• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What seating die... pissed off with lee

EddieP

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 8, 2008
England
I am having problems with the lee seater, I'm using 155 scenars in 308 win. When I seat bullets with a moderate load it makes a ring round the top of the bullet. When I use a more stout load it removes the bullet from the case, to recover it I need to strip the die down to pull the bullet out. I know that this is due to the shape of the seater stem.

I have tried modifying the stem but just make a mess with the epoxy putty.

Will buying a hornady seater stop this? I'm trying to keep costs down as its all very expensive over in England.

Re: What seating die... pissed off with lee

I load 30-06 and .270 Win. using Lee dies and have never had this problem seating any of the myriad bullets I load in them. It sounds like a flaw in your seating die to me, rather than a design shortcoming.

Still a pain in the "arse".

Do you have this problem with other bullets seated with this die?

I've only tries a few, but its only the scenars, which are what I'm trying to find a sweet load for.

G/F is nagging for me to come to bed... But will mail them tomorrow. Cheers

If it's the center of the seating stem that is jamming the bullet, opening up the center of the plug with a drill bit may be beneficial. Beyond that, using lapping compound and a bullet tip will provide provide a better seat for the stem and may alleviate the problem.

Living this side of the pond it is sometimes easier to replace things instead of getting them serviced.
Got the Hornady one, works a treat. Solved my problems. And sensibly priced.

Eddie, me old China:

I my be dumb but are you talking about a compressed load that's pushing the bullet out? If so, you will need to crimp or a heavier crimp.

I have the Lee seating die and have used it with many different 168's, 175 SMK's, and 155 Scenars. I used to get the ring until I pulled the stem and polished it with some scotchbrite. No more ring. I have never had the pulling issue that you are talking about. My 155 load is 47gr of RE15. It's a slightly compressed load and I do not crimp. I run from .001-.002" of neck tension.

The die works fine for what it is, but after saving for a Giraud Trimmer I will be replacing the die with a Micrometer type competition seating die (probably Redding).

Just put a post up with an identical problem except with a Forster mic seater, same problem with two different seaters. Real PITA.