• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What rifle would you buy if all your ammo was 7.62x51 surplus ammo

An FAL, as long as it's non metric, and topped with a fresh dose of DayGlo inside it's SUIT.

scar 17s. Had for about 10 years now. Ran all types of brass and steel casing with no issues. Accurate and does not care what I feed it.
You haven't run it enough or are lying. CHS is common with steel case ammo in SCAR17's. Seen it on mine, seen it on my brothers and numerous customer guns.

I am not doubting what you said, i just have not seen it myself. I stick to the 168gr usually and the wolf 168gr FMJ has worked fine for me. I have run Brass in Federal, IMI, Lake City, and ZQI. 147gr, 168gr, 175gr all fine. There is a lot of metal, bi-metal out there. Maybe i have got lucky, but it worked.

This, with this. The Upper is 20" and my Buddy has the 18".

His 18" had problems with lock back and he went sideways putting in various buffer systems and and adjustable Gas Block. It has the mid-length gas.

My 20" Upper has the rifle length gas tube without an adjustable gas block, and ran great from round one. I function tested it with IMI M-80 and IMI 168 Semi-Auto Match, they work well and are accurate.

I have since replaced the adjustable stock with an E-2 Choate, and extended buttpad, which necessitated an A2 Buffer Tube, and I put in the JP Captured Silent 308 buffer assembly simply because my Buddy liked it so much. It fits me a lot better with my 6 1/2' frame, and should ride the bag OK. We shall see.

I also put on an AR Stoner muzzle brake, just 'cause...

Meanwhile, I have handloads set to test using the 150gr Speer Gold Dot and the 168gr Speer Gold Dot using service rifle match load data. More to see.'

...Later...

Greg

Last edited:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say if I could get anything I wanted in 7.62X51 chambering it would be an MG3. Bit heavy, lot expensive but worth it.

Reactions: rfcompton
Any JP 308. With their VMOS I can change buffer weights, BCG weight and gas. Such a tuneable system I have yet to find anything it won't run. Has a big JP break on the end, felt recoil is totally manageable.

I've shot the 147gr stuff through a POF, sig 716, pws mk216 and my brothers m1a with no trouble at all. The pws has the best recoil impulse of the ar variety I've had.

What AR platform rifle would you buy if you had a huge supply of incredibly cheap 7.62? I'm trying to find out more details, but I believe its 147gr ammo, usually resides in links feeding a Dillon M134. Basically this will just be for fun, but Iwant to know it will function well, and I talked to a couple mfgs who said their rifles possibly would not cycle the 147 will in a 16-inch or shorter barrel. Also, should I be looking for something with a 1:11.25 twist. barrel, or is sticking with a 1:10 still going to perform better with this light of a bullet?
Check out the DPMS GEN2 Recon!
What AR platform rifle would you buy if you had a huge supply of incredibly cheap 7.62? I'm trying to find out more details, but I believe its 147gr ammo, usually resides in links feeding a Dillon M134. Basically this will just be for fun, but Iwant to know it will function well, and I talked to a couple mfgs who said their rifles possibly would not cycle the 147 will in a 16-inch or shorter barrel. Also, should I be looking for something with a 1:11.25 twist. barrel, or is sticking with a 1:10 still going to perform better with this light of a bullet?
Check out the DPMS GEN2 Recon!!! They COMPLETELY redesigned the AR-10, its a half pound heavier than an AR-15, from the mag well back its an AR-15 its been designed to cycle slowly and mimic bolt action type chamber oressure and will eat ANY ammo! AR-10's in general are finicky with ammo, some will cycle 168gr and not 175gr and vice versa, the DPMS GEN2's will cycle it ALL. reliably!

Reactions: walt willis
I do have and love my DSA SA58 (FAL). Took some tweaking from the factory due to an issue with the feed ramps and trigger, but DSA got it resolved to their credit. Thing goes bang every time now.

I'm probably a minority on this, but I'd recommend Patriot Ordnance Factory and their P308s. I have two POF-308s, a Gen 3 and a Gen 4 (piston, AR308 platforms). Got both on gunbroker. Love each, and have taken several deer with the older model. Goes bang every time, all I shoot outside of hunting is surplus ammo. Groups with surplus ammo are nothing to write home about but probably close to 1.5-2 MOA if I do my part. I've got a Steiner 4-16 on one, and a Meopta Optika 6 3-18 on the other.

They are built like tanks, but with a light stock only weigh about 8 lbs 4 ounces without an optic. I've found POF to be great on responding and supporting their customers personally.

I have two I would not hesitate to grab if that was all the ammo available; either my CETME FAL or my LWRC REPR-16. Both handle even the crappiest surplus or steel cased ammo.

Well, I had an M1A at the time that I came into a supply of 4,000 rounds of M80 Ball and M62 Tracer (all in belts 4 & 1). I decided to also purchase a SCAR 17. The SCAR has a 1:12 twist and usually produces sub-moa with M80 ball, and 3 moa with the M62 tracers. It is great for bullets up to 175g (SMK & Berger), but accuracy really suffers if the bullet (the projectile, not the whole cartridge) is longer than 1.263" (the 175g Bergers are 1.268"). Longer bullets than that just won't stabilize properly in my 1:12 barrel. M80 Ball projectiles are usually about 1.122"-1.24" long. M62 tracer on the other hand is 1.330" long, which certainly accounts for the reduced accuracy I get with tracers. 1:10 twist is very good for 7.62/.308 diameter bullets in general and can handle weights up to 190g (I also have a 1:10 Deadshot 18" barrel for my SCAR 17) and bullet lengths up to 1.425" (I haven't tried anything heavier or longer in the 1:10 barrel yet) are fully stable at the 1:10 twist. The M1A handles all the military ammo (especially M80) very well. I was at the range this morning with the SCAR shooting (hand loads) 130g Speer flat base hot-core bullets (similar to MK319 projectiles) and the OEM SCAR 17 1:12 barrel was giving sub-moa on 50.0g of BL-C(2) powder, CCI #34 primers, and Federal match cases loaded to a COAL of 2.560" and delivering 2795 fps from the SCAR's 16.25" barrel, if you are interested in reloading at all. The 1:12 twist delivers 1 moa accuracy with LC '88 M80 ball ammo. Newer LC '15 is giving me the sub-moa with that 1:12 twist. I wouldn't say that the 1:10 barrel does any better with M80 ball (147g-149g) than the 1:12 twist though, although it is very good with M118 and hand loads using 175g SMK and Berger bullets. Hope that helps. If your goal is shooting just M80 Ball ammo, I wouldn't invest a lot of money for that purpose. A SCAR or M1A is maybe overkill ($$) for that single purpose, so something less expensive will likely be more satisfactory in the long run. AR-pattern rifles or carbines can be much cheaper, and you can always re-barrel the upper when you are done with the surplus 7.62 for very little money. Magazines (PMAG or Lancer) will be a cheaper solution than SCAR and M1A mags as well, and more plentiful too, although I have used $13 Pro-Mags in the SCAR for range duty that haven't given me any malfunctions during the more than 5 years that I have been using them for that purpose. The $50 factory FN and Springfield mags are preferred for more serious use though.

Reactions: theLBC
You haven't run it enough or are lying. CHS is common with steel case ammo in SCAR17's. Seen it on mine, seen it on my brothers and numerous customer guns.
Never had any problems with MY SCAR 17 either, although mine is a Belgium manufactured gun. So maybe you shouldn't be so quick to call everyone a liar because their experience doesn't match yours. Maybe you are limp-wristing the gun, that could be genetic, so your brother and other family members might have a similar problem to yours. Don't give a crap what your "customers" told you either.

I wish to change my answer:

AIAT with 308 caliber, 26” barrel, ARCA spiget, and ckypod bipod. Awesome!

Easy Peasy, the basic MODEL of the rifle that beat that KAC bitch
during the M110 Trials/Survey.
{Never mind the Hoes that need not have applied. BTW, can Kevin
respond about those trials, NOW?}

ARMALITE AR-10A4 20" CL'd double hand-lapped bore FTMFW.

Toss the A2 two piece HG and replace with ARMALITE's USMC Penis Mod FL HG and
HAVE AT IT!!!

Since 1999, I have not had one 20" CL'd barrel that didn't produce
FIVE or MOAR multiple 5 Shot Groups at 100yds under 1/2" in a da-da-damn row.

Of course, Earnie {My Three Sons joke}, I meant with fodder that it liked.
I would say 3/8" C2C, BUTT!!! I don't want to deal with the KAC Karens.
Today, damn it all to hell, it seems like someone has been trying to kill that company.

Robert Mitchum would have taken an ARMALITE 10A4 over any KAC in
Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison (1957)
:cool:
Just yankin' chains...
8541 Old School '76-'86 Stone Bay '85-'86
I'll be 63 years young 21SEP20, this coming Monday.
The world would be a boring place if everyone liked the same shit. me

God Bless:
Frank
SH
USMC
1/8 STA
YADA

BEST TO ALL.

Never had any problems with MY SCAR 17 either, although mine is a Belgium manufactured gun. So maybe you shouldn't be so quick to call everyone a liar because their experience doesn't match yours. Maybe you are limp-wristing the gun, that could be genetic, so your brother and other family members might have a similar problem to yours. Don't give a crap what your "customers" told you either.
Limp wristing a SCAR?

"I never had any problems......." is not a qualified statement.

Now tell me you have put 5 or 10K rounds of steel case through a SCAR17 without a case head separation and we might have a conversation.

I have a little over 1500 of steel case through mine before I sold it and had 7 CHS. Got tired of extracting broken cases out of the gun so stopped shooting steel through it all together. The action is too violent, the chrome is tight on the chamber and steel does not stretch before yielding like brass does. Its a great gun otherwise but steel should not be shot through it. Its a known issue specifically with Tula.

You are right, people who DON't have as much experience are trying to argue about something they are wrong about. Have seen it in enough guns and have yet to see one that hasn't had the issue with a steady diet of steel, that it is known issue.

Or you could google the issue and see the numerous owners sharing similar situations.

Or you could argue a losing point.

FN Scar forum tends to agree that they like m80 ball, from lake city to 80s malaysian surplus.
my 20s likes serbian ppu, 145gr or 150gr. but i haven't tried any other m80 (got cases before it got expensive).
if you're gonna do mag dumps, doesn't hurt to have the cl chf barrel either.

I like my SCAR 17, in fact I like it enough to not use steel cased ammo in it. The SCAR is more accurate than my FN FAL para, and DSA SA58 para. All 3 are great functioning rifles that I would gladly take into battle, but they may not work with steel case ammo either. In my opinion I really would have to be in a bad situation to even consider shooting that anyway. I did find a round that works well in the SCAR for accuracy and improved range though. This is probably not something for everyone, and needs to be approached with caution. I bought some 308 Berger Apllied Ballistics 155.5 grain Fullbore FTR class ammo, it is loaded fairly hot and long for competition bolt guns. I seated it deeper in several increments trying each and looking for problems until I got them to magazine length with no problems or over pressure issues. I have run a hundred or so through the SCAR without any trouble. They are sub MOA and average 2660 fps out of the 16" 1:12 barrel, as opposed to Federal Match 168 grain at 2446 fps. This extends super sonic range about 200 yards too. Just thought I would share this with everyone.

For a .308 ar I’d vote sr25 or a lmt, but the real answer to your question is a FAL.

The 50 BMG Serbu auto, The DPMS AR-10, The CZ-550 varmint, and a .22 LR with a can using 60 grain subsonic ammo.
The AR-15 is a good all around weapon if you are a poor shot and have too much ammo?

SR25 in an ideal world with 1:11 twist

I have an M1A in a Sage EBR Mod 0 with a crazy horse barrel 1:10. It is deeply disappointing when shooting 147gr which is most of my ammo stock. Also, it sucks to clean the M1A if in a Sage chassis because you are supposed to rezero if you take it apart to clean the piston.

My M1A Super Match was disappointing with NATO ball too. I figured the 1:10 barrel was the problem, but military mg ammo is not very accurate anyway. It was much happier with Fed GM 168's.

Easy Peasy, the basic MODEL of the rifle that beat that KAC bitch
during the M110 Trials/Survey.
{Never mind the Hoes that need not have applied. BTW, can Kevin
respond about those trials, NOW?}

ARMALITE AR-10A4 20" CL'd double hand-lapped bore FTMFW.

Toss the A2 two piece HG and replace with ARMALITE's USMC Penis Mod FL HG and
HAVE AT IT!!!

Since 1999, I have not had one 20" CL'd barrel that didn't produce
FIVE or MOAR multiple 5 Shot Groups at 100yds under 1/2" in a da-da-damn row.

Of course, Earnie {My Three Sons joke}, I meant with fodder that it liked.
I would say 3/8" C2C, BUTT!!! I don't want to deal with the KAC Karens.
Today, damn it all to hell, it seems like someone has been trying to kill that company.

Robert Mitchum would have taken an ARMALITE 10A4 over any KAC in
Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison (1957)
:cool:
Just yankin' chains...
8541 Old School '76-'86 Stone Bay '85-'86
I'll be 63 years young 21SEP20, this coming Monday.
The world would be a boring place if everyone liked the same shit. me

God Bless:
Frank
SH
USMC
1/8 STA
YADA

BEST TO ALL.

Agreed, my A4 that i converted into a 16 inch blaster with RLGS and an ACOG plus a binary trigger will eat anything. It shoots all surplus M80 type plus Wolf steel case. That steel case stuff is more accurate than LC or Winny M80! I can tell you a .308 at FA like speed is fun!

Attachments

• 20190417_102419.jpg
    20190417_102419.jpg
    684.8 KB · Views: 72
I have a 5 digit M1A from my Hi Power days, just had Derrick Martin bed it in one of those
disgusting brown fiberglass GI stocks a few months ago, it ain't pretty anymore but sure
does shoot like it.