• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What rifle would you buy if all your ammo was 7.62x51 surplus ammo

kmontang

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2014
Dallas, TX
What AR platform rifle would you buy if you had a huge supply of incredibly cheap 7.62? I'm trying to find out more details, but I believe its 147gr ammo, usually resides in links feeding a Dillon M134. Basically this will just be for fun, but Iwant to know it will function well, and I talked to a couple mfgs who said their rifles possibly would not cycle the 147 will in a 16-inch or shorter barrel. Also, should I be looking for something with a 1:11.25 twist. barrel, or is sticking with a 1:10 still going to perform better with this light of a bullet?

Between the 17 and 20 scar the biggest difference is the 16” vs 20” barrel length. Beyond that you are paying for the features you are probably going to add anyways; Geissele trigger, extended forend, muzzle device and butt stock. I find the 17 stock to be serviceable for precision work but ymmv. The 20” barrel may come in handy for working towards 1k but I’ve taken my 16” to 800 and had plenty of fun with it given that it is a battle rifle.

My Larue OBR runs DAG and MEN german surplus without issues... not that its a great idea to shit that unless you have too...

My LMT has no troubles running 40 years old Portuguese delinked 147s.

FAL for the win. DSA SA58.

I try to avoid AR10's or LR308's just because they're not standardized and the recoil impulse is disgusting unless it has a damn good brake and properly adjusted gas system.

Agreed. My friends Rec10 needed the JP muzzle brake. Now it’s a kitten and eats everything it is fed.

+1 on the FAL

My Larue OBR runs DAG and MEN german surplus without issues... not that its a great idea to shit that unless you have too...

I wouldn't mind adding another LaRue to the closet. interestingly enough, I've had a couple local dealers tell me they would bet Id have issues with that exact gun (likely because they couldn't sell me one?)

My LMT has no troubles running 40 years old Portuguese delinked 147s.

This is the route that's probably at the top of my list currently. I had an MWS years back I never should have sold.

Barrett REC10. It runs like it is explicitly designed for 7.62 NATO, the lighter weights. Runs PPU 145gr very well, runs too fast on 168gr FGMM. Has a 1:11.25” twist barrel. It’d probably the perfect candidate for a factory built no bull rifle.

I would recommend LMT, but any of the Mil guns such as the Scar, the HK762, the SR25 should do fine, I would even be confident in Defense contractors such as Barrett or Daniel defense making a rifle that would have no issues shooting M80.

I have a ton of 308 loaded from M134 brass that is fine in my LMT and SR25

Last edited:
Reactions: Jsp556
any difference on that between a -17 and a -20?

The 17 has a skinny barrel that attaches to the receiver with 2 screws per side. and has a short handguard. Has a standard, sloppy trigger
The 20 has a heavy barrel that attaches to the receiver with 3 screws per side, and has a longer handguard. has a super scar trigger from geiselle

Barrett REC10. It runs like it is explicitly designed for 7.62 NATO, the lighter weights. Runs PPU 145gr very well, runs too fast on 168gr FGMM. Has a 1:11.25” twist barrel. It’d probably the perfect candidate for a factory built no bull rifle.

I'll have to take a look at these. I've played with the REC-7 a lot, but not the -10. Also, it looks. like Barrett lists these as 1 1:10 twist now as well

Call me old school I guess.
9CD1DC64-0CF0-4996-8AF0-C5A98789A9A1.jpeg

For the price of some of the top shelf stuff mentioned I would get a Springer M1A and a PSA AR10 (nitride barrel) and plenty of mags. Leave the M1A standard for traditional battle rifle coolness and outfit the cheapie AR10 with all the lasers and disco lights you possibly desire.

You said this is for fun right?

Hitting targets at distance with irons is always fun........then you can switch over to the disco AR and pretend you are a vital member of Meal Team Six (DineGru)......and save the nation.

You're right.......this is fun.

Reactions: LinemanBob
It really doesn't matter since you are running M80 ball. That shit shoots about 2.5 moa from a bolt rifle.

You can run that shit through a converted commie bullet hose like the Saiga and the gun would still be more accurate than the ammo.

Since I already have my M14, that's what I'd keep, lol.

But if I had the cash? Hmm... retro Mk 11 Mod 0 clone of the SR-25 if I wanted an AR-style rifle; a L1A1 (Brit FAL) clone otherwise.

Cetme, PTR-91
Agree, they(PTR) will eat anything and more reliable than most ARs, mags cost $4.95. Now they have a rail on the receiver, scoped mine will shoot Federal White box TNB1 130gr into 1 1/4" at 100. M80 around 2" with a 7lb trigger.
It's a lot more accurate than the new SA M1As they are selling now.

Last edited:
A Savage Varmint model if that was the only ammo ever.

Guess I’ll go out of the box and suggest a m240 if you have a lot of spare change collecting dust. That’s a great gun to burn through m80 ball

Reactions: CrabsandFootball
My vote would be a flavor of M1A- mainly due to gun laws. In MA all ARs-AKs and clones there of are banned if they were manufactured after July 2016. But the law specifically allows M1As,Mini 14s as well as others. Its funny that the PS90 and Tavor are specifically listed on the approved list.

FAL is a belgium gun and was made in the US as well as the T48. It soundly beat the m14....but reasons.

Dont let ignorance get in the way of a bad joke.

scar 17s. Had for about 10 years now. Ran all types of brass and steel casing with no issues. Accurate and does not care what I feed it.

The LMT rifles are very reliable (they get a little extra gas to keep thing moving) and should cycle anything.

PWS MK218 or 216

Their long stroke piston is legit sweet. The simple gas block adjust is big bonus. When you go large frame AR designs vary a lot and after shooting pretty much all of them and owning several from DI to short stroke piston to long stroke. The PWS Long stroke is the winner for me.

Last edited:
What AR platform rifle would you buy if you had a huge supply of incredibly cheap 7.62? I'm trying to find out more details, but I believe its 147gr ammo, usually resides in links feeding a Dillon M134. Basically this will just be for fun, but Iwant to know it will function well, and I talked to a couple mfgs who said their rifles possibly would not cycle the 147 will in a 16-inch or shorter barrel. Also, should I be looking for something with a 1:11.25 twist. barrel, or is sticking with a 1:10 still going to perform better with this light of a bullet?
who said their rifles wouldn't cycle that stuff? Have yet to see any AR 308 not cycle it

also depends how much you want to spend; top of the food chain is LMT and bottom is probably psa. First you need to decide on cost