt for parts, and I am responsible for getting it all together and shipped to him for the build. He hasn't been on lately, so he may be indisposed. Which is why I am asking the questions. Otherwise, he may have answered them. But they get them in the required configuration already. Not like me. Lol. I'm just after the action.

And this will eventually be an M40A3 or M40A5.

I dunno, if I were looking for a "bargain" action in an M700 foot print, I'd just get a Stiller (the cheapest after market 700 clone I can think of at the moment). I wouldn't go through the trouble of tracking down a stock action, only to put a bunch of work into and swap out a bolt, et.

Go to Walmart and buy a 243 or 22-250 etc for $420 and strip it and sell off the scraps. Best way to get yourself a new rem action.

Yes, the SN will be the only detail that will not be correct. I am looking for the correct prefix though, an E or an F.

Go to Walmart and buy a 243 or 22-250 etc for $420 and strip it and sell off the scraps. Best way to get yourself a new rem action.

+1 on that.

You mentioned starting with a short action set up for .223. Aside from the bolt face, you would have to change the feed rails as well. At that point it's really not worth it when one can find an action as common as a R700 with a .473 bolt face.

Last edited: