• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes what scope remington 700 .308

dexter408

Private
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2009
IOR 3-18x42 Tactical 35mm First Focal Plain MP-8
or 10x42 hd super sniper or ? looking in the 1400 dollar range.

Re: what scope remington 700 .308

For that price range have you thought about the Nightforce. There are a lot of guys running them. I have one currently and had another one that I sold and I have had no issues and I am not the easiest guy on gear.

I do not have experience with the 2 that you are asking about.

Chuck

What do you want to do with it? Tactical, hunting, long range?

Here at work we use the Nightforce but I own US Optics and Leupold. All have their pros and cons. The super sniper is not a bad scope (especially the HD) but for the money there are better options out there.

Id have to agree with Chucky. A Nightforce 5-22x50 (or 56 so choose you) is just around $1500 I believe. And for a lil more you can even get the Mil adjustments too!

If I had that kind of cash to blow, Nightforce would be among my top options.

Good luck sir!

gonna be shooting long range and would like mil mil
thanks for the input guys

Those Vortex Viper PST scopes are shaping up to be pretty neat, not sure if you've checked them out yet but they have mil/mil setups available.

The only problem with the PST's (which I am also very interested in) is they are still unreleased and backordered. So its going to be at least May-ish before they are release (So I have read/heard). So if our friend here is looking to shoot soon, he would be out of luck haha

I love these threads. The Nightforce Zombies are out in full force. Buy Nightforce, Buy Nightforce.........arrgh..

So what's the matter with Nightforce, you might ask. Nothing. Nightforces are reliable, robust, and practical.

So the Zombies are right.....right? Well sort of, except that to the Zombies, all other scope makers should just dry up and die.

Want the "best" $1K scope. Save up more and buy a Nightforce. Want the "best" $2k scope, save up more and buy a Nightforce F1. Want the "best" $3k scope, save your money for ammo and buy the Nightforce.

Erectile dis-function bothering your sex life? Buy the Nightforce.

I know somebody will take the post wrong, but all I'm really saying is: that Nightforce Scopes are a great choice; But they are NOT your only choice.

The OP asked about the 10x42 HD Super Sniper, and for $800. it is a great scope, for the $, if you don't need a variable, and 10x is enough for your needs.

He also asked about the IOR 3-18x42mm FFP MIL/MIL. It is also a great scope for around $1500. and change. Is it as good as the Nightforce F1. NO it is not. The Nightforce F1 is exactly $700. better than the IOR. It is better, and that privilege ownership will cost around $700. MORE.

Now when you compare similar priced Nightforce scopes, like the SFP 3.5-15x50mm or 56mm or the 5.5-22x50 or 56mm, which are $1700 and change new, compared to the IOR, then we can talk.

The IOR has FFP and MIL/MIL, and has one of the better tactical reticles around, and if you really need it or really want FFP, then IOR wins, hands down, at that price point, only.

Compared to what the 3-18 IOR offers, the SFP Nightforces w/ MIL/MIL and zero stop, and slightly inferior reticles, are no great bargain, IMHO.

Are they bad, NO....no Nightforce is bad. They don't make any bad scopes, period. IOR does make some weirdly designed scopes, fit mostly for boat ballast, but the 3-18 is not one of them, again IMHO. Again comparing $ for $ and feature to feature......

On the other hand, you can live without FFP, but really want a MIL/MIL and a zero stop, then Nightforce wins, hands down.

It really comes down to price, plus the features you want. Nightforce is NEVER a bad choice, it's just not the ONLY choice.

Full speed ahead and damn the Zombies.....

IMHO and YMMV,

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love these threads. The Nightforce Zombies are out in full force. Buy Nightforce, Buy Nightforce.........arrgh..

So what's the matter with Nightforce, you might ask. Nothing. Nightforces are reliable, robust, and practical.

So the Zombies are right.....right? Well sort of, except that to the Zombies, all other scope makers should just dry up and die.

Want the "best" $1K scope. Save up more and buy a Nightforce. Want the "best" $2k scope, save up more and buy a Nightforce F1. Want the "best" $3k scope, save your money for ammo and buy the Nightforce.

Erectile dis-function bothering your sex life? Buy the Nightforce.

I know somebody will take the post wrong, but all I'm really saying is: that Nightforce Scopes are a great choice; But they are NOT your only choice.

The OP asked about the 10x42 HD Super Sniper, and for $800. it is a great scope, for the $, if you don't need a variable, and 10x is enough for your needs.

He also asked about the IOR 3-18x42mm FFP MIL/MIL. It is also a great scope for around $1500. and change. Is it as good as the Nightforce F1. NO it is not. The Nightforce F1 is exactly $700. better than the IOR. It is better, and that privilege ownership will cost around $700. MORE.

Now when you compare similar priced Nightforce scopes, like the SFP 3.5-15x50mm or 56mm or the 5.5-22x50 or 56mm, which are $1700 and change new, compared to the IOR, then we can talk.

The IOR has FFP and MIL/MIL, and has one of the better tactical reticles around, and if you really need it or really want FFP, then IOR wins, hands down, at that price point, only.

Compared to what the 3-18 IOR offers, the SFP Nightforces w/ MIL/MIL and zero stop, and slightly inferior reticles, are no great bargain, IMHO.

Are they bad, NO....no Nightforce is bad. They don't make any bad scopes, period. IOR does make some weirdly designed scopes, fit mostly for boat ballast, but the 3-18 is not one of them, again IMHO. Again comparing $ for $ and feature to feature......

On the other hand, you can live without FFP, but really want a MIL/MIL and a zero stop, then Nightforce wins, hands down.

It really comes down to price, plus the features you want. Nightforce is NEVER a bad choice, it's just not the ONLY choice.

Full speed ahead and damn the Zombies.....

IMHO and YMMV,

Bob

</div></div>

Bob if you read his original post he asked about the two scopes and then he said or? A lot of people have had great success with Nightforce scopes and that is probably why guys have positive things to say about them.

You seem to be wound up a little to tight.

Chuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Erectile dis-function bothering your sex life? Buy the Nightforce. </div></div>

Timeless!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Erectile dis-function bothering your sex life? Buy the Nightforce. </div></div>

Is it wrong to get major wood when buying a 1500 dollar scope?

Chucky,

My post was written in fun, as a jest, and in tongue in cheek manner.

Just to note, I said:

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">I know somebody will take the post wrong.....</span></span>

And see, you did.
grin.gif

Bob

Buy the Nightforce and forget about the others...

You know when something gets labelled as a "best buy"? Well in this case your Nightforce is your best buy... and that doesnt mean its crap either

- Takes a beating like no other
- Excellent optical quality
- Can withstand recoil from .50BMG without a hassle
- Iluminated reticles are standard
- Options for zero stop available
- Can get Mil/Mil or Moa/Moa
- Excellent customer service

Honestly, you could spend an extra $1000 on top of what you pay for an NXS and you wont see much of a difference between the two in the way of features.

Do it... you know you want to

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy the Nightforce and forget about the others...

You know when something gets labelled as a "best buy"? Well in this case your Nightforce is your best buy... and that doesnt mean its crap either

- Takes a beating like no other
- Excellent optical quality
- Can withstand recoil from .50BMG without a hassle
- Iluminated reticles are standard
- Options for zero stop available
- Can get Mil/Mil or Moa/Moa
- Excellent customer service

Honestly, you could spend an extra $1000 on top of what you pay for an NXS and you wont see much of a difference between the two in the way of features.

Do it... you know you want to </div></div>

And a Zombie speaks.......Your post is not just opinion, it's the gospel as written by a true believer.

Do you compare and contrast the Nightforce to anything? Does not the function, application, and budget that you have, and uses for a scope, have any measurable impact on the ultimate buying decision?

What if your application and desire, requires both FFP and a scope power less than 3.5x? Sorry Nightforce does not make such a scope, but buy the Nightforce anyway?

Or how about if my application and desire requires both FFP and a scope power greater than 15x? So sorry, Nightforce does not make such a scope, but buy the Nightforce anyway?

How about user selective illumination levels, without disassembly, in the field?

How about FFP, and less than a 50mm objective?

How about a reticle than has more than 5 MILS available so you can use reticle holds, on say a 308 Winny, out to 1000 YDS?

How about a eye piece that does not turn when you change scope power?

How about those outstanding Nightforce fixed power scopes?

No, Nightforce does not make any of that available, but what the hell, buy one anyway......you know you want one, even if what Nightforce currently offers, is not suitable for your needs, your budget, or your application....

No sir, my needs, my applications, and my money, goes to the scope maker, that best fits them. If it fits, and it covers a scope that Nightforces makes, then they get due consideration. If Nightforce does not make a scope that fits, they get no consideration.

Nightforce scopes must fit; I don't change my needs, wants, desires, and budget, just to shoehorn a Nightforce into consideration. It really does not matter, how great a Nightforce is: They either make what you need; make what you can afford; or they don't. And if they don't, there are other makers out there to fulfill your desires.

Hell in your world view, we would not even need an Optics Forum. We would just call it the Nightforce Forum and be done with it.

So if you need an FFP scope, for whatever reason, and you need it next week, for whatever reason, and you only have $1600. to spend, you should:

A) Buy a Nightforce NXS SFP, because you don't really need FFP do you?

B) Buy a Nightforce F1, by selling your right kidney, because a Nightforce is worth it.

C) Buy the best you can afford; that best fits your needs; and realize there will be compromises and consequences, from that decision.

So now make one choice......

So vman, what I'm trying to say, is that scope choice is more than just picking one brand, no matter how great. It is finding the right scope, that fulfills the buyers: wants, needs, desires, and budget.

And sometimes that one "right" answer is Nightforce, and sometimes it is not.......

Bob

I agree with BobinNC's sentiments. While there is nothing at all wrong with NF, which time and time again has proven to be an excellent scope choice, it's silly to basically disregard what the guy is asking for and recommend something that is not only out of his price range for what he wants, but is also lacking in features for his intended use.

Now, maybe he can find a FFP NF used somewhere at a big discount, and it'll meet his wants, and his price range, but that's unlikely.

As was stated, his budget is in the $1400 region, and he wants mil/mil, as he intends to use this to shoot long distance. The lowest priced NXS that is suited to his use is at least $300 more than his budget. And that's missing FFP. Again, I'm in no way arguing that the NF isn't a great scope, because it is, but with the feature set the guy wants (and something like FFP, which while not a stated want is definitely a benefit for any type of field shooting) the NF is not in the price ballpark that fits this particular application.

Dexter I've owned the IOR you ask about and it is a nice scope. The reticle is one of my favorites and the features for the price point are great. I would still have this scope except for an unfortunate event of theft.

Also I agree with BobinNC. Nighforce makes a great scope but that was not the original question. It seems no matter what someone asked around here someone always tells them to buy a Nightforce. Like I said they are solid proven scopes but they are not the tell all end off scopes. And Nightforce doesn't make a scope to fit everyones needs.

Wait on the PST viper, I just got my 300 win mag CXR from remington and I would love to shoot it But I need a scope and I want the FFP, MIL,MIL so IM just going to wait on the viper. GET WHAT YOU WANT! who cares who makes it if it works for you

IOR over SS for me in those models, I have both but its an older SS, and for a couple hundred bucks it has given me sterling service.

Thanks for all the input guys! i wish i could go look at all these scopes in person but no one carries them in arizona that i have found.

Well made points BobinNC

I just like to highlight what i feel are good points about the NF.

By all means dexter408, please, if you feel the IOR or super sniper meets your needs then your already one step ahead in decision to purchase a given brand.

Please do not feel that because I rave on about a given brand that i am suggesting you NEED to purchase that same brand... I am merely pointing out what i believe to be a good value for money scope that should not give you any head aches.

When I was in your position I thought about the same things... I looked at particular brands and features, some of which were different to what i wanted in the begining.

Anyways im GLAD i came on to these forums and listened to the so called ZOMBIES because it allowed me to hear peoples opinions on what constitutes as a good value for money, no bullshit scope.

What do you think about Sightron SIII scopes? They can be had for about $850... not FFP but a consideration. Or even the Zeiss Conquest?

If you like the IOR and it meets your needs, I would go with it. The glass will be better than the NF and you can adj. the lit retical to fit the moment. You will also get a better power range & retical with the IOR. One thing you will give up is some adjustment on the elev. of the scope, but if you use a 20 moa mount you'll be all set. The rest of the features per scope you will have to check out to see if they meet your needs. I like both and do / have owned both. My guess is, if you dipped both scopes in black paint so you couldn't tell who made them and tested them side by side, you would end up with the IOR. Also, the IOR comes with rings of your choice, this will save you about $150-$170 If your really torn between 2-3 scopes and afraid you'll make the wrong choice, do what I do... order both! It will only cost you about $10 to send the one you don't want back, on a $1500 investment it's nothing. And you will never have to say, boy I wish I bought the .......

Hello Dexter,

I guess I'll give my input on this one and I'll get a few things out of the way first:

1. NF are great scopes with clear glass and offer the "bells and whistles" features like FFP etc.

2. I agree FULLY with Bob.

I currently have one of the old $300 10x fixed SS scopes on my .308 and love it. Granted I have to lightly grease the o-rings once and a while to keep the clicks positive, it has performed flawlessly for me. The clicks are true adjustments on paper and the glass is clear enough to shoot at 1000yds. It's not as clear as NF, USO, S&B, or IOR, but it's clear.

It ALL comes down to EXACTLY what kind of shooting you want to do....that's the hard part. It is a little hard for me to range small targets with my mil reticle at 900yds with a 10x fixed, but I can shoot pie plates all day long at 1k.

I decided to get a cheaper scope and put the rest of my money into reloading equipment (others may call it "ammo"), but IMO they are NOT the same. If you can find a load that HOLDS 1MOA to 1k yds, who cares how far you can zoom in. I have pretty good eyes, so depending on yours you may need some zoom to help you out. In competition, you won't want to have to worry about zoom anyway, too stressful. You'll end up finding a magnification power setting you really like and leave it there...haha.

If there are no dealers for the scopes you're looking at in AZ, I would use the member link-up section to meet some people near you with nicer gear and have a look through their scopes. I'm sure they wouldn't mind. Then make a decision on what you NEED and the real difference between the glass.

I would say that glass quality is the biggie here, not features.

Good luck!
-Erik