• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What rifle scope has the best low light performance?

I’m looking for a scope that has the best low light transmission/performance for hunting. Requirements are 15-20x maximum power, 50mm objective minimum, illuminated reticle with holdover points, adjustable elevation turret all under 30-32 oz! I’ve got a Zeiss V6 3-18x50 that does pretty good, 92% light transmission but no illumination. I prefer either center illumination or open center crosshairs. So far I’m kicking around a few scopes that I can think of, Schmidt and Bender T96 Polar 4-16x56 P4 fine crosshairs, Khales 318i, Zeiss Conquest V6 3-18x50 and the new Steiner scopes. I’m sure there are a few others I’m missing, please feel free to add on some others and comment on the ones I’ve mentioned.

Best light transmission I’d lean towards a Zeiss HT (95%) with illuminated Reticle but it’s got a duplex reticle and max is only 3-12...... sooooo disregard.

Carry on...

I’m looking for a scope that has the best low light transmission/performance for hunting. Requirements are 15-20x maximum power, 50mm objective minimum, illuminated reticle with holdover points, adjustable elevation turret all under 30-32 oz! I’ve got a Zeiss V6 3-18x50 that does pretty good, 92% light transmission but no illumination. I prefer either center illumination or open center crosshairs. So far I’m kicking around a few scopes that I can think of, Schmidt and Bender T96 Polar 4-16x56 P4 fine crosshairs, Khales 318i, Zeiss Conquest V6 3-18x50 and the new Steiner scopes. I’m sure there are a few others I’m missing, please feel free to add on some others and comment on the ones I’ve mentioned.

How about a Leupold MK5 3.6-18x50 Illuminated? Great glass, Light, capped windage, multiple reticles, FFP, MIL/ MIL or MOA/MOA, basically meets all your requirements. They also have a 5.5-25 of your needing more Mag, but it does obviously increases the length and weight.

Reactions: Concrete shooter
Honestly the best newer scope out there in terms of lowlight discounting the Henny 72mm is the Zeiss V8 7-35x60mm. All my hunter friends swear by that scope for lowlight, but it's almost impossible to use in a tactical application. Not only does it have 40 moa total elevation, it has a zero stop system that limites the turret to 1 turn. Also .05 mrad clicks and a SFP only. Don't know why Zeiss blocked themselves off the market completely with that beautiful 60mm objective but they apparently wanted nothing to do with tactical or target people.

Honestly the best newer scope out there in terms of lowlight discounting the Henny 72mm is the Zeiss V8 7-35x60mm. All my hunter friends swear by that scope for lowlight, but it's almost impossible to use in a tactical application. Not only does it have 40 moa total elevation, it has a zero stop system that limites the turret to 1 turn. Also .05 mrad clicks and a SFP only. Don't know why Zeiss blocked themselves off the market completely with that beautiful 60mm objective but they apparently wanted nothing to do with tactical or target people.

Guess they figured Hensolt had that end of the market covered, same as Swarovski and Khales. Seems that Zeiss / Swarovski take care of the hunting end of the spectrum and Hensolt / Khales have the tactical side.

I do agree with you. Zeiss glass and it’s light transmission is incredible. I have a set of their Gen 2 Victory 10x42 RF’s and am amazed by not only the quality of the glass, but the performance of the RF as well.

Last edited:
Best light transmission I’d lean towards a Zeiss HT (95%) with illuminated Reticle but it’s got a duplex reticle and max is only 3-12...... sooooo disregard.

Carry on...

The illuminated reticle (#60) is a 4A. They do make a duplex but it's illuminated.

-Stooxie

Great thread,,, I am also seeking such a scope. The Polar has my attention but so does the Swaro X5i, anyone have any insight on how the X5i does for low light situations in the field?
The X5i has excellent low light performance. I prefer the 3.5x18x50 over the 5x25x56 because even though it has a smaller objective lens, it seems brighter to me. I also have a 2.3x18x56 Z8i which is supposed to have greater light transmission but still prefer the X5i because of the turrets, reticle and illumination. The X5i has 10 levels of illumination and the Z8i has 64. I hunt whitetails 85 days yearly and the X5i has been the best for me out of any that I have seen. Gary

Exactly...no TT, no Hensoldt, no S&B Polar, no Leica Magnus, no Swaro z8i, no Zeiss v8 or victory HT, no Minox zp5, etc. Seemed like a mid range glass test described as alpha.

You’re right. He didn’t do a review of every single “Alpha” level scope currently on the market.

I look forward to seeing that review whenever it happens..........

Exactly...no TT, no Hensoldt, no S&B Polar, no Leica Magnus, no Swaro z8i, no Zeiss v8 or victory HT, no Minox zp5, etc. Seemed like a mid range glass test described as alpha.

Oh, ok.

Maybe people have a different version of alpha. I've owned and currently ownquite a few of those scopes that you've mentioned. While I do agree that some are better than others, most of them compare nicely. I'd hardly call an ATACR, Swaro, or AMG mid range.

Reactions: HogsLife
I guess I consider alpha the best of the best, absolute top tier...From what’s I’ve seen, I wouldn’t consider an ATACR 525 or an AMG top tier on glass quality, let alone a huskemaw or nxs. Never owned a March, can’t speak on those.

Reactions: lancetkenyon
Spend your money and buy a thermal. You will be surprised when it becomes the most used scope in the safe.

Attachments

• flir image.png
    flir image.png
    367.6 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: spife7980
A Hensoldt 4-16x56 would fit the bill, about 31 ounces, ffp, superb illuminated reticle, absolutely no bleed you can find them used for less than 2 with the nh1 reticle, new reasonably priced because of the soaring trend towards higher mag.

Reactions: Graywolf.260