• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What scope for a rimfire trainer

Been wondering about this myself.

Thinking of something with lots of elevation to see how far out I can get before common sense and lots of misses set in.

I've been curious of this myself. I'd like the flexablity of a variable magnification optic, but the SWFA SS HD 10x looks like it's be a great option. I currently have a Leupold Rimfire 2-7x on it now, but the closer I am to finishing my 10/22 trainer the more I want a ffp scope to practice with. I've heard that the Bushnell 3-12x Elite Tactical is a good scope for a trainer and can be had for around $500. I'll have to follow this thread.

Careful on the distance that you're shooting, as parallax on most scopes is from 50y upwards.
Unfortunately parallax data is also not overly easy to get hold of from some manufacturers.

I've created this FFP Rifle Scope Gogle Doc to keep track of all FFP scopes, where the turrets and reticles unit of measure match.
It's all in metric, so just convert to imperial as necessary.
Please let me know if you spot any mistakes, or missing info and I'll update them... or if there are any brands that I have missed.

If you will be transitioning to a FFP scope later on for your centerfire or have already then it's a great idea to use one on your 22 trainer. If you are going mil/ml then it makes even more sense.

Midways BSA tactical 4-14 and SWFA 3-15 are great scopes respective to price and application for the aforementioned purposes.

Bushnell 10x40 is what I have on my Savage fv-sr. Only had it out to 200 yards so far but great scope.

I've had good luck with my Leupold VX3 6.5-20x40 EFR Target. It's a really nice scope for a 22. I have it up for sell over in the optics classifieds only because hunting season is approaching fast and I have to get another scope (30mm) for my hunting rifle.

Then your looking for a SFP scope.
I don't mind on a .22. My full size guns have FFP Vortex scopes. I am thinking about a fixed 10x scope now perhaps. What do you guys think? The reason I want the trainer is in the winter time shooting longer ranges gets difficult due to them not plowing the range past 100 yards and I don't want to walk in knee deep snow to 400 yards carrying steel targets.
Pat

Fixed SS or Weaver Grand Slam Tactical 3-10x40.

What you describe would be best with fixed power scope. Still recommend a scope designed for rimfire. Remember to consider reticle subtensions.

Edit: Never mind. You said 100 yards not 100 feet. I would use the same thing as for long range. It's a trainer. I would use the same scope.

agreed. I would choose SFP, and tracking over FFP with soft click that doesn't track.

FYI, I've had 3 of these Midway 4-14's and they are surprisingly good scopes for the money and this includes tracking. I've taken them past 10 mils a few times. Two friends were impressed enough with them to buy one.

They also have 10Y parallax so if you wanted to practice indoors with CB's they'll work for that too.

The Bushnell 3-12 and 6-24 and SWFA 3-15 are nearly 3 times the price which is why I have not upgraded all my air rifles and 22's. I have owned the Bushnell 3-12 and it has a annoying eyebox but good glass. I own the 3-15 which I prefer over the Bushnell. The 1827F wears a S&B 3-20 so I have compared them and other scopes.

I'll go on record here and say that the BSA 4-14 is a very good 22 scope since I have shot it side by side with the S&B and can hit the same targets both dialing and holding over/off and during competitions and winning.

FYI, I've had 3 of these Midway 4-14's and they are surprisingly good scopes for the money and this includes tracking. I've taken them past 10 mils a few times. Two friends were impressed enough with them to buy one.

They also have 10Y parallax so if you wanted to practice indoors with CB's they'll work for that too.

The Bushnell 3-12 and 6-24 and SWFA 3-15 are nearly 3 times the price which is why I have not upgraded all my air rifles and 22's. I have owned the Bushnell 3-12 and it has a annoying eyebox but good glass. I own the 3-15 which I prefer over the Bushnell. The 1827F wears a S&B 3-20 so I have compared them and other scopes.

I'll go on record here and say that the BSA 4-14 is a very good 22 scope since I have shot it side by side with the S&B and can hit the same targets both dialing and holding over/off and during competitions and winning.

If Steve says it, I believe it. I don't know anyone who has more experience in rimfire and air rifles (damn good with a centerfire as well, but many have experience in this). I am going to pick up a 4-14 soon because of this info.

Only one question. Which Bushnell you are referring to, the LRHS?

Thanks,
Ty

If Steve says it, I believe it. I don't know anyone who has more experience in rimfire and air rifles (damn good with a centerfire as well, but many have experience in this). I am going to pick up a 4-14 soon because of this info.

Only one question. Which Bushnell you are referring to, the LRHS?

Thanks,
Ty

Hey there Ty and thanks for the honorable mention.

I was was referring to the non LRHS or the 3-12x44 tactical. The LRHS is a very nice scope, except that it has 50Y parallax so I don't use it on anything but centerfires.

The only real negative I can ascribe to the BSA 4-14 is the glass isn't that great but I've looked through worse.

I've been curious of this myself. I'd like the flexablity of a variable magnification optic, but the SWFA SS HD 10x looks like it's be a great option. I currently have a Leupold Rimfire 2-7x on it now, but the closer I am to finishing my 10/22 trainer the more I want a ffp scope to practice with. I've heard that the Bushnell 3-12x Elite Tactical is a good scope for a trainer and can be had for around $500. I'll have to follow this thread.

I have the Bushnell 3-12x44 with the BTR-MIL reticle Bushnell - LRS 3-12x 44mm.

The glass is great, the turrets are pretty tactile, though not as tactile as my friend's new Vortex 6-24. It also has a 10Y parallax. It is pretty costly, those who say they can get it around $500, that's a great price! I paid $850 for mine last year. Also it has the bulletproof guarantee so if you don't like it, you can send it back to Bushnell within a year for a 100% refund.

For the .22 I'm looking at this Falcon 4-14, that looks like a pretty good price for a decent equipped glass.