• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What rifle case are you using

saleen308

Private
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2009
Katy, TX
I'm in the market for a rifle case for my 24" Howa with a B&C stock, 6x9 bipod and Vortex 5.5-20x50 scope. Any suggestions on something good that won't break the bank?

Re: What rifle case are you using

It would help to know what your budget is and what you plan to be doing? If you are planning any air travel then a heavy-duty lockable hard case is a must. However, if the case is only for trips to the range or short duration travel to a competition or training event then a soft sided case would be more logical.

I've owned drag bags and hard cases but anymore I use a simple TAB Gear Cover whenever I travel for a match or headed to the range. It's light, it's very well made, and it does a sufficient job of securing and protecting the rifle while it's riding in the back of the Jeep. Sometimes I also use an Eagle scope and crown cover for some extra protection. Keep in mind I only use it when I'm driving...anything more than that (i.e. flying/shipping)gets a hard case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: saleen308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm in the market for a rifle case for my 24" Howa with a B&C stock, 6x9 bipod and Vortex 5.5-20x50 scope. Any suggestions on something good that won't break the bank? </div></div>

second hand Storm rifle case, I've seen them go for 100bucks (saw one last year) it's a pelican case but not pelican price...

What I run:
-Eagle DB-BS mat case. My go-to for range and match use

-Galati copy of the Eagle HSRC. Was what I used since the days
when black was cool. served me well, role now taken over by the Eagle.

-Starlight hard case-Airplanes. Screw the fancy foam cutouts unless neat-o internet pictures are your goal. Take the main foam out and put the rifle in inside your case/mat of choice.

-TacForce drag bag-just got it and haven't used it yet, seems like a well made heavy bag I can haul extra rifle and a bunch of gear in. Problem with heavy rifle in a drag bag that has lots of pocket=lots of weight.

There was a time when I used the Storm iM3300 hard case with the Eagle FieldPak insert that could carry two long rifles. When loaded down with a bolt gun, shotgun or AR15, and a pistol, it was a good thing it was equipped with wheels because it was simply too freaking heavy. I agree about the hard case foam though, pull that crap out because in all practicality you are wasting your time. Sure it'll look cool when you get it all nice and cut out but as soon as you change stocks, optics, or add an accessory and you're back to the drawing board making another cut or finding new foam. I've got a box upstairs stuffed with old cut up foam from a couple of hard cases. Like Sobr said foam cut outs look great on the internet but it's much better to pull it out and use the soft case inside the hard case.

Midway drag bag.. holds two full size rifles and is pretty solid for sub $75

I have been using 3 NC Star case/mats for the last 1 1/2 and they are holding up quit well. I would not pay full price for one but I got them at cost $25 from a friend who owns a paintball/airsoft field. If you can get them for under 50 they holdup surprising well. I haven't had any rips or busted zippers. By the way i hate buying chinesse crap but with the savings I can buy more ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldreliable45120</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pelican or Storm. Just cant see putting $4000.00 plus rifles in cheep or soft rifle cases. My 2 cents. </div></div>

What are you worried will happen? Seriously.

I carry a rifle that is valued at quite a bit more than $4K in a soft case in the back of a police car every day. If I was the least bit worried about that rifle placing a bullet EXACTLY where I wanted it to go, then I would have it in a Pelican.

I have a Pelican for flying. It's overkill for a drive to the range or even patrol duty.

I have used a Condor drag bag and now a VooDoo MOLLE case. All it does is keep the rifle clean and prevent stuff from popping open the scope caps or rolling across the turrets. If I was going to spend some coin I would get a Eagle or SOTech bag.

Since I happen to have a couple sewing machines and some 1000D laying about I am planning something a little different and the cheap MOLLE case works fine for now.

Here is my review of the Condor Bag I did awhile back. It managed just fine through several schools, quite a bit of stalking and a couple years in a patrol car.

http://www.8541tactical.com/condor_dragbag.php

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[
I have a Pelican for flying. It's overkill for a drive to the range or even patrol duty.
</div></div>
agree... i have a few pelican's but only use them when i need to throw my rifle in the back of my truck or ranger, or haulin em to gun shows, when i know its gonna get bounced around.

I use a Tac Ops drag bag for range trips and a Starlight case for air travel.

I also have 2 pelicans for when I fly but otherwise i use soft cases. I also don't buy $4000 rifles I have 3 girls to put through college. Maybe after they are through with college then i will splurge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldreliable45120</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pelican or Storm. Just cant see putting $4000.00 plus rifles in cheep or soft rifle cases. My 2 cents. </div></div>

http://www.8541tactical.com/condor_dragbag.php</div></div>

To each their own.. but this is my thought as well. A $4K gun should be solid and durable. Just tossing it in the back of the pick-up bed w/o I case I can understand, but a soft case for going from place to place should be more than enough. I don't see troops carring pelican cases to get into position.

Starlight did great for my trip to Africa last year. Scope held zero perfectly sitting in seekins mounts. Can't say the same for the other guys rifle.
Use whatever soft case for going to range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldreliable45120</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pelican or Storm. Just cant see putting $4000.00 plus rifles in cheep or soft rifle cases. My 2 cents. </div></div>

I carry a rifle that is valued at quite a bit more than $4K in a soft case in the back of a police car every day. If I was the least bit worried about that rifle placing a bullet EXACTLY where I wanted it to go, then I would have it in a Pelican.

I have used a Condor drag bag and now a VooDoo MOLLE case. All it does is keep the rifle clean and prevent stuff from popping open the scope caps or rolling across the turrets. If I was going to spend some coin I would get a Eagle or SOTech bag.

Since I happen to have a couple sewing machines and some 1000D laying about I am planning something a little different and the cheap MOLLE case works fine for now.

Here is my review of the Condor Bag I did awhile back. It managed just fine through several schools, quite a bit of stalking and a couple years in a patrol car.

http://www.8541tactical.com/condor_dragbag.php </div></div>

I think we are worried about the cosmetics of our rifles, as there's flaws there's depreciation on its value. But to some that know for sure that they will shoot the crap out of their rifle then these don't matter. It's just our ADD kicking in and we just can't help it!
laugh.gif
But If I can afford to spend $5000 on a rifle and shoot $400 a month worth of ammo, then I can afford to buy me a $50 dollar foam. Anyway, these are just my opinion...

I have Pelican and Starlight cases for travel. I have generic and Voodoo and Tac Ops softcases for range trips most of the time I just put them in the back seat and cover with a blanket and sling them from car to range. I think whatever case gives you the length you need as well as the pockets and arrangement that best suits your personal organization needs. I cant imagine having to haul everything around in a hardcase all the time. But for travel I guess the Pelican I like pretty well I just have different cutouts done with foam and hot wire. Im pretty sure the plane could run over that case and the rifle/scope would be fine but kinda an overkill for just general hauling around town.

If you are sending $400 worth of ammo monthly through your $5000 rifle and its not getting scratched up from use you are not getting the most out of your money....

Cabela's al cases are a good value when on sale--have a good locking mechanism also--Pelican for airline travel

visit the tactical sites here like TRIAD for great soft bags

I picked up an Eberlestock dragbag from Ceylon here on the hide. great product, not a tru drag bag, but im not dragging it. fits inside my storm i3300 case for long travel and it holds a bunch of stuff and is really well balenced

second on the eberle stock 'Dynamite Drag Bag' combined with the iM3300 storm case (you can get both in a single order from them):
- bag for everything range/shooting related
- case for crossing borders (europe) / flight / etc

i especially like the shoulder straps for the eberle drag bag. wear it like a backpack if you need to. if you're just walk a couple of meters to the range, you can detach the shoulder straps in a few seconds (and leave them at home right away).

foam is nice, but as mentioned above - once you change gear, you'l have to cut and fix ... also: why have the foam when won't be dragging the case into the woods anyway? all i need is a stable case for the rifle. and the eberle bag just perfectly fits in (including my rifle) + some additional gear

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are sending $400 worth of ammo monthly through your $5000 rifle and its not getting scratched up from use you are not getting the most out of your money.... </div></div>

If that's how you see it, it's cool. But I'm sure I'll get most of my money back if someday I have to get rid of my rifle...

i'm using the sportlok tactical black aluminum case. its nice, black on black. its light and fits my gear well.

Eagle had one that I paid retail bought a bunch more on sale from Natchez last month. I can understand not wanting to pay 400 for a bag but at 150 it was a no brainer

the cheap plano cases work fine for me for range trips...its just a little too long to fit in the trunk of a mustang...i've never traveled with a personal weapon on an airline, i let the army pick up the tab for the pelicans when that was my life

i usually have mine in the bed of the truck so its in a pelican. but i just got an eagle hrsc and it is tits. i think ill find i start using it much more, plus all wrapped and ready, it fits inside my pelican.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Midway drag bag.. holds two full size rifles and is pretty solid for sub $75 </div></div>
+1

Great bag for the money. Sometimes they are on sale too.

I use a three way system
Initial cover is a TAB Rifle Cover
That goes inside a Eagle Tri Fold Drag Bag Mat\
That goes inside a Storm case with foam out for airline carry

Eagle hybrid sniper case. Not only is it awesome but it makes me a "Sniper"

really a good durable case and made in the USA

thats my .02

see if natchez has any more eagle db's left on sale. I currently have a few starlight cases, they are tough as nails, honestly they stay in the basement most of the time. I have been running a Tac Ops DB, it has not let me down one bit, I run the eagle scope/crown cover usually as well, just a little over precautious . I recently bought an Eagle HSRC, and their normal DB, they seem good to go, and the price was right. If they weren't marked down almost 50% i would have bought another Tac Op's though.

GL in your search

EDIT:

It looks like they have kahaki and black Drag bags, and black HSRC's in stock still.
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?con...prodTitle=Eagle Sniper Drag Bag
Kahaki

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?con...prodTitle=Eagle Sniper Drag Bag Black

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?con...prodTitle=Eagle Hybrid Sniper Rifle Case Black

yeah i dont know why Natchez was selling the Eagle case so cheap but i had to pounce on it. I am very glad i did

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike LasVegas</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are sending $400 worth of ammo monthly through your $5000 rifle and its not getting scratched up from use you are not getting the most out of your money.... </div></div>

If that's how you see it, it's cool. But I'm sure I'll get most of my money back if someday I have to get rid of my rifle...

</div></div>

Likewise.
I have yet to build or run a rifle with future resale value as a consideration, maybe I'm odd that way.

No offense intended and thank you for your service.

For flying I have a Kalispel gun case, to the range I prefer a simple drag bag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's a great deal

It looks like they have kahaki and black Drag bags, and black HSRC's in stock still.
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?con...prodTitle=Eagle Sniper Drag Bag
Kahaki

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?con...prodTitle=Eagle Sniper Drag Bag Black

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?con...prodTitle=Eagle Hybrid Sniper Rifle Case Black </div></div>

Damn you guys, order placed for a khaki.
blush.gif

Will that Eagle drag bag fit my 24" barrel FN SPR in a Manners T4A? The picture on Natchez's shows it holding a collapsed M4 with only a little room to spare...

Pelican for travel. Plastic grocery bag for range visits. J/k. I use scope and crown covers only for trips to the range.

The guy I bought my EDM M96 Windrunner from had it in an SKB case. Very well built and seems like a tank, but it wasn't wide enough and the foam protection of the scope turrets left a good bit to be desired. So my local store had a sale on a long Boyt case for 129.95 (http://www.boytharness.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31_111&products_id=484). This case is a beast. Plenty of room for my gun broken down with plenty of cushioning. I even have enough room to cut out a couple of spots for my 1911 and shooting books. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about putting 8-9k worth of firearms in the Boyt on an airplane. Also, I have my .308 in a Pelican 1750 and that has taken a good bit of abuse in the back of my truck on some bumpy backroads.

Summary: SKB and Boyt are excellent cases, but the Boyt fits what I need better.