• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What safe are you using?

Re: What safe are you using?

I was just going by what my friend told me... I like gravity feed idea! I would thing a safe full of water beats a safe full of roasted guns anyday!

I'm always worried more about my ammo from a fire standpoint. Not that it will shoot a firefighter (highly unlikely) but about the heat all those little explosions will generate. A couple thousand of them can't be good. I may pick up another safe for ammo storage.

"Back to the fire rating - if 1200 degrees for 20 minutes isn't enough, trust me, I'll have bigger issues to worry about, such as the whole house gone.

Fire board/gypsum/cement board protect by releasing the water they contain when they get heated to a certain temp., basically releasing steam on the inside of your safe. If the temp continues to rise, they very often break down further and migrate towards the lower sections of your safe. If the fire continues to burn unchecked, guess what, you now have little or no protection in the upper regions of your safe.

So, for me, no fire board/cement in my safe. If you really want to protect your stuff, soldier a fire sprinkler head or 2 in your safe room. If you also have a floor drain close by, even better".

Absolutely correct. Steam bathed metal and wood is not a pretty thing. Fire protection in a real blaze is for paper ($ and docs)and the clock is ticking!

Do not forget about this!

http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/04/robert-farago/editorial-store-your-ammo-in-a-fireproof-safe/

I acquired this recently. I have yet to make an interior for it to store firearms. The measurements are nice on the inside such that everything will line up without having to remove one gun to access another. I will make a set of shelves on top for documents, valuables, and handguns. I also need to have it moved in a few months about 3 hours away when I move.

http://montess.net/megasafe.htm

I have had a Liberty safe for about 7 years and like it alot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..
Do not forget about this!

http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/04/robert-farago/editorial-store-your-ammo-in-a-fireproof-safe/..</div></div>

Rolling, while I agree with you for the most part, I do have to ask this one point.

Contrary to a "powder magazine" which is designed to crumple/vent/depressurize, you're advocating taking all one's "flammables" and putting them into a "sealed and reinforced" container? While I won't deny that this would protect the contents for the longest duration (theoretically), I will also state that IF (God forbid, if,,,) the temps were to rise inside that container to the UNoptimum level, then you've just created a grenade of massive proportions.

And I gotta say, I've more regard for our Friendly Neighborhood Firemen than that. For sure.

Which is why I stated long ago, and prior here too, about the "gravity-fed, fusible-link, water sprinkler" thingy.

Some might think I'm paranoid, but I definitely don't want to hear anyone tell a story about losing their home, AND being liable for a half a dozen Firemen's deaths, due to intentionally creating a fire hazard AND storing items contrary to the Fire Code.

Double ended sword, there. Criminal protection is one thing, Fire protection is another. Again, I'd sure like to hear a smoke-eater's opinion or three on this.

For what you would spend on a good safe, consider buying a vault door. Have it built as money permits. A well made vault will add value to your home as well as give you a secure fireproof saferoom for valuables as well as your family.

This isnt for everybody, but if your situation permits, its very hard to beat.

I am a firefighter.... 20 yrs. The best bet IMO is a good safe, preferably in the basement or ground floor for those of you who don't have basements. There is nothing worse than going into a house charged with smoke, and later realizing that there's a 500 - 1000 lb. safe sitting on a wood floor when I just came out of the basement below it.

I don't recommend gravity fed systems or a gallon or two of water in your safe. Simply tap into a 1/2" or 3/4" water line, run some copper pipe to the area you safe is in and install 1 or 2 sprinkler heads - depending on the size of the room. Sprinkler heads are not expensive. If you have a room with a water line running in the ceiling joists, and you are a bit handy with a torch, you can install a couple heads for less than $50.00.

1 gallon of water converts to 1600 gallons of steam.

A free burning fire with plenty of oxygen will double in size every minute in your home until it either runs out of O2 or fuel.

Sprinklers can extinguish fires or at least keep them in check until the big red truck shows up.

Actually I'd rather have really good seals on my safe door to keep water out, the sprinkler will take care of the fire. Just keeping your safe 4"-6" off the floor will buy you alot of time if a water line breaks or a sprinkler head goes off.

If your house is fully involved in fire, your safe will end up in the basement either by design or by gravity, and we'll most likely fill the basement in which case all bets are off.

I got my dad's safe when he passed away earlier this year. It not very big, nor very secure, but it works.

You can kinda see it here:

IMG_2110.jpg

I have a Champion which is rated 1500 degrees for 90 minutes. I thought it was plenty large when I got it. Not now though. They really do fill up fast, faster than I expected. Get the biggest one you can afford. I like the BG tumbler lock and could never feel confident in the electronic locks. Call me old fashioned but I like to turn the dial. Bolt it to the floor. Keep it out of sight if possible and don't let others know you have it.

I bought a Sturdy safe, only semi/custom builder out there that built my safe to my dimensions that was reasonable and its built like a brick shit house,,2500lbs empty

I had a Liberty safe that I used for about eight years, and I really liked it. Eventually my collection just outgrew it, by a lot. At the SHOT show I saw Pendleton safes and thought "this is what I need", but their turret options were not right for my collection.

After some consultation with them back-and-forth they came out with what they call a "split turret" that can accommodate long arms on one side of the carousel and carbines on the other. They also have triangle cuts in the "index" shelf that can accommodate larger muzzle devices and oddly-shaped firearms. Then I finally pulled the trigger (so to speak)!

The safe arrived about 4 weeks after I ordered it. I went with the biggest model, all optioned out, with the tough bedliner-type external finish. It's got lights, a built-in dehumidifier and fan, and electronic rotation.

Since it's round it fits neatly in the corner and I have it flanked by shelving. It weighs 1200 lbs. The best thing about it is that I don't ever have to remove more than one rifle to get another one out. And I can SEE the WHOLE collection all at once! Standing with that door open and watching the turret spin around is mesmerizing.

It is EXPENSIVE as all heck but I am VERY happy with it so far.

Pendleton_small.jpg

+1 on AmSec (American Security). I like mine. ½ inch steel plate on the door face, 1 ½ inch bolts and poured concrete insulation. They have both good fire and burglary ratings.

I also like a digital lock. I used a dial for years but the digital lets me in a few seconds. Maybe a pro could defeat it with the right electronics but that’s a long shot (pun intended).

Best advice – put it in closet, in a corner or against a wall and bolt it flush to concrete. If you don’t have a concrete floor or can’t pour a spot, use a steel backing plate below the floor and weld the bolts to it.

Thieves like to tip these over so they can get leverage to pry the door open, or take it with them to work at their leisure. Putting the safe in a tight location makes it harder to use a Sawsall to cut the floor bolts.

Don’t rely on a heavy safe being very difficult for a burglar to tip over or take with them. I delivered, unloaded, maneuvered and installed my 1,000 lb safe by myself with a dolly and a jack.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Olson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a Sturdy safe, only semi/custom builder out there that built my safe to my dimensions that was reasonable and its built like a brick shit house,,2500lbs empty </div></div>
Been looking hard at Sturdy for some time. Did you go with their fire lined? How is the door's fit and finish? Would you buy from them again even if you didn't need a custom safe?

Thanks,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MikeP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Olson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a Sturdy safe, only semi/custom builder out there that built my safe to my dimensions that was reasonable and its built like a brick shit house,,2500lbs empty </div></div>
Been looking hard at Sturdy for some time. Did you go with their fire lined? How is the door's fit and finish? Would you buy from them again even if you didn't need a custom safe?

Thanks, </div></div>

I have a Sturdy that I had custom made. The fit is nice. They don't put automotive quality finishes on them like some others do. It is all safe, not furniture. In my opinion they put your money where safe counts, and not on pretty. I would def. buy from them again.

I have a Weatherby and love it. I think it's made by AmSec, couldnt' beat it for the price (free). It's my brothers, but it's at my house. I tell him all the the time possesion is 9/10ths of the law.

What about horizontal design? I have heard that storing long guns with the weight on the recoil pad will, over time, damage the recoil pad.

Is there any truth to this?

I have Fort Knox. I like it. My only regret is buying too small the first time around. No bs..get 2X the size you think you need. you WILL fill it up and then have more to put in it.

JeffVN

I own a Fort Knox and love it. However, I will be buying another safe and I will be going with Sturdy or Amsec. The Fort Knox dealer near me is unreasonable and I wasn't happy with them. I wish Fort Knox would expand their dealer network in my area.
If you plan on keeping the safe in a garage or basement hidden away then save the money on the look and get a Sturdy.

I completely agree with the others, get a safe that is larger than what you currently need. You will find a way to load it up!

Good luck
Evan

Local FFL holder I'm dealing with recommended a Summit safe. He got Everest, and suggested that Denali would be enough for a "normal" user. I saw his Everest - no fancy finish, looks rugged, strong and business-like (I liked it). His opinion was that Summit now offers the biggest bang for the buck.

Anybody who dealt with these Summit safes would care to comment? How do they compare to other brands?

I have a Sturdy safe with fire liner, no chrome bolts or shiny paint but a real safe that is affordable.

I got the Browning Platinum Plus. I am very happy with it. It was not fun getting it into the basement. The door weights 600 lbs. and the safe weights 950 lbs. It is a really nice safe. They went up with the metal markets.

I have a Sturdy...great safe, no frills just heavy steel. I didnt get the fire lining mainly because the fire response time is fast here, also i have seen plenty of safes after a fire and the liner didnt do squat!

Also if you arent picky about the look of them, ask if they have any blemished models available, mine had a minor paint blem on the back and they took off like $200. Also call when ordering...it seems you get a better deal!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LFOD1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a Liberty safe that I used for about eight years, and I really liked it. Eventually my collection just outgrew it, by a lot. At the SHOT show I saw Pendleton safes and thought "this is what I need", but their turret options were not right for my collection.

After some consultation with them back-and-forth they came out with what they call a "split turret" that can accommodate long arms on one side of the carousel and carbines on the other. They also have triangle cuts in the "index" shelf that can accommodate larger muzzle devices and oddly-shaped firearms. Then I finally pulled the trigger (so to speak)!

The safe arrived about 4 weeks after I ordered it. I went with the biggest model, all optioned out, with the tough bedliner-type external finish. It's got lights, a built-in dehumidifier and fan, and electronic rotation.

Since it's round it fits neatly in the corner and I have it flanked by shelving. It weighs 1200 lbs. The best thing about it is that I don't ever have to remove more than one rifle to get to one out. And I can SEE the WHOLE collection all at once! Standing with that door open and watching the turret spin around is mesmerizing.

It is EXPENSIVE as all heck but I am VERY happy with it so far.

Pendleton_small.jpg
</div></div> I looked on their website but it didnt say if it was fireproof? Any input?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KnabstrupperUSA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I looked on their website but it didnt say if it was fireproof? Any input?</div></div>

It is NOT fireproofed in any way. However, it comes with a $50,000 lifetime fire insurance policy for the original owner.

I personally don't have a lot of faith in the fire protection afforded by most safes anyway (sheetrock). I've seen the cooked contents of gun safes that have been through house fires. Your best insurance against fire and loss is an actual insurance policy.

You can also get something <span style="font-style: italic">like</span> the Pendleton by putting one or two of these things into a big safe: http://www.gun-racks.com.

+1 what MP15 said about the safe ending up in a basement filled with water
frown.gif
Dose any one know if any safe has a waterproof rating in addition to a fire/burglar rating???

I have a Browning Mark I Tactical that I picked up about six months ago. Other than the name (still not sure what a "tactical" safe is), I've been really pleased with this safe. It's rated at 1200/45min and has an expanding fire seal. Shelves are solid and it comes standard with a mirror in the back to help with lighting. Didn't think the little shelf on the top would be a big deal, but it helps keep kids from potentially pulling something down from there. The storage system that comes on the back of the door is great and makes storing/organizing all the little parts and pieces much easier.

SFT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: everyreggie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Sturdy...great safe, no frills just heavy steel. I didnt get the fire lining mainly because the fire response time is fast here, also i have seen plenty of safes after a fire and the liner didnt do squat!

Also if you arent picky about the look of them, ask if they have any blemished models available, mine had a minor paint blem on the back and they took off like $200. Also call when ordering...it seems you get a better deal!</div></div>

Sturdy's can take it. They've got evidence of safes that withstood a complete burn and the papers inside weren't even singed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cheese</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now let's say you get your (xyz) safe delivered to your driveway or garage.
What tricks did you use to move several hundred pounds?
Buds and beers, golf balls etc...

Or maybe this should be a new thread?</div></div>

I moved my 1100lb Sturdy by myself with a cut-up broomstick. The important take away from that is no matter how big or heavy your safe is, bolt it down.

I just bought a cannon wide body.

I have a Liberty Centurion, its okay. Not bad the price but it seems a bit cheaply built. I cannot afford the monster safe i would like to have so this will have to do for now.

I think the Liberty fatboy is in my future. The size is a big thing for me. My wife wants is in the open so it looks ok too. I wanted a Presidential in ivory but it is not near the same size.

Anyone that buys a safe needs get a size bigger than you think you'll need. There is never enough room. Once your better half has the combination it tends to fill up with stuff unrelated to firearms, or important documents.

To keep the peace I may get one for her birthday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hoosier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought a cannon wide body. </div></div>

I just bought the same thing! I also have insurance!! I don't have any collector items so pretty much everything can be replaced. Just be sure your insurance covers what you have, I had to have mine re-evaluated

Mick

Dose any one have any experience with " Sportsman Steel safe Co." They look like they have a good safe and a good price point.