• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What rifle for decked box in truck for shtf

a1-equipment

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2007
Salem VA
Finall got a decked box for my truck, one of the drawers I want to keep a rifle permanently as a shtf. The decked box are water proof but get dust/mist in them depending on weather. I haven’t bought new semi in a few years not sure who the top rigs are now a days

Suggestions for an ultra reliable/ function.
Open to all platforms. Prefer 223 or 308z

Can you fit a pelican case in the drawer to keep moisture and dust off the rifle? I’d definitely recommend that or nothing is going to be very reliable in the elements full time. You’re gonna get 100 opinions to your answer so I’ll not add another recommendation besides be proficient with whatever you pick.

Finall got a decked box for my truck, one of the drawers I want to keep a rifle permanently as a shtf. The decked box are water proof but get dust/mist in them depending on weather. I haven’t bought new semi in a few years not sure who the top rigs are now a days

Suggestions for an ultra reliable/ function.
Open to all platforms. Prefer 223 or 308z
how does a waterproof container get dust/mist in? I've never heard of that

This is what I got. Also have the rifle holders

So back to Rutgers point, seems you may have a lemon if dust and moisture are getting in after reading the websites claim. Or they’re FOS. Either way, that’s a lot of money if it doesn’t work as advertised.
IMG_0119.jpeg

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Buy whatever rifle you want to put away and not use unless SHTF. Shoot it and get it zeroed. Clean it and lube it real good. Use THIS STUFF. Then put it in a vacuum seal bag with ONE OF THESE. Add a couple of mostly loaded magazines and maybe some spare rounds. Seal it up and stow it away. Realize that the bag will wear and leak if you do not have it padded.

I would suggest the OP e-mail the manufacturer and see how the dust and mist can get in ? IE... Is it sealed 100% when closed ? ... and is the dust and mist getting in how ? ( While it is open ? )
I realize that sounds stupid, but welcome to 2023.
"IF" it is sealed 100% while not open... I would at the very least store the firearm in a VCI thick ( 4mil minimum ) plastic bag.
The draw back is... if moisture can get into the decked box, it WILL eventually get into the VCI Plastic bag.
https://www.zerustproducts.com/gun-...f-all-sizes-with-vci-firearm-protection-bags/
Some Desiccant packs "MIGHT" absorb the moisture... but ...
I would try some moisture Humidity Indicating Cards (H.I.C.) first, in the drawer.
https://midsouthpackaging.com/products/desiccant/

Until I knew the drawers will hold out the moisture ( mist ) .... I wouldn't feel comfortable storing a firearm in them.
Even with the suggested VCI stuff and desiccants... moisture is moisture.

Heck... if you can find one of these....you might consider using that inside the drawer with the VCI and desiccants inside it.
https://www.cleanammocans.com/pa154-120mm-mortar-surplus-ammo-can.html

To answer the OP's firearm brand choice... BCM comes to mind for reliable. ( Look up the Filthy 14 )
However... if the "Mist" is there in the drawers... any brand will rust.

Sorry for the thread drift, and just my 2 cents.

Get a PSA and keep it in this.
Put some silica packages in with it. should have enough room for some loaded mags.

Right now is a great time to get a bcm, check out their blem sale and free bcg promo.

Reactions: LRRPF52
Stag has a deal going where you buy a rifle for like $1100 and you get a complete upper for free. They're good rifles and if you don't want the upper you can dump it quick for $400 and be $700 into the rifle. Or get another complete lower for $250ish and have two rifles for under $1400.

Personally I wouldn't keep a very expensive rifle in a decked box that anyone with a circular saw, dremel, or sawzall can cut wide open in a few minutes.

Reactions: bfoosh006
Why don’t you buy a nice gun and keep it in the cab of the truck? 🤔

If you’re keeping it in the box then buy a PSA. It will likely rust and if SHTF it’s in the bed of the truck anyways.

If stuff goes down and you don't have 15 seconds to stop your truck and get a rifle from the bed, then you have very unique problems in your immediate area.

Is there anybody in the civilian realm in the USA, other than perhaps ranchers along the southern border, who would need to have a rifle immediately accessible/deployable from the cab of a truck such that it is a matter of life or death?

He said he wants to store it in the bed in a decked box, he presumably knows his own expectation of his area of operations and scenarios he has run through in his mind. If he wanted to store a rifle in the cab he would presumably already be focused or thinking on that.

If stuff goes down and you don't have 15 seconds to stop your truck and get a rifle from the bed, then you have very unique problems in your immediate area.

Is there anybody in the civilian realm in the USA, other than perhaps ranchers along the southern border, who would need to have a rifle immediately accessible/deployable from the cab of a truck such that it is a matter of life or death?

He said he wants to store it in the bed in a decked box, he presumably knows his own expectation of his area of operations and scenarios he has run through in his mind. If he wanted to store a rifle in the cab he would presumably already be focused or thinking on that.
I guess everyone has their own scenarios or idea of what they may see or need in a SHTF situation

Example:

My thought is if your going down a busy Highway and encounter a active shooter/road rage incident or protest like we witnessed in the past years with traffic blocking and ripping people from their cars. No way out. No getting out of the vehicle etc

You could have a rifle in a case, passenger or rear seat, easy to reach where you could semi have it ready to go if needed.

Getting out and grabbing from the box. Especially if bagged up etc takes time. It also means you’re likely rolling with an uncased rifle into whatever situation lies ahead from that point on. If seen could trigger a reaction especially from LE if your seen loading up on the roadside

Again to each their own. Our patrol cars have them accessible from the drivers seat. Could literally shoot through the windshield if you absolutely needed without the need to stop the vehicle

I know some who carry handguns unloaded, locked in a box or glove compartment. Personally mine is on me or east to reach/loaded in the passenger compartment for the same reasons.

Rifle rides in the passenger compartment as well with the batteries on the red dot a flashlight checked often.

My idea of SHTF is immediately needing it. Carjacking/active shooter that you roll into/road rage type incidents. Otherwise you could simply stop, turn or otherwise try to avoid the situation altogether vs loading a rifle on the side of the road and driving into something you likely could have avoided

Last edited:
I guess everyone has their own scenarios or idea of what they may see or need in a SHTF situation

Example:

My thought is if your going down a busy Highway and encounter a active shooter/road rage incident or protest like we witnessed in the past years with traffic blocking and ripping people from their cars. No way out. No getting out of the vehicle etc

You could have a rifle in a case, passenger or rear seat, easy to reach where you could semi have it ready to go if needed.

Getting out and grabbing from the box. Especially if bagged up etc takes time. It also means you’re likely rolling with an uncased rifle into whatever situation lies ahead from that point on. If seen could trigger a reaction especially from LE if your seen loading up on the roadside

Again to each their own. Our patrol cars have them accessible from the drivers seat. Could literally shoot through the windshield if you absolutely needed without the need to stop the vehicle

I know some who carry handguns unloaded, locked in a box or glove compartment. Personally mine is on me or east to reach/loaded in the passenger compartment for the same reasons.

Rifle rides in the passenger compartment as well with the batteries on the red dot a flashlight checked often.

My idea of SHTF is immediately needing it. Carjacking/active shooter that you roll into/road rage type incidents. Otherwise you could simply stop, turn or otherwise try to avoid the situation altogether vs loading a rifle on the side of the road and driving into something you likely could have avoided

I have a pistol on my person and six magazines accessible in the cab of my truck. I also have a plate carrier behind my seat, a ballistic helmet behind my seat, and a pair of electronic earplugs in the center console. I also have a secondary [loaded] pistol [Colt Detective Special] with eight reloads.

The likelihood that I happen to be at the epicenter of a decisive "SHTF" event as it is unfolding, that requires immediate access to a rifle on 3 seconds notice or else I am going to die because the stuff I have at hand is insufficient to deal with the threat, is vanishingly small and in my calculation it does not justify the obvious risk of theft of keeping a rifle readily accessible and displayed in the cab. Furthermore, in the era of Karens, it is far more likely some busy-body will call police and make me the focus of police attention because "I saw a rifle in his truck!" Granted, I do have a rifle in my truck, but it is out of sight and while not immediately accessible it is also not immediately visible.

On one occasion I deemed it necessary, proper, appropriate, and prudent, and worth the possible risk, to have a rifle on my passenger seat and that was when I was on an interstate highway about to pass through a major metro area during the George Floyd "mostly peaceful protest" riots of summer 2020, at which time I placed the rifle on the seat, covered it with a jacket, and proceeded on my voyage. That was once in my entire life when I imagined the possibility of not only needing a carbine but needing it on 3 seconds notice. That was the only major road that would take me home at that time.

If I encounter a road rage incident, as long as I can drive, I am driving away, not my family not my problem. I don't have qualified immunity and nobody pays me, my legal fees, or my medical bills, and I can throw my life away intervening in somebody else's road rage incident with a pistol just as easily as with a rifle, in short, I am not intervening. Active shooter? I may or may not intervene depending on the circumstances. Protests? If I know about them in advance I will modify my route to avoid them.

The key words you said was "patrol cars." Your job entails having immediate access to a rifle, you have qualified immunity, and you are actively responding to situations that may require you to immediately use your rifle upon arriving at the scene. I am not driving around responding to requests, calls, or looking to intervene in such situations. While I have trained to fire a carbine from inside of the cab of a vehicle and how to deploy a carbine in and around a vehicle, my concerns are more "99% of situations will have this rifle stolen before I ever get to use it, or it will result in a Karen calling police, less than 1 in 100,000 situations will require me to need this immediately available" so I store my rifle so it is out of sight, even at the expense of time.

Also, if you're in a car and there is "no way out" because of protests on the highway, it suggests dozens of cars are in front of you and you have time. If there are no cars in front of you, then why did you stop? Honestly, I'm not stopping for a mob that decides to get in front of my truck, if I cannot navigate back or to the side, I am going forward.

In a perfect world I would be fine with a rifle being in the cab, immediately accessible, but we don't live in a perfect world, in my perspective all having a rifle stored visibly in the cab of my truck will do is make me a target for thieves, Karens, and cops, groups I simply don't want to interact with and whose radar I don't want to be on.

I agree in spirit, theoretically that is, that a rifle in a cab is ideal. If the world goes Mad Max tomorrow and the roads are still somewhat open and navigable, I will have a suppressed PDW rifle on my passenger seat, but unless and until that happens, I am not going to have a rifle openly visible in the cab of my truck.

I have a pistol on my person and six magazines accessible in the cab of my truck. I also have a plate carrier behind my seat, a ballistic helmet behind my seat, and a pair of electronic earplugs in the center console. I also have a secondary [loaded] pistol [Colt Detective Special] with eight reloads.

The likelihood that I happen to be at the epicenter of a decisive "SHTF" event as it is unfolding, that requires immediate access to a rifle on 3 seconds notice or else I am going to die because the stuff I have at hand is insufficient to deal with the threat, is vanishingly small and in my calculation it does not justify the obvious risk of theft of keeping a rifle readily accessible and displayed in the cab. Furthermore, in the era of Karens, it is far more likely some busy-body will call police and make me the focus of police attention because "I saw a rifle in his truck!" Granted, I do have a rifle in my truck, but it is out of sight and while not immediately accessible it is also not immediately visible.

On one occasion I deemed it necessary, proper, appropriate, and prudent, and worth the possible risk, to have a rifle on my passenger seat and that was when I was on an interstate highway about to pass through a major metro area during the George Floyd "mostly peaceful protest" riots of summer 2020, at which time I placed the rifle on the seat, covered it with a jacket, and proceeded on my voyage. That was once in my entire life when I imagined the possibility of not only needing a carbine but needing it on 3 seconds notice. That was the only major road that would take me home at that time.

If I encounter a road rage incident, as long as I can drive, I am driving away, not my family not my problem. I don't have qualified immunity and nobody pays me, my legal fees, or my medical bills, and I can throw my life away intervening in somebody else's road rage incident with a pistol just as easily as with a rifle, in short, I am not intervening. Active shooter? I may or may not intervene depending on the circumstances. Protests? If I know about them in advance I will modify my route to avoid them.

The key words you said was "patrol cars." Your job entails having immediate access to a rifle, you have qualified immunity, and you are actively responding to situations that may require you to immediately use your rifle upon arriving at the scene. I am not driving around responding to requests, calls, or looking to intervene in such situations. While I have trained to fire a carbine from inside of the cab of a vehicle and how to deploy a carbine in and around a vehicle, my concerns are more "99% of situations will have this rifle stolen before I ever get to use it, or it will result in a Karen calling police, less than 1 in 100,000 situations will require me to need this immediately available" so I store my rifle so it is out of sight, even at the expense of time.

Also, if you're in a car and there is "no way out" because of protests on the highway, it suggests dozens of cars are in front of you and you have time. If there are no cars in front of you, then why did you stop? Honestly, I'm not stopping for a mob that decides to get in front of my truck, if I cannot navigate back or to the side, I am going forward.

In a perfect world I would be fine with a rifle being in the cab, immediately accessible, but we don't live in a perfect world, in my perspective all having a rifle stored visibly in the cab of my truck will do is make me a target for thieves, Karens, and cops, groups I simply don't want to interact with and whose radar I don't want to be on.

I agree in spirit, theoretically that is, that a rifle in a cab is ideal. If the world goes Mad Max tomorrow and the roads are still somewhat open and navigable, I will have a suppressed PDW rifle on my passenger seat, but unless and until that happens, I am not going to have a rifle openly visible in the cab of my truck.
I would not carry a rifle exposed in the cab. In a discreet case is my preference. I live in an area where everyone carry’s guns. Mainly hunting but this isn’t a city area where your vehicle is broken into on a weekly basis

Just because it’s in the cab or the box doesn’t make it any less protected from theft. If someone wants in they’ll get in. Many times guns aren’t what they’re looking for. It’s kids or meth heads looking for a quick payday. In those areas I’d suggest not leaving weapons in your vehicle. Tools are targeted far more than weapons. A truck box is a great area to find tools

The trick imho to properly carrying for SHTF is quick access if needed and carrying weapons in a way where nobody knows

Reactions: LawTalker

On one occasion I deemed it necessary, proper, appropriate, and prudent, and worth the possible risk, to have a rifle on my passenger seat and that was when I was on an interstate highway about to pass through a major metro area during the George Floyd "mostly peaceful protest" riots of summer 2020, at which time I placed the rifle on the seat, covered it with a jacket, and proceeded on my voyage. That was once in my entire life when I imagined the possibility of not only needing a carbine but needing it on 3 seconds notice. That was the only major road that would take me home at

You contradicted yourself glowie.

In this day and age crazy shit can happen in a moments notice and I can absolutely understand why someone that’s not a LEO might want to have immediate access to a rifle and it’s well within their 2A rights to do so if they choose.

Per your own statement you carry a lot of shit in your passenger compartment like a plate carrier that you’d never be able to get on inside the vehicle in a quick moment while accessing a rifle and using it may be completely possible. So don’t judge what others choose to have accessible to protect themselves while you’re rolling around with full mall ninja gear.

Every time I think about rolling with a "truck gun", I talk myself out of it. I've got a glock clone with a nice red dot and 15 rnd mag in a quick access safe in the front of my truck. (from the driver's seat, I can open the safe and have the loaded gun, ready to fire, in less than 3 seconds) I also have under the back seat: a pistol holster, three (3) 33 round loaded glock mags, a med kit, an old OD green waterproof coat, old waterproof hiking shoes, old tan colored pants, socks, binos, knife and a small string backpack. I can change clothes & shoes, get my shit and unass an area in just a couple minutes. If I'm wearing the coat, the pistol is concealed. The whole setup is grey man as can be.

This is basically for suburbia. I can make good shots out past 75 yards with my glock clone (I've practiced it) if I had to. The plan is to not engage anyone, but do evasion until I can get to where I need to be if I'm on foot.

YMMV...

-ZA

Example:

FWIW....

https://discretedefensesolutions.com/shop/vehicle-accessories/ar15-truck-console-mount/

You contradicted yourself glowie.

In this day and age crazy shit can happen in a moments notice and I can absolutely understand why someone that’s not a LEO might want to have immediate access to a rifle and it’s well within their 2A rights to do so if they choose.

Per your own statement you carry a lot of shit in your passenger compartment like a plate carrier that you’d never be able to get on inside the vehicle in a quick moment while accessing a rifle and using it may be completely possible. So don’t judge what others choose to have accessible to protect themselves while you’re rolling around with full mall ninja gear.

How did I contradict myself exactly?

I didn't say, "I carry all of this so I can access it in a matter of seconds." Show me where I said, "I plan to put all of this gear on in seconds from inside my truck." I carry it inside my truck so I have it if I need it, I didn't say it was going to be donned in seconds, it is a process to put it on.

Also, I can put the plate carrier on in about 15 seconds, although it requires exiting the vehicle and retrieving it and putting it on while outside of the vehicle. In the realm of responding to a situation, that is fairly fast. The ear plugs and helmet can be put on from within the vehicle, and the reason I carry ear plugs is because if I see something developing ahead of my vehicle, say 8-12 cars away, I am going to put electronic ear plugs on before going to address.

As for the "full mall ninja gear" remark, well I'll just roll my eyes and move on from that statement.

I don't know you, I don't know who the hell you are, and I don't know why you felt the need to open with a "glowie" jab, but that is your call.

In your first reply you basically said there's really no reason for someone to have a rifle inside their vehicle, then in your next you stated you had and gave a good reason. You contradicted yourself.

A blatant mischaracterization of what I said, but sure, why not, believe as you like.

I said "very unique problems."

I then went on to come up with the ONE TIME IN MY ENTIRE LIFE where I calculated I would benefit from having a rifle immediately accessible.

There is no contradiction.

Stating you will likely never need a rifle immediately accessible and would have "very unique problems" to need such a rifle, and then coming up with ONE EXAMPLE in a lifetime, actually it is in keeping with the assertion that the situation is extremely rare.

I prioritize my skinny pedal on the right and defensive driver training.

There are few likely situations in a law abiding civilian context where the car is not the solution.

-Stan

Reactions: LawTalker
I would not carry a rifle exposed in the cab. In a discreet case is my preference. I live in an area where everyone carry’s guns. Mainly hunting but this isn’t a city area where your vehicle is broken into on a weekly basis

Just because it’s in the cab or the box doesn’t make it any less protected from theft. If someone wants in they’ll get in. Many times guns aren’t what they’re looking for. It’s kids or meth heads looking for a quick payday. In those areas I’d suggest not leaving weapons in your vehicle. Tools are targeted far more than weapons. A truck box is a great area to find tools

The trick imho to properly carrying for SHTF is quick access if needed and carrying weapons in a way where nobody knows

My truck rifle is not readily accessible without stopping the vehicle, moving things around, and doing some digging. It actually is in the cab of the vehicle but it is in a compartment under the seat so it is completely out of sight, but in a manner better than the bed [which is probably less secure]. In order to get access to my rifle I have to stop and get out or the passenger has to reach back and maneuver things around and fold the back seats forward, either way works. My rifle is fairly secure from casual observer "smash and grab" theft via somebody who knocks out a window, grabs a bag and a GPS and runs off, it simply cannot be seen and it is in a compartment under the seat.

It isn't kept for "immediate prompt access" which I have always calculated to be "extremely unlikely and unnecessary" but rather for "away from home access, anticipated access" meaning, my general principle is, "I am unlikely to ever need immediate access to a rifle while driving, in the event I am out and about and anticipate that this need may arise down the road, I will stop, maneuver the rifle out of the compartment to the seat next to me, and continue on" or "in the event trouble is cracking off 300 yards down the road with cars being blocked on the highway and I cannot maneuver to go back the way I came, I will stop, access the rifle and magazines, and proceed from there." It is there in case I need it, but I have never anticipated there would be a situation where I need it on 2 seconds notice and the situation/scenario just occurs without any sort of advanced indication of "I am driving into a very dicey situation and now is the time to stage this in a more accessible way." I truly do not anticipate sitting in traffic as World War Z unfolds around me and I have a moment of "oh well this is great, why didn't I decide to live with my rifle staged next to my seat, oh well, this is it for me."

I doubt any civilian in the USA is ever going to die because their carbine wasn't accessible in their car/truck on 2 second's notice, at least not in the near future, unless things get tremendously bad, bad to the level of you want to wear a plate carrier while driving and only be in a convoy.

BLM riots and such do tend to telegraph themselves in various ways, if you're planning to drive through a city with an ongoing riot, consider yourself on notice, "manure could get real today."

I do know a few people who have had tools stolen from beds, but I also know more people who had windows busted and the immediately visible contents of the cab [i.e. GPS, cell phone, briefcase, etc] stolen.

I prioritize my skinny pedal on the right and defensive driver training.

There are few likely situations in a law abiding civilian context where the car is not the solution.

-Stan

There are very few [people] problems in a road that cannot be solved by continuing forward and over/into the problem.

If a lethal force encounter involves the person who presents an imminent threat of death or serious bodily harm being in front of your vehicle, if you're justified using a firearm you're theoretically justified running over said imminent threat.

If somebody is 50 feet in front of my truck shooting a pistol at my windshield, it is a hell of a lot easier and quicker for me to smash the gas pedal down, than to try to maneuver, shoot through my own windshield, or stop, bail out, go to cover, if they think positioning themselves directly in front of a vehicle is a good idea, well then they slept through high school physics and never took college physics.

Reactions: stanley_white
Colt 6920 with an aimpoint.

Not a bad choice, reliable rifle, reliable optic, relatively inexpensive, if it is stolen it isn't the end of the world, it can be fairly easily replaced. The Colt 6920 is actually what I have in my truck as my truck carbine.

If I was inclined to keep a rifle within easy reach in a truck I'd try to find something like the Vertx VTAC rifle scabbard that mounts behind the passenger seat. It's going to have to be something like Jihadi Day for me to think I can get away with launching rifle rounds. If I can't run them over or deal with a pistol, I probably should've taken a different route.

If I feel safe enough to exit the vehicle and retrieve a rifle, I’m safe enough not to need the rifle. If, however, I find myself in a driving situation where I need a rifle, I want it accessible from a driving position.

If I feel safe enough to exit the vehicle and retrieve a rifle, I’m safe enough not to need the rifle. If, however, I find myself in a driving situation where I need a rifle, I want it accessible from a driving position.

Probably correct for most instances, however, there can always be a situation of "trouble ahead that cannot be avoided, and is coming your way" but it isn't on you immediately. Say, the road is blocked 400 yards ahead, and for whatever reason, you cannot turn around/maneuver, drive back the way you came.

Probably correct for most instances, however, there can always be a situation of "trouble ahead that cannot be avoided, and is coming your way" but it isn't on you immediately. Say, the road is blocked 400 yards ahead, and for whatever reason, you cannot turn around/maneuver, drive back the way you came.
First of all, how does that happen?
Second, what is your plan going forward in that situation?

First of all, how does that happen?
Second, what is your plan going forward in that situation?

You're on an interstate highway, several miles from the next exit, not near a center/median turn-around, perhaps there are barriers on the median. Turning around or crossing the median isn't an option.

Traffic has completely stopped, because 400 yards ahead, 20-30 [or more] BLM/antifa are blocking the road. They appear to be throwing bricks and bottles at cars. There are now more cars arriving immediately behind you, thus you cannot just go in reverse.

They aren't immediately on you, there are some way off, but 400 yards isn't that far off. You cannot just drive away. If you want to leave, you need to leave on foot. They might be coming your way in the next 5-10 minutes, perhaps sooner.

If you have a rifle in your truck, it may or may not be the time to get it and do something with it, or at least bring it with you.

I normally wear an L or XL shirt or vest/jacket, I happen to have an XXXL vest in my truck solely to conceal/cover my plate carrier and a rifle slung across my chest or slung African carry, so I can have a plate carrier and a rifle if I have to leave a bad situation on foot, and it isn't immediately obvious from sight, "hey that guy is wearing a plate carrier and has a rifle." Casual observers/bystanders wouldn't notice, most people barely nothing anything that isn't on their tablet/phone in front of their face.

My preferred plan would be to simply be mindful and observant of developments in the area and have the presence of mind and foresight to avoid being on that stretch of interstate during the midst of such an event. Although, predicting where a flash mob riot is going to emerge is something of an art, I don't have it down to a science.

You're on an interstate highway, several miles from the next exit, not near a center/median turn-around, perhaps there are barriers on the median. Turning around or crossing the median isn't an option.

Traffic has completely stopped, because 400 yards ahead, 20-30 [or more] BLM/antifa are blocking the road. They appear to be throwing bricks and bottles at cars. There are now more cars arriving immediately behind you, thus you cannot just go in reverse.

They aren't immediately on you, there are some way off, but 400 yards isn't that far off. You cannot just drive away. If you want to leave, you need to leave on foot. They might be coming your way in the next 5-10 minutes, perhaps sooner.

If you have a rifle in your truck, it may or may not be the time to get it and do something with it, or at least bring it with you.

I normally wear an L or XL shirt or vest/jacket, I happen to have an XXXL vest in my truck solely to conceal/cover my plate carrier and a rifle slung across my chest or slung African carry, so I can have a plate carrier and a rifle if I have to leave a bad situation on foot, and it isn't immediately obvious from sight, "hey that guy is wearing a plate carrier and has a rifle." Casual observers/bystanders wouldn't notice, most people barely nothing anything that isn't on their tablet/phone in front of their face.

My preferred plan would be to simply be mindful and observant of developments in the area and have the presence of mind and foresight to avoid being on that stretch of interstate during the midst of such an event. Although, predicting where a flash mob riot is going to emerge is something of an art, I don't have it down to a science.
Literally the scenario I played for you above. Only in my world nobody realizes I’m armed to the gills.

Your scenario you get out of the truck, into whatever riot/swat gear you have in your backseat, then proceed to load an AR and proceed toward the mob

The idea of SHTF perfection is nobody ever knows you’re prepared and you can access and use it without alarm

If you load your AR15 in the middle of I90, with a ballistic vest, drive towards a group of people and guess what….

Someone else will become the hero….

Literally the scenario I played for you above. Only in my world nobody realizes I’m armed to the gills.

Your scenario you get out of the truck, into whatever riot/swat gear you have in your backseat, then proceed to load an AR and proceed toward the mob

The idea of SHTF perfection is nobody ever knows you’re prepared and you can access and use it without alarm

If you load your AR15 in the middle of I90, with a ballistic vest, drive towards a group of people and guess what….

Someone else will become the hero….

You said "proceed towards the mob." I *never* said that. I specifically wrote, "if I have to leave a bad situation on foot." I never said, "proceed towards the mob." I was fairly clear, perhaps not clear enough, arm up with what you might need, and then get the hell out, on foot, the rifle is in the event you're not able to get out or in the event this disturbance is happening on a wider basis then just in front of your car on the highway.

I'm talking about leaving the situation on foot, you're twisting this and claiming I said "proceed towards the mob" as though I said that, when I absolutely did not say that or even imply that. I specifically said "leave the bad situation."

I said get out on foot, with a vest concealing your carrier and rifle. As in, be armed, and be protected, but be inconspicuous and get away without being seen. I specifically mentioned low-profile.

You said "proceed towards the mob." I *never* said that. I specifically wrote, "if I have to leave a bad situation on foot." I never said, "proceed towards the mob." I was fairly clear, perhaps not clear enough, arm up with what you might need, and then get the hell out, on foot, the rifle is in the event you're not able to get out or in the event this disturbance is happening on a wider basis then just in front of your car on the highway.

I'm talking about leaving the situation on foot, you're twisting this and claiming I said "proceed towards the mob" as though I said that, when I absolutely did not say that or even imply that. I specifically said "leave the bad situation."

I said get out on foot, with a vest concealing your carrier and rifle. As in, be armed, and be protected, but be inconspicuous and get away without being seen. I specifically mentioned low-profile.
Good luck inconspicuously loading up and putting on your plate carrier

I’m just guessing by your post you don’t have a family? Or at least not one with you in this “drive ahead or flee on foot” scenario

Good luck inconspicuously loading up and putting on your plate carrier

I’m just guessing by your post you don’t have a family? Or at least not one with you in this “drive ahead or flee on foot” scenario

I can actually get the carrier on from inside the cab, but with about 2-3x more time. Thanks though.

You pointedly didn't address the fact that you [falsely] attributed statements to me, claiming I said something that I clearly did not claim/write, and now that I called attention to that, you have tried to change the subject instead of acknowledging/owning up to what transpired.

I am not going to participate in this line of discussion.

I have the decked system, and they make a rack to hold rifles or shotguns. Mine holds a carbine and a shotgun. The shotgun is a mossberg 940 Turkey with a Holosun 507K green. Check it out.

May change the shotgun to a Maverick 88 security because it’s reliable, cheap, and if someone did defeat my security, I’m not out a lot.

Mine are in black garbage bags to keep the grime out and so they are less obvious.

Don’t over think this.

Last edited:
So back to Rutgers point, seems you may have a lemon if dust and moisture are getting in after reading the websites claim. Or they’re FOS. Either way, that’s a lot of money if it doesn’t work as advertised.

Marketing.

It's "weatherproof" meaning rain can't directly fall on whatever is in it.

But it's not vacuum sealed.

Temperature and pressure differential between the inside of the container and the outside will cause air and whatever is in the air to exchange between the inside and the outside pushing air out when the inside of the container is warmer or under more pressure than the outside and sucking in dirty and moisture when the inside of the container cools and is under less pressure than the outside.

The truck cab will do the same thing but at least with the truck cab sometimes the A/C gets run and dehumidifies the content of the cab keeping it from getting musty or smelling worse than whatever breakfast pastry is under the seat.

It's just a big rubbermaid tub with a lock.

I like having a pump 12ga under my truck's back seat with a shell belt with 50/50 slug and control flight OObuck.

I can hit a full-size humanoid target at 100yds from a rested position with slugs.

I figure if the threat is still serious and is beyond 100yds.....I'm proper fucked anyway regardless of weapon I have.

I like the idea of a budget pump (pick your poison) for reliability, no electronics, and general lack of caring about its condition.

Lets face it......if hoodrats can kill each other with 380s and Somali technique.....we shouldn't have too much difficulty defending ourselves. Ever go to a public indoor shooting range and looked at average results.....nuff said.

Ern

Not a bad choice, reliable rifle, reliable optic, relatively inexpensive, if it is stolen it isn't the end of the world, it can be fairly easily replaced. The Colt 6920 is actually what I have in my truck as my truck carbine.
Gov issued?

I kid I kid

I assume it’s something to keep in the truck in case you’re away from your regular gear, and something happens that preclides you returning to get that gear…. Backup weapon(s), but good backups. Bottom line is that the right answer depends on how much you want to spend.

Whatever you choose, if you’re not taking it out and cleaning/lubing/inspecting it regularly, it needs to be stored appropriately; a lot of options in that regard. What about ammo, mags, a sling…lights? Batteries?

Re: something inside the cab…. My preferred ‘truck gun’ is whatever ’m taking to the range or the ranch that day…. If travelling, usually a PCC chambered in whatever I’m carrying on my belt, preferably one that uses the same magazines.

Gov issued?

I kid I kid
If the government has begun issuing rifles to lawyers then I am really missing out on an opportunity to cash in on some program that for some reason I haven't previously learned about.

I wish the government issued lawyers rifles. The only thing I get issued are notices that various state supreme courts want their annual bar dues.

That green stuff between the highway and the frontage road is NOT lava.

I generally agree, and advocate for being willing to drive through grass, across a median, up on a sidewalk, on the wrong side of the road, down an alley, down the wrong-way of a one-way street, etc. But it always depends on where you are. If you're on the interstate going through St. Louis, that likely isn't an option.

It was one of the reasons I missed out on summer 2020 training in an academy in a western state I wanted to do more training at. The owner had senior instructors getting call-outs, most of his regular students had call-outs, and I simply said, "I don't even really want to drive to your place right now because I have to go pretty much through St. Louis and a mob could move on foot from downtown St. Louis to block the interstate in a matter of minutes with no advance notice and then there is nowhere to go, you're just boxed in with concrete barriers all around and a river at your back." He had a wave of class cancellations in late spring and early summer 2020.

The ability to "simply drive away" is always going to be location dependent. Always know your location and what as much as you can about the conditions and likely threats. If you can drive away, then by all means, drive away, you're almost always going to be better off driving away if that option is available. Even if you have to cross a median, you're likely better off driving away. It should go without saying, but I'll say it, don't cause a head-on collision trying to drive away, if you're driving across the median, be smart about it.

That green stuff between the highway and the frontage road is NOT lava.
Nor is the breakdown lane likely to be blocked in the event of no frontage road. I'd be getting a ticket for driving through a fence to get to the last crossroad.

Come on you guys! Nobody mentioned the tailgate!!!
Buy a truck that has a reliable tailgate latch so you can access the decked drawers. 😂