• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What rifle would you recommend?

bnoland

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2006
Memphis, TN
I want a nicer .22 rifle. I have a Mossberg Plinkster and that is all it is, a Plinkster. I want a nice bolt action .22. I want something that has parts avalible so I can upgrade it later on. What would you recommend?

Re: What rifle would you recommend?

Sako Quad or one of the CZ452 variants would be my choice.

I just picked up a 452 Varmint and it's a nice little rifle.

I like the looks of the Sako Quad Heavy barrel. Any recommendation on which Sako Quad to get and anyone know a price range on them? I have seen quite abit about it but nowhere to buy.

I can't recommend CZ 452s enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lineman711</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't recommend CZ 452s enough. </div></div>

Any veriation better than another on them?

I am considering a Sako Quad or heavy barrel but have yet to find a distributor who can get a heavy barrel. If you do let me know so I can order one.

I considered a Sako and I bought a used Anshutz mdl64. It works for me. I would opt for a mag fed bolt design next time. Maybe a Stiller is in my future.

You can get a pretty nice Anshutz for about $800-900. That'd be my choice, budget allowing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TDR911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am considering a Sako Quad or heavy barrel but have yet to find a distributor who can get a heavy barrel. If you do let me know so I can order one.
</div></div>

I don't have the PH# handy,but Benchmark Barrels in Arlington,WA will build a custom rimfire bbl for around $300 to your specs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bnoland</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lineman711</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't recommend CZ 452s enough. </div></div>

Any veriation better than another on them? </div></div>

Personal preference for the most part. Depends really on what you want to do with it.

Do you need open sights? What length barrel do you prefer? Would you like a heavier barrel or standard?

I went with the Varmint model. I was between a Trainer, Varmint, and American. Thought that a Varmint or American would be better for use with a scope. Got a much better deal on the Varmint than the American. Very happy with the rifle, even with cheap ammo.

Oddly enough, Wolf MT shoots worse than any other I've tried, including Thunderbolts. Just keep that in mind if you do happen to purchase one. After reading probably hundreds of posts about how CZs shoot so great with Wolf MT, I bought a few boxes and headed to range. 100 yard groups looked like I had shot them with my Glock. I ended up going home feeling pretty crappy, but the next day took out a bunch of different ammo and was really impressed how it shot <span style="font-style: italic">everything</span> else.

depends on your budget and what you want to do with it, around $300 and under savage mkii (unless your getting one with reallly nice wood, add $150-$250), $300 - $500 cz, ruger , 500 and up kimber, anshutz, 40x.

probably the best bang for the buck is a savage or cz, reasonably priced, accurate, and plenty options / upgrades available. the cz seems to have a bit more accuracy, better finish, and even a trigger that doubles as a target 2 stage (light) and a hunting weight (heavy)

for a decent low price "beaters" marlin.

lots of information here on all of them, with a little looking you should be able to narrow your choices down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I can't recommend CZ 452s enough.</div></div>

+1 - Amazing rifle for the money. I got the Varmit - heavy barrel. Fit and finish is absolutely first class. Mine shoots everything I throw at it, but haven't tried Wolf MT yet. Easy to adjust the trigger yourself in about 10 minutes. Got a picatinny 20 MOA rail for it (Rimfire Technologies) and mounted a Nikon 4.5-14 side focus. Shoots way bettter than me.
shocked.gif

I used to be a skeptic.

Cooper makes superb 22's. I have a 57 that puts five shots into 1/2" @ 100 yds with no wind.

If you're looking for something to "upgrade" later, then 10/22 is the obvious answer. If you're looking for something you don't have to upgrade then Cooper, Kimber, CZ etc.

Have you checked out rimfirecentral?

Can't go wrong with a 10/22. The AR15 of the rimfire world, as far as upgrade potentials POV.
But he wanted a bolt action, according to his initial statement.

10/22 for a semi-auto with decent accuracy and upgradable.

Savage Mark II for bolt-action, adjustable trigger, heavy barel, etc etc...pretty accurate and a good training tool.

Show up at a Friday night.22 shoot with some black box ammo.
1060 is about right for their range.(50 yards, inside)
Remmy Rims are great.
You can pan the camera and have a burger while buddy shoots.
Some guys may have right ammo for all to try.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't go wrong with a 10/22. The AR15 of the rimfire world, as far as upgrade potentials POV.
</div></div>

Correct.. I would likw to get a 10/22 but I want a bolt action. I will get a 10/22 later for sure though. I am starting to lean towards the CZ 452 Silhouette since I have heard so much good feedback about the 452s.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bnoland</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't go wrong with a 10/22. The AR15 of the rimfire world, as far as upgrade potentials POV.
</div></div>

Correct.. I would likw to get a 10/22 but I want a bolt action. I will get a 10/22 later for sure though. I am starting to lean towards the CZ 452 Silhouette since I have heard so much good feedback about the 452s. </div></div>

I have a 452 Silhouette. I got it threaded and shoot it suppressed.

It is one of the most fun things ever to shoot!!

(closest rifle is the CZ. Middle is my 308. Top one is a Savage I believe)

march231.jpg

Look at the CZ 453 Varmint also. It shoots extremely well. I have one that shoots Wolff Match Extra in a ragged hole at 50 yds. At 100 yds the groups open up some. Going to try some Lapua Center X Tomorrow to see if I can get an improvement. The 453 has a set trigger that is real light. Just the regular trigger is nice also. The wood is beautiful. Fit and finish are well done. I am highly pleased with this weapon. It also shoots the cheaper ammo real good . Don't think you could go wrong with any CZ Model. Savage shoots pretty good also.

I have found a couple places to look at the CZ but where can I buy them? Does anyone know if there is anyone locally in Memphis, TN that carry them?

Another vote for Cooper. I have the 57M LVT. Their customer service is also excellent.

Be Well

Maxwell

Cooper?? Those things are nearly as expensive as a GAP basic.
shocked.gif

I get antsy looking at the prices of Annie's and 40X's. Wouldn't mind being able to plunk down nearly $2K on a rimfire though.

I have a CZ 452 varmint, with a 8oz.-2lb. rifle basix trigger($95./). the 453 is about $100./ more, because of the trigger.
so for the same money you get the same gun with a much better trigger.
I put a Burris 3x14x32 Timberline with front adjustment that goes down to 7yrds. I use it for hunting, but it shoots paper like a match gun (sub MOA)

Get an Anschutz 54 repeater. Put it in a McMillan stock and you have a rifle that will last the rest of your life. It will set a benchmark for quality and shootability for the rest of your rifles. I bought my first 54 in 1977 as a junior shooter and have not yet found a rimfire or centerfire rifle that is "better" on the range. My best string of shots is with a 54. In a "buddies betting match" I hit 5 rams at 100m in 4.9sec. It was pure luck but I'm 100% sure I could not have done that with any other rifle. (except maybe with a Fortner biathlon)

As they say in the optic forum about hi end scopes: cry once