• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What scopes are you hoping for at Shot Show 2018?

Athlon will have a few lines of scopes new for 2018. Stop by booth 3863 during SHOT and check them out...
Ares ETR line, 4.5-30x56 FFP, 34mm, ED glass(Cronus Level), illuminated, 10mil or 25 moa per rotation, 32 mil or 110 moa total travel, true zero stop and locking windage.
Midas TAC Line, 4-16x44 FFP, 30mm, HD glass, illuminated, 10mil per rotation, 32 mil total travel, true zero stop and capped windage.
Midas TAC Line, 6-24x50 FFP,30mm, HD glass, illuminated, 10mil per rotation, 25 mil total travel, true zero stop and capped windage.
Midas HMR Line, 2.5-15x50 SFP, HD glass illuminated, capped elevation and windage, AHMR MOA and BDC 600A reticle. This is the new line for hunting.

Same list I usually have this time of year. Better low profile turret options across the board, more .2 mil hash reticle offerings across the board. S&B to come out with a PMIII line and put the illumination inline with the parallax like just about everyone else now a days. Kahles to come out with a 5x line. Vortex to come out with an Ultra Short Gen II or AMG design similar to the Schmidt 5-20 and offer light weight versions of their Gen II's. US Optics to come out with something lighter and shorter than their current baseball bats. Tangent Theta to come out with better .2 mil hash reticles! Steiner to fix their T5Xi line or come out with a new line with improved glass and mechanics. See more lightweight options from all manufacturers. March to offer their new High Master glass in their FFP tactical line, specifically the 3-24x52 and the 5-40x56 along with better .2 mil hash reticles that aren't so thick at top magnification.

I'm intrigued by the new Eotech Vudu Super Short 5-25x50 at only 11.2" long but am concerned they don't have much experience in the high magnification scope world so will have to wait until this gets some true real world experience.

Last edited:
Would like to see Kahles field some new scopes, starting with bringing the 4-16x50 back or incorporate a 3-18x50 something between the mag range of the 312i and 624i.

Recon we will see something like that from kahles. I would like to see a lock turret but don't think they have that yet.
edi

Vortex Razor AMG 2-10x36 with gen 2 mildot. Perhaps a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10 compact FFP with lower profile turrets. It baffles me that nobody makes a sub 20 oz scope like this already. Yes, the new 1-8's are close, but I'll give up 1.1x to have 10x on top without compromising the quality of the image.

I’d like to see some of the Vortex PST Gen 2 line trickle into some LR Hunting scopes. Capped windage, non lit reticle, and MIL/MIL options. SFP and FFP. Specifically the 2-10 and 3-15 offerings.

Burris XTR 3 series debute

As much as I would love to say keep your eyes peeled for this, Burris isn't unveiling anything of this nature at this year's SHOT. My understanding is that there will be a lot of upgrades to the existing lines and some items added. I know a Christmas tree type reticle has been in the works according to Sky Leighton, so perhaps we will see that. But nothing new as you have suggested.

Having said that.... the folks at Greeley haven't been resting on their laurels or sitting on their hands enjoying the success of the XTR line. They have been busy with R&D and I think they have made some great decisions on the direction to take with the future XTR. As soon as you guys see what they have coming, I think you are all really going to like it.

Unfortunately, that's all I can really say at this time.. ;)

Last edited:
I’d like to see some of the Vortex PST Gen 2 line trickle into some LR Hunting scopes. Capped windage, non lit reticle, and MIL/MIL options. SFP and FFP. Specifically the 2-10 and 3-15 offerings.

Yes please.

3rd

I'm still holding out for a Tangent Theta 5-25 with an MR4 reticle. The MR4 is absolutely a perfect reticle IMHO. If I could get that with great optics and amazing turrets, I think I'd be willing to spend an amount that would risk divorce to get it.

I still want a compact and lightweight, 1" tubed, FFP mil/mil, capped but finger adjust turrets, higher quality scope, with superb glass, and tree reticle, like a 4-16x36. For my little carbines that even a SWFA 3-15 looks "giant" on. The small elevation travel in a scope like this wouldn't bother me a bit. These rifles aren't really long range rifles so 500-600Y is fine, and if I wanted to shoot farther I know how to use holdovers.

Something like this would be good for precision rimfire as well. I want to put a scope with a tree reticle and something around 12x max magnification on my Ruger 10/22, but they're all enormous looking on a tiny rimfire rifle. Considering the Athlon Talos BTR 4-14 for now, but I would pay more for a little better glass quality and build quality if I could get it in the same size.

Another great suggestion.

I echo the comments on a lighter, lower profile turrets, with usable matching turrets/ reticle.

Specifically like the Leupold vx2, or 3 line using a 1 inch tube with a moa or mil reticle. The mark AR line seems close, it's just limited on configurations. I've been reading about the new vx- freedom line that looks promising, but it looks like it lacks a mil mil option.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Can you elaborate a little? If it’s a 18 power I may wait to purchase my next scope

I think in the meantime the cat is out the bag. Previously I had been speaking to one of the Management in Kahles Austria and they told me the 3-18x50 Would be launched at the shot show. I wasn't sure if it was still under wraps or not.
I am looking forward to have a peek through one at the IWA show in Nurnberg Germany. I have a 624i and a 3-20x50 ultra short. The 50 seems much handier.
edi

I think in the meantime the cat is out the bag. Previously I had been speaking to one of the Management in Kahles Austria and they told me the 3-18x50 Would be launched at the shot show. I wasn't sure if it was still under wraps or not.
I am looking forward to have a peek through one at the IWA show in Nurnberg Germany. I have a 624i and a 3-20x50 ultra short. The 50 seems much handier.
edi

Yes Im super siked for this scope with the SKMr3

Yes Im super siked for this scope with the SKMr3

My K624i was returned to me today. I had it in for a service and had the reticle changed from Mil3 (my scope was from 2011) to MSR. I was looking at SKMr3 but was worried about the how much lights up when illuminated especially for dusk hunting and chose the MSR. Very happy with the change.
edi

The Razor HD LH is already there if you aren't set on MIL/MIL.

Dave

Maybe I’m in the minority here, but now that the EoTech vudu 5-25 super short and the Kahles 3-18 have been leaked, the main things I’d be looking for (aside from reports on those 2) are:

Most importantly!!!!!!!
1A) NF new Mil-c tree reticle. Heard they were updating the Mil-C to a tree style. Could be HUGE for them.

1) Something to compete with the NF 7-35 in terms of adjustment range and similar mag, but not $4k+. Maybe something like 5-40x56 from vortex or Kahles with 120 moa of adjustment, 14” long, 10yd parallax,

2) more RF binos. At the middle price segment I.e. $1500~ I’m really interested in the vortex fury binos, but would like to see a little more competition.

3) more companies creating something similar to the vortex l-tec turrets for zeroing. I think that’s the best, most useful method out currently.

After some thought, a Vortex Razor AMG 3-15x50 with the same feature set as the 6-24x would be amazing. Drop the weight down to the low 20oz range, shorten it up a bit, and it would be a perfect hunting scope!

ETA: It would also make an amazing gas gun scope, too!

Last edited:
As far as power range goes yes but doesn’t have exposed elevation turret or (like you said) mil options.

The caps disappeared off of mine a long time ago. It gets dialed just like any of my other scopes with exposed turrets.

An AMG 3-15x50 would definitely be something I'd be interested in as well! Is Vortex introducing anything new this year at SHOT?

Dave

Maybe I’m in the minority here, but now that the EoTech vudu 5-25 super short and the Kahles 3-18 have been leaked, the main things I’d be looking for (aside from reports on those 2) are:

Most importantly!!!!!!!
1A) NF new Mil-c tree reticle. Heard they were updating the Mil-C to a tree style. Could be HUGE for them.

1) Something to compete with the NF 7-35 in terms of adjustment range and similar mag, but not $4k+. Maybe something like 5-40x56 from vortex or Kahles with 120 moa of adjustment, 14” long, 10yd parallax,

2) more RF binos. At the middle price segment I.e. $1500~ I’m really interested in the vortex fury binos, but would like to see a little more competition.

3) more companies creating something similar to the vortex l-tec turrets for zeroing. I think that’s the best, most useful method out currently.

New Mil-C reticle isn't ready for prime time yet. Hopefully this year still...but could be this time next year?

After some thought, a Vortex Razor AMG 3-15x50 with the same feature set as the 6-24x would be amazing. Drop the weight down to the low 20oz range, shorten it up a bit, and it would be a perfect hunting scope!

ETA: It would also make an amazing gas gun scope, too!

THIS!!! Even if they have to drop it to a 42 or 44mm objective to get the weight down to low 20's, or make it 4-16 to keep it in the 4x mag range as 6-24. I really hope they make a second AMG in a mid power range. Doesn't look like its coming this year, unfortunately. There's always next year though.....

Would also love to see a main NF scope with a fast focus eye piece and where the whole ocular doesn’t turn, just a zoom power ring like 99.99% of every other scope maker. I don’t even bother to keep a scope cover on my ATACR......just too damn annoying readjusting the cover every time I change the power setting.

A scopecoat is an easy fix for that and a little bit of grip tape on the ocular piece.
A better windage turret on the atacr f1 would be nice. Find my self not feeling the clicks good enough. Starting to hold for wind more often is my solution.

Id like to see the ATACR™ 7-35×56 in a second focal plane' I'd like to own all the ATACRs in SFP