• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What rifle setup did you bring to Mammoth Sniper Challenge?

I shot it in 2017, finished tough man division.

I ran a 700 in a Magpul Hunter stock, with a black hole weaponry 22 inch medium palma 6.5 barrel (this is before everyone and their mom was making factory 6.5s). My partner ran a BCM stainless 16 inch upper. We both ran Primary Arms scopes. He's an ultralight backpacker, our pack weights were around 45 ea including guns, ammo, etc. This was the year it was below zero or single digits most of the time and was at Rockcastle. I haven't been able to get back due to kids, work, injuries etc, but maybe one day.

We didn't shoot the best...but we made all the rucks. I definitely don't think our gear held us back. Conditions, weather, exhaustion, dehydration did. Hope this is helpful.

Krg sotic:
22” trg profile 6.5 creed
Bravo stock for weight
Minox zp5 in spuhr mount
Weighed about 14 lbs
Home built Ar15:
16” .223 wylde barrel
Bunch of shit that wasn’t needed
Razor gen 2
Weighed about 13 lbs

Next year probably run two bolt guns about the same weight as above, 6.5 creed and .223 more than likely.

I shot it in 2017, finished tough man division.

I ran a 700 in a Magpul Hunter stock, with a black hole weaponry 22 inch medium palma 6.5 barrel (this is before everyone and their mom was making factory 6.5s). My partner ran a BCM stainless 16 inch upper. We both ran Primary Arms scopes. He's an ultralight backpacker, our pack weights were around 45 ea including guns, ammo, etc. This was the year it was below zero or single digits most of the time and was at Rockcastle. I haven't been able to get back due to kids, work, injuries etc, but maybe one day.

We didn't shoot the best...but we made all the rucks. I definitely don't think our gear held us back. Conditions, weather, exhaustion, dehydration did. Hope this is helpful.

That’s awesome you made all the rucks! Thanks

Krg sotic:
22” trg profile 6.5 creed
Bravo stock for weight
Minox zp5 in spuhr mount
Weighed about 14 lbs
Home built Ar15:
16” .223 wylde barrel
Bunch of shit that wasn’t needed
Razor gen 2
Weighed about 13 lbs

Next year probably run two bolt guns about the same weight as above, 6.5 creed and .223 more than likely.

So gonna use the 6.5 for the longer shots and the .223 for the medium distance shots? What distance are you planning to use the .223 for?

IMG_6292.JPG

MDT LSS XL stocks
kelbly atlas actions
burris xtr3
ckyepod
my 6br has a 24" med palma
parter 223 is 18" (grn rifle)

both right at 14 lbs with bipod.

GL
DT

I was secondary, my partner was primary in toughman division.
My setup weighed ~19#
Impact 737
26" M24 Bartlein chambered in 308 with APA gen 3 LB brake
MDT ACC (weights and quick adjust hardware removed)
Atlas CAL with RRS BT Pro
MDT 12 round mags + 419 extensions
Minox ZP5 in Seekins Rings
Shooting 175 Hybrids @ 2760
Pistol: Walther PPQ 5"
Partners Setup weighed ~ 12lb:
Mac Bros TI
25" Proof Carbon chambered in 22 Creed
Manners Carbon stock running AW mags
Harris Bipod
Nightforce NX8 in NF ultralight rings
Shooting 95smks @ 3140
Pistol: Shadow Systems G19
I went out at about 60# and he started at about 55#
For reference, we were each 10+ lbs heavier for Bushnell this year due to weather, more ammo, and each running our own tent.

I was secondary, my partner was primary in toughman division.
My setup weighed ~19#
Impact 737
26" M24 Bartlein chambered in 308 with APA gen 3 LB brake
MDT ACC (weights and quick adjust hardware removed)
Atlas CAL with RRS BT Pro
MDT 12 round mags + 419 extensions
Minox ZP5 in Seekins Rings
Shooting 175 Hybrids @ 2760
Pistol: Walther PPQ 5"
Partners Setup weighed ~ 12lb:
Mac Bros TI
25" Proof Carbon chambered in 22 Creed
Manners Carbon stock running AW mags
Harris Bipod
Nightforce NX8 in NF ultralight rings
Shooting 95smks @ 3140
Pistol: Shadow Systems G19
I went out at about 60# and he started at about 55#
For reference, we were each 10+ lbs heavier for Bushnell this year due to weather, more ammo, and each running our own tent.

Nice! Were you able to see your impacts pretty well with with the brake on the heavier setup?

Nice! Were you able to see your impacts pretty well with with the brake on the heavier setup?
Yes, it was a pleasure to shoot. But the reason for the weight was balance. I love the ACC chassis and wanted to run that, so I went as light as I could on the chassis while still getting the rifle to more or less balance how I wanted it to.
I went with 308 over 223 because I didn;'t have a 223 bolt on hand. You definitely could run 223 and 75 ELDMs (i think these were popular) and save quite a bit of weight in ammo.
Next year my partner and I will also be running SS G19s (makes swapping mags/parts easy if you have to, and saves 1/2 lb over my Walther)

So just curious what caliber are most primary shooters running? I am planning on shooting and have the action ready but am having trouble deciding on what caliber to get. Just curious what people run at the mammoth

Thanks for the pic, sweet rigs. Did you see any .30 calibers in the competition?

Sorry its so late. Dont know how I missed the question.

There were a few 308's I saw. Was always shocked as the weight of the ammo alone would be a strong reason to pass...and the redic BC of the 75's pretty much make it a moot pt ballistically.

So just curious what caliber are most primary shooters running? I am planning on shooting and have the action ready but am having trouble deciding on what caliber to get. Just curious what people run at the mammoth

I saw everything from 6BR to 300WM. I would take what ever you are most familiar with and is shooting the best for you.

Some 6 or 6.5 variant would be ideal. 6.5 creed if you want factory ammo. 6x47 or 6.5x47 if you load.

GL
DT

Reactions: ShellShock89
You had some MIL people there with issued kit (I remember seeing a Mk20, 2010 and a SASS), but the civilians it looked like any other PRS comp for the most part as far as gear. Customs, Larue's, AI, Surgeons, etc. Some people take more a hunting type rig with CF barrels, but mostly I saw competition type rigs.