• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What scope on .308 for $1,000.00 ...or less

LWcomm

Private
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2011
SE Michigan
Hi all.

New to long range shooting but have target shot, hunted and such whole life. Wanted to learn more about long range precision shooting so here I am. This website has been a wealth of knowledge and extremely helpful. Thanks!

I have recently put together my first precision .308 bolt.

It is a Remington 700 SPS tactical AAC-SD. I have upgraded to a B&C stock, Timney trigger. Have one piece 20 MOA base and TPS rings with the Bushnell 3200 10x40 on it.

Waiting on Atlas works bottom medal. Have AI mags and a good amount of ammo to practice with. I have ran about 100 rounds through it as is and it shoots 1.2 to .5 inch 3 shot groups consistently with my poor aging eyes. 1.2 are after barrel heats up.

I want to put a variable FFP scope on this that is the best value at or under 1,000.00

The 3200 10x is great for the money and may in fact be the best option. But I would really like a bit more reach.

I have been reading all the post here and was hoping to get a response as to what the best value for me would be at my price point.

Re: What scope on .308 for $1,000.00 ...or less

If you search and read a bit:

Vortex PST 6-24 FFP 899$
Weaver 3.5-15 FFP 769$
Used Bushnell 3-12 FFP 550ish (new ones are 780 or something like that)

will be what you find.

If you're willing to spend a little more and wait a little while:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2716145&nt=3&page=1

Personally I like to holdover instead of dial so the more I look at that bushnell the better it is...

BCP

Thanks...I have searched and read a lot.

I have my own thoughts along with similar ideas on which scopes but wanted straight forward responses without me leading in any direction.

I would for sure look at the vortex PST,I have the Viper HS LR on my .308 and really like it I am going to put a PST on soon.

For $1200 you can get a quality used NF SFP. If you spend the extra $200 you will get a much better value.

Bushnell seems to have up the anny with some of their elite series

For your price range and criteria I would put the PST high on my list. You might find a SS 5-20x HD in the used section here also. Fair amount of people got them for $1000 for the deal snipershide had with SWFA, and some are going up for around 1100-1200 with accessories(they go new for 1500 now).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scootball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bushnell seems to have up the anny with some of their elite series</div></div>

I have personally witnessed two new bushnell elite 6500's advertised as MOA adjustments where the adjustments were off by about 10%.
Not a big deal until you get out there past needing to dial at least 5 MOA. A couple very unhappy customers at a local steel plate match out to 1000 yards. I don't know if these guys will keep them or not. They were repeatable, just not correct.

I have the Weaver on a very similar rifle set up and am very pleased, it's a tough value to beat

May I suggest an IOR, great glass, a host of features and the quality is getting better and better. The IOR 2.5-10 x 42 30mm is a pretty decent scope for under a thousand, but the IOR 2.5-10 x 42 30mm Tactical First Focal Plane, MP-8 Dot Illuminated Reticle at $1189 is quite a bargain with FFP, illumination and mil/mil.

You really only have 4 options in your price range.

Luckily they are all good options.

Falcon Menace 4-14 or 5.5-25. The glass is good, but not in the same league as the other three choices and the mushy clicks are a veru easy, cheap fix. If this is a daylight only gun, this scope will serve you very well. Abiut 380 - 450 depending.

The other three are in the same price bracket oof 750 - 850.
Bushnell Elite tactical, Weaver Tactical and the Vortex PST.

All three make SOME compromises, but all three are excellent scopes.

Thanks for replies...

All good suggestions. I have been leaning towards the Vortex PST 6-24x 50mm SF FFP but not sure if this is best choice. I see mixed opinions but all good on their customer service.

The new Bushnell is very interesting though.

I lucked into the Weaver Tactical 3-15x in a trade and have been very pleased with it. Originally had wanted a PST, and hadn't considered the Weaver. The Weaver is worth the money. Repeatable and clear, the parallax indications on the knob are even spot on out to the 400 yards I've messed with it so far. That said I have one of Vortex's hunting scopes and I like their products and have been blown away by their excellent customer service. Either one would serve you well, I'd suggest checking them out side by side. I also own a first gen Falcon 4-14 FFP, and for $350 they're a good value but not as good a scope as the higher priced Vortex and Weaver obviously. The Falcon is somewhat dark and very "tunnel-y" at high magnification.

I've been down to SWFA and checked out their offerings, and if the 5-20x had been in my price range I would have gone that route.

Not sure if you have the opportunity, but check them all out before you buy. If you fill out your profile and add your location someone may be close by and offer to let you check one out.

I'm in the same boat. Very new to long range shooting and was asked by my range master to join his shooting team. I just bought a Savage Model 10FCP .308 H-S Precision rifle with the 5R heavy fluted/threaded barrel. Was looking at scopes and SWFA is price matching the Sightron SIII 6-24x50 LRMD/CM against fedtacticaldirect and I'll be able to get it for $683.61 shipped! Then I start looking at other options and see the Vortex PST FFP and it's around $899 and the Zeiss Conquest which is another 100-200 more. I'd buy a Nightforce but I'd rather get a scope and have some left over to get started reloading too. Not sure how serious I'll get into shooting matches but don't want to cheap out on optics either. A 20 MOA mount seems the way to go and I've looked at the EGW mounts. I have the Burris Tactical rings on my .450 Bushmaster AR with a Bushnell 3200 3-9 muzzleloader DOA scope and like those mounts but see the Signature Zee rings are in pretty high regards as well. Setting the rifle up has been fun, I don't want to rush my choices but I'm starting to get information overload and value others opinions.

I just bought a vortex viper pst 6-24x50 ffp bang for your buck I really rate them IMO they crap on alot of scopes that are alot more expensive I was especially impressed with the lack of free play there is in the clicks on the turrets compared with the other scopes that it is in the same class hope this helps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWcomm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 3200 10x is great for the money and may in fact be the best option. But I would really like a bit more reach. </div></div>

Could you expand a bit on what you mean by "more reach"? what kind of distance are you shooting now? what kind of distance are you wanting to get out to? From what you said, it sounds like you haven't tried to shoot these distances with your current setup. Is that correct?

You might be surprised what you can do with a fixed 10x, that is what I run out to 1000 yds. Granted I typically shoot with a spotter, but I have managed some solo range time without any issues.

I have seen quite a few guys dial their high power scopes back to around 10x. The scenario typically plays out like this...
they are shooting with the scope dialed up to full power & running into some frustrations,
someone suggests they dial the power back,
they don't want to,
someone says, c'mon just try it for a few rounds, everyone's doing it,
they, reluctantly agree to try it for a few rounds.
soon thereafter they express disbelief that they were able to ring 1k steel at 10x, it was actually easier and their eye isn't nearly as strained as it was.

It is a whole new world, and all is well, until we go to do some unknown distance shooting, now we are milling targets, and their scopes have to be dialed all the way up bc that is their milling power, they have to remember to dial up for milling, then dial back for shooting... more steps, more links in the chain, KISS principle defeated.

Now like everyone else's, my opinion falls somewhere between myth and fact, but you might be surprised by what you can do with your current setup.

As with several others here, given your parameters I would go with a Vortex PST in either 4-16 or 6-24. Personally I have a 4-16 on my SPS and am quite happy with it.

Contact Scott at Liberty Optics and he'll hook you up.

I would go with the PST after seeing them and handling my cousins AR-10 which had a 4-16 PST. At first i thought he had made a bad decision but after looking through it I am now looking to get one for one of my 308's. Cant go wrong with one.

Thanks all for the replies.

What I am seeing confirms what I was thinking. There are a few good options at around the $800-$900 mark. The one I was leaning towards for that money was the Vortex PST, which seems in line with most comments.

It also seems that the next price point to improve quality is about %1,200 which opens a few other options.

Doc.308:
Your post was also consistent with some of my unsaid thoughts. Would a "more reach" scope be actually something I "NEED" to improve my shots at say up to 600 yards or is it simply somethings I "WANT"? I have yet to shoot this setup past 100 yards, so it may work just great even out to 600 yards and beyond... longest range that I know of here in SE Michigan. I will have opportunity in a few weeks to try it out at 1000 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWcomm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Doc.308:
Your post was also consistent with some of my unsaid thoughts. Would a "more reach" scope be actually something I "NEED" to improve my shots at say up to 600 yards or is it simply somethings I "WANT"? I have yet to shoot this setup past 100 yards, so it may work just great even out to 600 yards and beyond... longest range that I know of here in SE Michigan. I will have opportunity in a few weeks to try it out at 1000 yards.

</div></div>

Let us know how it goes!

I know that they are not all that popular on this site...but you can get a used Leupold mark 4 for under 1K. Sure, they might not be cutting edge any more, but still a damned fine scope(no flames needed). I have a 16x that is pushing 25 years old that has never failed or been the source of dissapointment.When SS or PST live that long, I will consider them to be a MK4's equal. Juat my opinion..not looking for a flame war!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doc.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have seen quite a few guys dial their high power scopes back to around 10x. The scenario typically plays out like this...
they are shooting with the scope dialed up to full power & running into some frustrations,
someone suggests they dial the power back,
they don't want to,
someone says, c'mon just try it for a few rounds, everyone's doing it,
they, reluctantly agree to try it for a few rounds.
soon thereafter they express disbelief that they were able to ring 1k steel at 10x, it was actually easier and their eye isn't nearly as strained as it was. </div></div>

I found this out at my first match, had to find targets after transitioning positions under time. It was much easier to spot targets on 6x-8x than 12x. Ended up shooting most of the match in that range. I use a Bushnell 4200 3-12x. Wish it had more top end, but thats why I ordered an HDMR.

Lots of good advice up there. A 2nd hand scope from Leupold might be a better buy than alot of Japanese scopes for similar money. Really depends on your situation.

My option would be a IOR if you can find a 2nd hand one of a current production model, or a new Trijicon 5-20.

I am really enjoying the 5-20 Trijicon on my Tikka. I'd own a couple more for sure.

Every once in a while you find a close out deal on a old stock Schmidt Bender, Ziess, Swarovski 30mm tube scope.

A friend of mine bought a Schmidt Bender Zenith 2.5-10x56 for $1200 a few months ago. Keep your eyes open. In Feb and March when hunting has been closed up for a few months prices may drop, especially if a shop didn't move a lot of product from a company and they decide not to carry them again.

I wouldn't look for this to happen with Leupold, but it could.

Leupold mark 4 used can not be beat. Just my thoughts. Shoot it till you decide to upgrade, if ever, and get all your money back.